back to article Microsoft has created its own FreeBSD image. Repeat. Microsoft has created its own FreeBSD image

Microsoft has created its own cut of FreeBSD 10.3 in order to make the OS available and supported in Azure. Jason Anderson, principal PM manager at Microsoft's Open Source Technology Center says Redmond “took on the work of building, testing, releasing and maintaining the image” so it could “ensure our customers have an …

Page:

1. Tom 64

Not sure if I should be happy

One the one hand, if I'm forced to use Azure, I'll know what to roll out for network facing servers.

On the other, I'm not sure if I like the idea of Microshaft screwing with an otherwise excellent Operating System.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Not sure if I should be happy

I'm fairly sure we can rely on the FreeBSD community to vet MS's contributions. And it sounds like MS are playing nicely anyway (for now at any rate). Amazing!

I wonder if any of that will filter through to OS X?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@bazza

I suppose it is possible some that make it into FreeBSD proper could filter through to OS X & iOS eventually, but since Microsoft is concerned with FreeBSD servers the changes are less likely to be applicable to Macbooks and iPhones.

1. thames

Re: @bazza

@DougS - While Apple OSX and iOS use some parts of FreeBSD, the kernel they use is from Mach, not FreeBSD. It's quite likely that none of what Microsoft has done with FreeBSD (probably mainly just special drivers for running on Hyper-V) will have any relevance to Apple's OS or even be compatible with it.

1. ziggy

there is more to the Mac OSX kernel (XNU) than Mach, there is BSD code in there too for POSIX API, security including id and permissions, some of the BSD locking primitives, the virtual file system layer, crypto framework, the bsd flavor of System V IPC, and mandatory access control for kernel objects

1. Dadmin

You got closest of all, the name for the Mac OS Unix underpinnings is called Darwin;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

Carry on!

2. oldcoder

Only usermode/application stuff could be returned.

Apple doesn't use the BSD kernel or drivers. Only a "personality" module.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I wonder if any of that will filter through to OS X?"

Common misconception - OS/X doesn't use a BSD kernel, it uses Mach which came from Next when Apple bought it. The BSD bits are the surrounding libraries, APIs and some command line tools.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Mach vs FreeBSD

The article didn't say anything about Microsoft's contributions being limited to the kernel, though if they are limited to only HyperV support and they don't do anything else then obviously there are of no use to Apple and almost no use to the FreeBSD community.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

I wonder if any of that will filter through to OS X?

Probably more relevant to ask whether any of this will filter through to MS's Windows 10 replacement...

4. oldcoder

Who said they contributed back? Or anything "contributed" was accepted?

Neither has to happen.

5. TVU Silver badge

"I'm fairly sure we can rely on the FreeBSD community to vet MS's contributions. And it sounds like MS are playing nicely anyway (for now at any rate). Amazing!"

I think this is yet another example of Satya Nadella's pragmatism and his acceptance (at last) that outside of the desktop environment, it is a multi-polar operating system world out there and that Microsoft has to adapt to that situation in order to survive as a corporate entity.

Interestingly, and I'm willing to be corrected on this one, this appears to be the first time that Microsoft has ever given back anything significant and meaningful to the open source operating system community - more of the same, please, Microsoft.

1. Tchou

Re: ignificant and meaningful to the open source operating system community

MSFT is a major Linux contributor too.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Christian Berger

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish...

... it's a classic Microsoft strategy. FreeBSD is currently still seen as a saner alternative to "modern" GNU/Linux where you don't have that FreeDesktop/systemd stuff. A system that potentially just works.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Embrace, Extend, Extinguish...

FreeBSD is currently still seen as a saner alternative to "modern" GNU/Linux where you don't have that FreeDesktop/systemd stuff. A system that potentially just works.

I think the arguments at MS HQ lie more in the direction of not being under GPL and possibly start to acquire enough knowledge to yet again try to copy Apple. Let's not forget, they're rubbish at innovating, but .. no, wait. They're rubbish at copying too. Never mind.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

start to acquire enough knowledge to yet again try to copy Apple

They already have it and they have done it in the past. If you plot Windows development build TCP stack fingerprints going as far back as Windows 2000 they go through a "this looks exactly like BSD" moment every few years early in their release cycle. This is also the moment when the stack actually starts working too (this was the case with Win2K).

So what you are suggesting is nothing new, it is however mostly at low levels.

1. /dev/null

Actually I think a BSD-derived TCP/IP stack first appeared in NT 3.5.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

God, I feel old now. I can recall installing Wollongong IP stacks on machines with MS DOS..

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Actually I think a BSD-derived TCP/IP stack first appeared in NT 3.5.

Correct. Then it slowly MSFT-bit-rotted to be refreshed again in the early Win2K development cycle. And a again a few times later. TCP fingerprinting knows no mercy - it shows exactly what you are doing and whose stack did you cut-n-paste when yours was not delivering.

In the case of BSD it is permitted by license and Windows has always complied with it - if you dig around you can find the relevant "copyrights" and mentioning of BSD in their licensing info.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"a BSD-derived TCP/IP stack first appeared in NT 3.5"

And W95.

1. Chika

Before W95. I can recall installing it on W3.11 for Workgroups. Mind you, it was a separate install.

2. Steve Channell

Microsoft Xenix had BSD compounds 30 years ago. For the first 10 years, that Microsoft was doing Hotmail it ran on Freebsd. Microsoft.net was the Built on freebsd and distributed in the Rotar shared source version.

