back to article Digital adaption, you're doing it wrong. STEM education needs rethink

With surprising timing, the Productivity Commission has dropped a report during the election campaign, criticising the widespread belief that science, technology, maths and engineering (STEM) education is an employment panacea in the digital era. In a report likely to be dismissed by both sides of politics, the commission also …

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

where are we?

It'd be really nice if the author were to mention what country he's talking about. I didn't realise this was about Oz until I saw the graph caption near the end. This is not by any means a unique instance.

2. swm

Elimination of the Middle Class

I have been watching the elimination of the middle class for about twenty years. It used to be that one could get a good job with just a willingness to work hard. With automation these opportunities are vanishing. I don't know of a solution of this problem (which is tackled in several science fiction stories). I don't think giving everyone a basic wage would work. Maybe government jobs of raking leaves into the wind might help a little.

The final result will be a lot of impoverished, desperate people who will either die or revolt. Even if a revolution is successful don't think the result will be that desirable.

Another concern I have is the concentration of knowledge required to maintain our civilization. Fewer and fewer people have the technical knowledge (integrated circuits, computer software, etc. required to keep our civilization afloat. In two generations some critical intermediate skills might disappear and we could be hosed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like