back to article Tinder bans under-18s: Moral panic averted

Ubiquitous youth hook-up app, Tinder, is banning under-18s from using its service. Currently, self-declared teenagers between 13-17 are ring-fenced from adults in their own dating community, some 3 million strong. That is easy enough to shut down. With this decision, Tinder aims to head off the inevitable legal spats for …

Page:

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Yeah because no one has ever said they're 18 when they're quite clearly 15.

1. John Lilburne

And no one has ever said that they are <18 in order to interact with kids.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. John Robson Silver badge

Why is 18 improbably old?

Physical and emotional maturity are not attained at the same time...

I know/knew far more people who had serious regrets about early sexual encounters than people who celebrated them unconditionally. The difference is more pronounced for one gender - but that's where emotional maturity is particularly important for the other...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why is 18 improbably old?

It's improbably old because changing it from 16 to 18 doesn't stop 16 or 17 year olds from having sex.

All it does is mean is that an 18 year olds life can be ruined if they sleep with their 17 year old boy/girlfriend and some prosecutor trying to look tough on crime in an election year decides to put them on a sex offenders register.

Sure they may regret it when they are older but that's a completely different argument to the legal age. Emotional maturity doesn't magically happen at a certain age or at the same age for everyone. Trying to tie the legal age to something like that is pointless.

The legal age is to protect against exploitation not teenage regrets.

1. MonkeyCee

It depends a bit on exactly how the consent laws work in your neck of the woods.

Quite a few countries have a more flexible approach, where if the ages people involved are within 2 years of each other, then there is a wider band for consent.

As an example, NZ changed the law so that 16 is the standard age of consent (for straight and gays alike), but if the kids involved where within two years of each other then it's lowered to 14. Thus a 17 year old and 15 year old hooking up isn't statutory rape, but a 15 year old and a 20 year old is. Consent is also 18 for anyone where the other is is felt to have been in a position of responsibility.

Or if you're a cop, you get to assume everyone consents....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"but personally I would rather limit sexual relations and mariages for everyone to age +/- 10 %."

Why? Some aesthetic about people's bodies? A mistaken belief that a person's physical age is always equal to a particular mental maturity age?

Once people are judged by the State to be legally adults - then it is up to the couple as to what they see in each other and the effort they put into the relationship. The culture of a society should not stigmatise people or their children if things don't work out. Better an amicable parting than a family tearing itself to emotional shreds because the law demands it.

1. Dr. Mouse

That's why the legislation should limit not only the age of consent for minors but for adults too.

The most suited couple I know have a 15 year age difference. Neither is "abusing" the other. You think this relationship should be banned, and the wonderful family they have created should never have existed?

1. Dr. Mouse

I knew such "most suited couple" where everything were perfect for the wealthy husband and his housewife until they divorce.

I am certainly not talking about a stepford couple. These argue, disagree, etc. However, they are both there for each other in the difficult times, resolve their differences, laugh and joke with each other, and generally just "fit". They are also amazing parents for their 4-year-old daughter. In all areas, they balance each other out and compliment each other.

This is my definition of "suited", not a couple who never argue and always smile.

2. I am David Jones

"The most suited couple I know have a 15 year age difference. Neither is "abusing" the other. You think this relationship should be banned, and the wonderful family they have created should never have existed?"

Banned? Of course not. Merely postponed... ;)

3. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

The most suited couple I know have a 15 year age difference. Neither is "abusing" the other. You think this relationship should be banned, and the wonderful family they have created should never have existed?

Like the difference between Charles and Diana, so should he be on the sex offenders register now?

2. h4rm0ny

And what about those of us who turned eighteen and WANTED an older and more experienced partner? That's pretty common.

2. David Neil

So if you are 30 you could only have a relationship with anyone between 27 and 33?

The real world will be a bit of a shock to you

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

@AC

How a 45 year old man could build a social life with a 18 girl that could be his (step) daugther?

Just because you can't imagine something happening it doesn't mean it cannot happen. All it means is that it's probably not for you. So - move along and don't interfere with private lives of others...

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

" but personally I would rather limit sexual relations and mariages for everyone to age +/- 10 %."

Spoilsport!