Suggesting it's about E.E.E, is lazy nonsense.

1. fishman

"For the first 10 years, that Microsoft was doing Hotmail it ran on Freebsd."

When Microsoft bought Hotmail, it was already on *BSD. And they had a heck of a time trying to switch it over to their own OS.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Suggesting it's about E.E.E, is lazy nonsense."

Agreed. It's not as if the FreeBSD team are going to accept kernel code that's licence encumbered. If MS tried that, FreeBSD would just wish them luck with their project and leave them to get on with it by themselves. Anyone is free to fork FreeBSD. You just need to acknowledge any licence holders where relevant. There's no constraints on "giving back" or enforced source code distribution as demonstrated many years ago when MS took the BSD TCP stack and built it into Windows.

3. Loud Speaker

Personally, I am happy for them to call it UnfreeBSD, but maybe they could revive the name Xenix. Or, perhaps they could base the team at Santa Cruz, and call it SCO all over again.

4. oldcoder

It was BSD/SunOS... But as soon as MS bought hotmail it started to replace it with Windows. It just took them a LONG time and a lot of expense to do it.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

Yup, All the systemd hassles in Debian is finally making me look seriously at FreeBSD, and I've been using Linux since 0.99pl13.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Slackware is still 'clean' :)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ogi

You could try Devuan. http://devuan.org/ They made a point of never supporting systemd.

I switched to them when a Debian upgrade on my laptop installed systemd and promptly broke the system (systemd would hang indefinitely at boot) forcing a reinstall.

Reading about systemd and its design philosophy had already put me off, as it reminded me too much of the mistakes Windows did. Sure it makes it easy for clueless "admins" to manage a machine, but kills the power and flexibility of Unix, and you can't delve down easily when debugging a misbehaving machine (the systemd shell is not a real alternative). All reasons why I left Windows for Linux/Unix in the first place.

I started the transition with my test VMs, with no problems at all. Now am transitioning my physical Debian machines across to it as upgrade time rolls round. Then I will move over my web/email hosting servers and that will be it.

I moved my server over to FreeBSD though, ZFS is awesome!

Between those two operating systems, I will never have to touch systemd, so RedHat and their cheerleaders/minions can have Pottering's latest turd for all I care.

1. Chika

You could try Devuan. http://devuan.org/ They made a point of never supporting systemd.

Agreed. I have a VB set up at the moment running Devuan. It seems fine compared with my last openSUSE install pre-systemd (11.4) and all the hype about systemd's abilities to open faster and perform better seems to be belied by Devuan.

Of course, as I found out on Twitter recently, there are any number of users out there that refuse to accept that just because RedHat have successfully rammed it down the throats of the more mainstream distros and its users, and they are happily dealing with its complexities and breakages, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is right.

Ah well.

3. oldcoder

then you should check out the Slackware distribution.

NO systemd anywhere.

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Christian Berger Re: Embrace, Extend, Extinguish...

So much fun forwarding articles like this to freetards and watching them go purple ranting on about "The Great Satan in Redmond"!

6. Mpeler
        Mushroom

Yep. With Micro$oft, NOTHING is free...

(Insert virtual icon of Bill Gates and/or Satan New Delhi choking a Penguin)...

1. Mpeler
          Mushroom

To the Micro$luts fanbois - stuff it.

M$ USED TO BE good. Now it's just the borg.

Fix it, or shut up.

That is all.

3. mr. deadlift
      Joke

This behavior could incite other vendors leading to anarchy of biblical proportions...

...it's in Revelations people!

K Brockman if you are looking for the quote.

4. thames

It's probably mainly just para-virtualization drivers to cut down the virtualization overhead when running on that VM. That's what they did when they added Hyper-V support to Linux. They're just drivers which know they're talking to a VM instead of directly on actual hardware. If you're not running on MS Hyper-V, then you're not using their drivers.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It's probably mainly just para-virtualization drivers to cut down the virtualization overhead when running on that VM."

"Just" is no problem. It's the "probably mainly" that worries me. However I'm sure the FreeBSD team will be vigilant.

5. Alan Bourke

Oh grow up.

1. Uffish

Re: Oh grow up.

"They are at it again" said my wife passing over her laptop. The umpteenth +1 pop-up said "Would you like to do something we know you don't want to do - now, or this evening".

And you talk about 'growing up'?

6. MyffyW Silver badge

All this has happened before. And will happen again.

7. CompUser

Microshaft screwing with an otherwise excellent Operating System.....

I think that says it all.

2. Tchou
    Mushroom

"..so anyone who downloads a FreeBSD 10.3 image from the FreeBSD Foundation will get those investments from Microsoft built in to the OS..."

OUCH!

1. asdf

ksh forever

They can trash FreeBSD all they want but I better not upgrade my OpenBSD someday and find powershell is the new default shell.

2. Tom 64
      Mushroom

Re: OUCH!

Probably means bsdstats gets enabled by default and spaffs data at redmond.

3. agatum

Microsoft has created its own FreeBSD. Repeat. Microsoft has created its own FreeBSD

So what? Repeat. So what?

Trust is gone.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Still, it's nice to see that Microsoft and Apple are both finally moving towards using the same operating system.

1. Tchou
        Holmes

the same operating system

.. Sure if you want to be forever screwed with what you could do with a PERSONAL computer

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like