back to article Post-Safe Harbor: Adobe fined for shipping personal info to the US 'without any legal basis'

A German regulator has fined three companies for failing to change the way they share people's personal information following the invalidation of the Safe Harbor agreement last year. The Hamburg Data Commissioner fined Adobe €8,000 ($9,084), Pepsi subsidiary Punica €9,000 ($10,220) and Unilever €11,000 ($12,491) because they …

1. cbars Bronze badge

good

Showing a bit of backbone. Glad somebody is

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Showing a bit of backbone. Glad somebody is...

Agree, kudos to Hamburg! Certainly don't expect the Irish DPC to do sh1t...

==============================================

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0313/686753-data-protection/

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/an-epic-fail-for-ireland-s-data-protection-laws-1.2512866

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/independence-of-data-protection-commissioner-questioned-1.2513682

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/10/ireland_eu_us_data_protection_regulator/

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Even if the Privacy Figleaf is approved it won't cover the embarrassing bits of data transfer once one of its users gets hauled up in front of the ECJ.

1. streaky

It can't ever be fit for the ECJ purely because of the exemptions; but without them it still won't because the only way it can be made fit for EU law is by the US changing it's constitution to cover non-US persons outside the US - which is obviously never going to happen; so anything that happens without that is always going to be illegal.

1. NotBob

Don't get your hopes up. Constitutional protection only goes as far as they want them to go. I have yet to hear that an intelligence agency stopped and went "we can't do that, it's unconstitutional!" That phrase is probably a firing offense.

1. Nunyabiznes

@NotBob "That phrase is probably a firing offense"

Yeah, firing squad offense.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Commons passes snoopers' charter

By the time most readers get round to reading this article the article reporting the fact that the HoC has passed the snooper's charter will have slid off the end of News Bytes where it was posted. I don't know why this stupid appendage was added to el Reg. I suppose it might be a useful means of keeping PR companies happy by posting their press releases without interfering with the main work of the site but better judgement is needed to ensure real news doesn't go down this fast track to oblivion.

1. streaky

Re: Commons passes snoopers' charter

There is a more serious question at the intersection between this article and what you're talking about which is why does the ECJ allow the UK (and Germany/France) to do exactly the same thing without question that the US does that invalidates safe harbour.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@streaky

Remember that we only have this bill because previous attempts have run foul of the courts. I can see no reason to believe that this won't go the same way. It would be nice to think that they won't then try again.

1. streaky

Remember that we only have this bill because previous attempts have run foul of the courts

Yeah but UK courts. When it's gone before the various courts of the EU legal system the government has said "national security" and they've said "okay then" as opposed to "proportionate? no?".

All I'm saying is there should be consistency of law with this stuff. I'm not by any stretch saying they were wrong with safe harbour - I'm saying they were wrong with their response to the UK doing the same thing; and clearly so.

4. Mark 85

So this only applies to companies? It would be interesting if they could prosecute and/or fine miscreants*.

*Miscreants other than some companies and the 5-eyes, that is.

5. Mike Flugennock
    Facepalm

Meanwhile, however...

...the developers of Adobe Flash remain unscathed.

6. TrishaD

People still keen to leave the EU?

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Unhappy

>>People still keen to leave the EU?

When you see clowns like Boris and Farage saying "leave" it's probably better to do the opposite.

7. wikkity

Good, but at least impose a meaningful fine

For starters it will probbaly cost more than that to just process the payments, never mind all the effort that would have been put before sedning these out.

8. Mike Shepherd

We'll get back to you

'...the European Data Protection Supervisor said it was "not robust enough to withstand future legal scrutiny" and refused to endorse it. And in April, Europe's data protection authorities said the new agreement was "not acceptable".'

Questioned on the UK position, the Home and Foreign Offices said "We'll ask the US what we think and get back to you".

9. Jake Maverick

it's either illegal or it isn't...it most certainly is a crime! and tiddly fines aren't going to stop it, death or jail sentences is the only way to stop people doing these things.

i used to work at BT when they decided to publish everybody's name and address details on the tinternet....result being several hundred murders and thousands knee cappings and the like....most famous murder being of Jill Dando.....over a decade and a half later and still no arrests, public enquiry or anything....

ebay has also given out my personal details to my rapist amongst other things.....it's not that there isn't a law to make that illegal it's just that laws aren't actually enforced!

10. Nunyabiznes

On your mark!

It is not a good start, but at least the runners are in the blocks.

Like most civil crimes there should be a tiered response to perpetrators. Warning, fine, big fine, jail, serious prison.

11. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Yes it's a tiddly little fine - but it's an actual conviction and penalty imposed. That in itself is a milestone. I'd take it as a shot across the bows intended to give everyone a prod to actually do something - rather than ...

I suspect most companies have been in denial mode, sure that Privacy Figleaf will be along "real soon now" and that'll make everything legal again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like