4. Stoneshop
            Headmaster

personally I would rather limit sexual relations and mariages for everyone to age +/- 10 %.

Once I reach the fine mature age of 98 I'll conform to your limit.

In the meantime, I'd say "fuck you", but I prefer limiting that to the consensual relation I'm in.

5. Chemical Bob
            WTF?

" I would rather limit sexual relations and mariages for everyone to age +/- 10 %."

Wow. Just wow. You make the tight-assed Puritans look loose. My first marriage was to a woman only 70% of my age, my second to a woman only 76% my age. Neither of them would hit the -10% threshold until I am about 90 years old, at that age I'll be lucky to poop.

6. lorisarvendu

"...but personally I would rather limit sexual relations and mariages for everyone to age +/- 10 %."

Again, weird that anyone should think that way.

Between the ages of 21 and 26 I had girlfriends who were either around 5 years older than me or about 5 years younger. I never seem to have gone out with anyone the same age. Even now the age difference between me and my wife is...5 years.

Come to think of it, my kids were born 5 years apart.

Is the universe trying to tell me something?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Emotional maturity doesn't magically happen at a certain age or at the same age for everyone.

Just look at most politicians..

3. John Robson Silver badge

@AC - Emotional maturity doesn't magically happen at a certain age or at the same age for everyone. Trying to tie the legal age to something like that is pointless.

So why have a limit at all?

@AC - The legal age is to protect against exploitation not teenage regrets.

Actually it's there for protection of all sorts, not just exploitation. Teenage regrets are nothing compared with unplanned children in an unstable (or non existent) family.

The limit is in place because there are consequences which cannot be reasonably accounted for by most teenagers - and we really ought to be protecting the less able teenagers. Sex isn't something that is required for life to continue, there is no significant detriment to having teenagers wait (I know of no-one who has regretted waiting).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I know of no-one who has regretted waiting."

Me, I'd have like to have started earlier.

So that's one for you.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I dunno... I think I should have done... my first time was at 16 with another 16 year old behind a mates bird aviary.

A sexual awakening it was not...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I dunno... I think I should have done... my first time was at 16 with another 16 year old behind a mates bird aviary.

A sexual awakening it was not...

Given the environment your problem may have been the use of the wrong kind of bird. The poor thing.

:)

3. John Robson Silver badge

"I know of no-one who has regretted waiting."

Me, I'd have like to have started earlier.

So that's one for you.

Says someone who won't introduce themselves. No I don't know you.

Also that sounds more like 'wasn't offered' rather than 'waited'

2. Dr. Mouse

"Sex isn't something that is required for life to continue"

PEDANT ALERT!

I think you'll find it is*, the human race would die out if noone had sex.

* Although strictly speaking, it could be replaced by some form of artificial insemination or IVF procedure, but that's nowhere near as fun!

1. Schultz
            Boffin

Pendant Alert / "Sex isn't something that is required for life to continue"

"Sex isn't something that is required for life to continue"

PEDANT ALERT!

I think you'll find it is*, the human race would die out if noone had sex.

You just outed yourself as a horrible r̶a̶c̶i̶s̶t̶ speciist. Sex is only required if your definition of life excludes bacteria, amoeba, fungi, many kinds of plants, archea, protea, ... Speak for yourself only!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

* Although strictly speaking, it could be replaced by some form of artificial insemination or IVF procedure, but that's nowhere near as fun!

yeah, the old lesbian excuse

BUT

if you dont have a pool of unrelated sperm it's called "inbreeding" and illegal everywhere (except the US deep south and Birmimgham, UK)

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The limit is in place because there are consequences which cannot be reasonably accounted for by most teenagers - and we really ought to be protecting the less able teenagers."

Many teenager girls with no interest in education see having a baby as a way to fulfil their lives. No age of consent laws will stop that. As many of our northern European neighbours have proved - reducing teenage pregnancies is down to a culture that values good education and good sex education.

The laws in the UK raising the age to 16 were specifically to prevent exploitation by adults. Parliament failed miserably in drafting the Sexual Offences Act 2003 by not providing an age difference exemption - as they were urged to do. The result has been many teenagers being prosecuted for their relationship. Numerous middle class parents have chosen to condone, even facilitate, their children's love-life - while knowing they themselves are breaking the law in doing so.

