nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Bloke flogs $40 B&W printer on Craigslist, gets $12,000 legal bill

Jesus Christ.

Silver badge

Yep. People like this are why we can't have nice things.

HIs mistake was not selling to a local user. This way you can make sure the purchaser is happy with their new device or not, then if problems persist you can deal with the offender using a very inexpensive baseball bat. This way; everyone's a winner.

No, his mistake was living somewhere that something like this is even legally allowed to happen.

Anonymous Coward

His mistake was living somewhere that something like this is allowed to happen...

Let me add, even after the Indiana's Supreme Court described the idiot as a "prolific, abusive litigant"...

Anonymous Coward

His mistake was selling anything to a yank.

"His mistake was selling anything to a yank."

Yeah, we're all just a big bunch of jerks on this side of the pond. So maybe we ought to call in all our loans to UK going back to WW II.

Meh

Humm.. Sounds like you haven given a "wood shampoo" or two?

Silver badge

His mistake was using Craigs List and selling out of his local area. Also, one can get decent, new printers for $50 from numerous places in the US. So I also have to question the wisdom of selling a used printer. Printers can be touchy devices at times.

Silver badge

"maybe we ought to call in all our loans to UK going back to WW II"

The one that was paid back in 2006 do you mean? Which was made generously to allow commonwealth and Europeans to die in the US interest?

lol wut?

decent monochrome laser printers are minimum $80 new in any retail outlet here in the US. open box or refurb maybe for $50... but that is the same thing as buying used...

you question the wisdom in selling a thing? please inform us of the error in our ways great god of free market capitalism...

what the hell can't be touchy at times? basically... can you be any more wrong?

"The one that was paid back in 2006 do you mean? Which was made generously to allow commonwealth and Europeans to die in the US interest?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-American_loan#Repayment

Minus the $8.5 billion we wrote off and the 90% discounts on postwar lend-lease.

I'm not advocating for the US to try to collect that. It just irks me when snot nosed brats thumb their noses at us.

Silver badge
Boffin

No, his mistake was not selling on eBay, where binding arbitration is required

If he sold the printer on eBay and had Zavodnik pay via PayPal, then all of the court cases would have been booted out of hand.

In the US, when you sign up for an eBay account, you agree to binding arbitration for all dispute resolution and give up all rights to sue. Same with PayPal. And the courts won't give you the time of day because of those provisions.

Bronze badge

Whilst I disagree with the person who riled you, I feel I must point out that we paid off those loans a while back.

Strange isn't it though. After the war you just gave money to Germany, but demanded we pay up.

With friends like that eh.

> Is mistake was not selling to a local user.

I strongly suspect that the purchaser intentionally targeted a seller in another state, so it would be difficult for the seller to defend himself in court.

Silver badge

Calling in Debts

That would I am sure trigger the rest of the world to call in all the debt that the US owes.

How much is that again?

How much does it rise every second?

Now that would trigger a 20+ year depression all over the world.

Maybe that's what President Trump wants to do? (Just a thought)

"Yeah, we're all just a big bunch of jerks on this side of the pond."

Yep. Nic of yo to admit it though.

"So maybe we ought to call in all our loans to UK going back to WW II."

Well.. yes, you could do that, if we hadn't paid them off already a few years ago.

The Anglo-American Loan Agreement was paid off in 2006.

Anonymous Coward

@Thaumaturge

>So maybe we ought to call in all our loans to UK going back to WW II.

Corporal Jones: The only thing the Americans ever charged in WWI was thein interest on the loans.

Silver badge

I'm not advocating for the US to try to collect that. It just irks me when snot nosed brats thumb their noses at us.

You should be just as irked by people who learn their history from Hollywood and get their information without context from Wikipedia.

Silver badge

Strange isn't it though. After the war you just gave money to Germany, but demanded we pay up.

Not strange at all, if you believe the stories of paranoia about the Soviet Union and communism in the US and that they were shit-scared that a broken West Germany would succumb along with the East.

Anonymous Coward

The UK WWII loans to the UK were paid off

The loans from the US to the UK were paid off in 2006. Its interesting that the "defenders of the free" made a profit from WWII and allowed Germany to not pay back all the damages, the UK had to pay every cent.

Anonymous Coward

the often used phrase "Only in America" is applicable in this case.

Would have been laughed out of court (not that it would have even got that far) in the UK

Trollface

We paid all your loans back + interest and if your going to label us all, nothing like arriving late to two World Wars, have no idea how to fight a modern war until we showed you and then you take all the credit for winning it and any major invention along the way.

Be honest, in how many wars have the US won on their own, NONE !

North v South - Win / Loss

WW1 - Win - Was it worth turning up and your military sucked in a modern war.

WW2 - Win - Late again

Korea - Draw

Vietnam - Loss and major a$$ kicking

Iraq - Loss and illegal

Afghanistan - Loss and illegal

USA, USA USA - SUCKS !!

ATG

U.K. Should probably sue the USA for damages from the loss of the colonies in the terrorist action called the war of independence

Facepalm

hmm

You mean the ones paid back in 2006? Good luck with that...

This post has been deleted by its author

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6215847.stm

Silver badge

No worries, we can always call in the 210.6bn that the US owes the UK in deficits....but we'd be joining a queue, as we're only 8th in the list of countries that the US owes debts to.

http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php

There is a story where the US state dept tried to buy their embassy in London.

The owner asked for Virginia back as his family were the original owners

Anonymous Coward

Re: His mistake was living somewhere that something like this is allowed to happen...

What I don't understand is when you start accusing the judiciary of this sort of corruption somewhere with a functioning legal system that doesn't habitually paralyze itself you'd normally expect to get yourself thrown in jail if you can't produce hard evidence. Don't get why that hasn't happened here.

Also not for nothing but it's a fairly clear case (as described at least) of malicious prosecution; for sure I know what I'd do in this case and also what I'd do if the courts didn't agree with me. There's ways, y'know?

RE: No, his mistake was living somewhere that something like this is even legally allowed to happen.

This would be allowed to happen anywhere - breach of contract is breach of contract, so you can sue for it.

In most jurisdictions however, you're likely to be asked to actually *PROVE* it.

I'd like to think that here in the UK, the Small-claims court would have thrown it out without evidence, or at the very worst required that the initial purchase price (minus the shipping) be refunded, with no basis for appeal of the judgement.

Silver badge

@ecofeco

"People like this are why we can't can have nice things but have to keep them and never get rid of them when we want to replace them with nicer things."

FTFY

Silver badge

We finished paying them back in 2006. Despite the fact that your congress decided to wait until we were on our own in 1941, then screwed us over with lend-lease because we had no other option.

It was Americas policy to end Pax Britannia since the 1800's. WW2 was how they finally got their way by leaving Britain to fight alone as the only remaining power against the axis powers. Then they swooped in once we were on our knees, but not before.

Obviously USA had to step in before Britain was invaded, otherwise they would have no opportunity to attack the Axis powers, except through Africa and defeating the NAZI's was in their own interests.

Plus attempting to screw us over on the Manhatten project ( taking our research with an agreement to share back anything you learned, but then refusing to do so until we had built a nuclear power plant to generate our own fissile materials .

If that's not a series of dickish things to do, I don't know what is.

"leaving Britain to fight alone as the only remaining power against the axis powers."

Ever heard of the Eastern front, where Axes kept 9/10 of their manpower?

Re: The UK WWII loans to the UK were paid off

Demanding that Germany pay damages from WWI lead to WWII.

Anonymous Coward

Ahhhh.

Only in America (or perhaps in some despotic, third world country) could something like this happen. Poor ba*d

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Re: "leaving Britain to fight alone as the only remaining power against the axis powers."

"Ever heard of the Eastern front, where Axes kept 9/10 of their manpower?"

Eastern front didn't open until 1941...

Anonymous Coward

Not all of you are jerks, just some of you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6215847.stm

Nice try but those were paid off in 2006 -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-American_loan

And Americans might not individually be jerks, but this guy sure was and apparently your legal system encourages that.

Not strange at all, if you believe the stories of paranoia about the Soviet Union and communism in the US and that they were shit-scared that a broken West Germany would succumb along with the East.

the UK government also believed it, and as far as I can judge I think they were right. In 1947(*) Germans would have been starving to death, were it not for the food from the British Empire that the UK government diverted to Germany. This, at a time when wartime rationing was still in effect in the UK, and when public sentiment would happily have seen Germany starve. So it was kept ultra-hush-hush at the time and is still not well known. I'm proud that my country did the right thing rather than the politically expedient thing.

(*) 1947 was the harshest Winter of the century, Worse even than 1962/3 which I can just about remember. Snow four feet deep. Actually, it wasn't that deep. I'm recalling it through the eyes of a six-year-old.

you mean the Anglo-American Loan Agreement which was repaid in 2006?

Jerk

Anonymous Coward

Already paid. thank you.

Headmaster

Godwin!!

"Yeah, we're all just a big bunch of jerks on this side of the pond. So maybe we ought to call in all our loans to UK going back to WW II."

Does this count as a Godwin? If so, is this possibly the fastest Godwin on El Reg ever?

Icon, because even a grammar Nazi is a Nazi, right?

Silver badge
Joke

"Snow four feet deep"

...well just stop standing in it on all fours!

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: Calling in Debts

You don't know much about debt & bond markets.

Most US Government Debt (66%) is held by US institutions. Furthermore, US Government Debt obligations cannot be "called" by the debt holder. All a debt holder can do if they want out is sell the bonds on the open market. The bonds can be traded on the open market, and their price can drop lower then the discount rate if too many are traded at once, but that only means the holders of the debt obligations lose money, not the debt issuer. (And if that drop is really large, the bond issue might even buy those bonds back on the open and retire the debt, thus saving money.) The debt issuer only feels the effect of it's issued bonds trading lower when they issue new bonds, as they may have to issue ones with higher interest rates. But that in itself puts downward pressure on the trading price of the pre-existing (lower interest) bonds.

Bonds & debt obligations: They are complicated. They were also designed by bankers & lawyers, so the last person to be screwable is the debt issuer.

WW 2 debt again?

I believe that these so called debts were repaid a long time ago. With all the interest.

Anonymous Coward

@tadirr

>There is a story where the US state dept tried to buy their embassy in London.

>The owner asked for Virginia back as his family were the original owners

The owner of the US Embassy in London is a native American. Just shows, you learn something new every day.

Note for the literally challenged, there might be a hint of sarcasm in there.

Duh. Both are Yanks!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing