back to article Labor's broadband policy decides 39% fibre is healthy NBN diet

Australia's opposition Labor Party (ALP) has released its national broadband network (NBN) policy (PDF) the centrepiece of which is a pledge to replace as-yet-unbuilt fibre-to-the-node sites with fibre-to-the-node. Labor's policy does five things. Firstly it's an attack on the incumbent Libera/National coalition government's …

1. Tom7

AFAICT, the costing amounts to, "FTTP will cost about the same as FTTN, assuming that FTTP costs are considerably less than what they actually are." 'Fantasy economics' seems about right.

2. Jobson Grothe Bronze badge

We of the Never Bloody Never ...

Would, at this stage, would probably welcome any decent broadband that doesn't keep disappearing into the far future ....

1. The Blacksmith
      Thumb Down

Re: We of the Never Bloody Never ...

To bloody true. Broadband? Heard about it. Wireless? Heard about it. Unless you live in a major city, or next to an exchange broadband in Australia is woeful.

I could fly to Japan, book into a hotel and download an ISO of a linux distribution, and finally fly back faster than downloading it here.

Balls up, the lot of them.

3. Oengus

To bloody true. Broadband? Heard about it. Wireless? Heard about it. Unless Even you live in a major city, or next to an exchange broadband in Australia is woeful.

FTFY

4. JJKing

The government quickly criticised the plan, labelling it a product of “fantasy economics” and alleging that it will create rollout delays.

And what does mr turnbullshit call the TWO years where they commissioned SIX reports until they found one that agreed with their view of how they could WRECK the NBN. Was that not a delay or is my English comprehension different to the Canberra Clowns?

5. mathew42
    FAIL

Do voters care?

> not long afterwards we'll know if the ALP's efforts resonated with voters

The reality is that 79% of voters who have connected to FTTP have chosen to connect at 25Mbps or slower. These speeds are easily obtainable on FTTN, FTTB & HFC which suggests the average voter is simply unlikely to care.

1. aaaa

Re: Do voters care?

You may be right, but just as likely are wrong.

1. Even if you connect at 25M, you don't have contention with everyone else sharing the same HFC from the node, resulting in better performance.

2. Just because I connect at 25M today, doesn't mean I don't appreciate (and highly value) that I can increase speed in 6 months when my situation changes.

Just how many voters are engaged about these issues is the key question. Opinion I've seen elsewhere is that it's significant in a couple of key seats, and Labour think this policy is just what's needed to win a few extra hundred votes there.

2. gz3zbz

Two points:

1) It's not just about what speed people are purchasing today, it's about investing in the future as well. If high-speed connections were ubiquitous then high-speed services would follow.

2) The copper is old and unreliable. Every time it rains, people have trouble with ADSL dropping out. A new fibre network would fix this.

3. BlackKnight(markb)

"The reality is that 79% of voters who have connected to FTTP have chosen to connect at 25Mbps or slower."

Source?

Come friday i can give you a first person comparison of FTTP vs FTTN one of the few pros to renting and being forced to move.

4. AnthonyP69

mathew42,

I think you need to read this article on why there is a high count of users on 25Mbps or slower.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/05/why-arent-more-customers-flocking-to-the-nbn/

Also the number you are quoting is due to the FTTN cannot guarrantee what speed you will get when you sign up for a 25MB service, so to make it easier to report they have now lumped all speed tiers of 25Mb and below into one factor.

FTTP was able to guaranteed to deliver both 12Mb and 25Mb as well as 50 & 100 initially. FTTN cannot guarantee anything.

6. julian.smith

You of the Never Never

I've got fixed wireless (via Internode) and I love it

Turnbull's absolute failure to deliver Abbott the Deranged's rubbish FTTN NBN shows what mugs many Australians are

You of the Never Never

LMAO

7. JJKing

Broken record posting doesn't make it true mathew42.

The reality is that 79% of voters who have connected to FTTP have chosen to connect at 25Mbps or slower.

This is mathew42's broken record post. Have a look at his history and you will find this is all he can post. Small minded and no solutions offered and certainly NO vision for the future. Must be a diehard liberal supporter. This is to differentiate him from the majority of liberal supporters who can see the wisdom of the NBN infrastructure that this country so badly needs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like