Developed economies need youngsters to stay in education to produce a set of modern skills. That has been conflated by many as also the need to keep them as "children" in their roles in society. The "moral panic" about paedophilia has been used to blur the lines between children and adolescents. That cultural attitude retards many youngsters' from developing maturity - both emotionally and logically.

1. Ian 55

SOA 2003

A case of champagne was on offer from a minister for anyone who could come up with wording that reliably criminalised behaviour the vast majority of people should be illegal but exempted behaviour that the large majority of people don't think should be, despite happening 'under the age of consent'.

No-one won it, including you.

So we're left with the police deciding that any action in the latter examples would not be in the public interest. Not perfect, but it mostly works.

4. Dr. Mouse

"I know of no-one who has regretted waiting"

I'm another who regretted waiting. It built up sex in my head until it seemed one of the most important things in the world, which then caused problems in later relationships.

1. John Robson Silver badge

I'm another who regretted waiting. It built up sex in my head until it seemed one of the most important things in the world, which then caused problems in later relationships.

That's a genuine response, and deserves a reply.

Were the problems caused by waiting or by the unhealthy presentation of sex in the media* used in the meantime?

*Mainstream or otherwise

Because an unrealistic expectation isn't the sole preserve of the patient - would those problems have happened in earlier relationships? that might have been less able to deal with them?

I don't know the answers to the above, they are just 'as thought' after reading your post, which obviously deserved a reply.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Wow, a lot of people who want to impose their morals & ideas on others

I'm glad the people who think you have to be within 10% of the age aren't in charge of the world! The majority of marriages would be invalidated. Just because you don't like an 18 year old dating a 45 year old doesn't mean there should be laws against it.

You have to give decision making power to the individuals involved at some point when they become a legal adult. Whether that's 16, 18, 21 or whatever is up for the lawmakers and voters to decide, but once someone reaches that age it is their own damn business who they have date or have sex with! Stay the hell out of people's bedrooms, you pervs!

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@AC who wants to date my 18 year old daughter

If I haven't raised a daughter well enough to think that's a bad idea, there's not much I can do to prevent it unless she's still living under my roof. Once a child is out on their own, they are a legal adult and make their own decisions. A parent may not like some of the decisions they make, but making laws to prevent bad decisions is pointless nanny statery.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC who wants to date my 18 year old daughter

You're seriously comparing an 18 year old human to a dog? There's no point in further discussion with such an utter moron.

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A lot of youngsters before the 1960s got married because that was the only way UK society allowed you to have sex. Sex education was almost non-existent - basically "just say no" - and contraception was a taboo subject. So the result was a quick couple of kids, or more, and often a loveless marriage when the lust was satiated. Divorce was also nigh on impossible for most people.

After the 1960s many religious bodies took a long time to realise their interpretation of dogma was denying their congregations their human rights - and some still don't.

1. John Robson Silver badge

A lot of youngsters before the 1960s got married because that was the only way UK society allowed you to have sex. Sex education was almost non-existent - basically "just say no" - and contraception was a taboo subject. So the result was a quick couple of kids, or more, and often a loveless marriage when the lust was satiated. Divorce was also nigh on impossible for most people.

Again - that's a different problem.

The lack of decent sex education is an issue - and frankly I don't envy anyone charged with providing that (and am not particularly looking forward to those discussions at home either) because most of the current generations never had a decent education it makes it much harder for us to talk about - and therefore harder to educate the next generation... ad nauseam...

Don't get me wrong, sex is great - but the general presentation from the media is absurd.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
        Childcatcher

Although legally 18 year old girls may consent to have sex with me, experience shows they seldom do.

1. Kane

"Although legally 18 year old girls may consent to have sex with me, experience shows they seldom do."

I'm finding it extremely difficult to parse that sentence. Do they seldom have sex with you, or do they seldom consent to have sex with you? The difference here is important!

2. Cynic_999

"

Whatever people said, men are predators and women black widows.

"

You must have missed all the stories of women teachers having sex with underage boys. Which is just as prevalent as the other way about, but boys tend to brag about it rather than complaining.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon