back to article TeamViewer denies hack after PCs hijacked, PayPal accounts drained

TeamViewer users say their computers were hijacked and bank accounts emptied all while the software company's systems mysteriously fell offline. TeamViewer denies it has been hacked. In the past 24 hours, we've seen a spike in complaints from people who say their PCs, Macs and servers were taken over via the widely used remote …

Page:

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Terminator

Rise of the Machines?

Unless there is a huge building with what could only be called an "uncalled-for center" able to commandeer a sizeable number of machines, I suspect the Rise of the Machines has finally begun!

1. hellwig

Re: Rise of the Machines?

Well, sorry to disagree, but I'm guessing it is just humans.

Some criminal enterprises in generally poor countries have warehouses filled with people who do nothing but guess CAPTCHAs, weed through discarded mail, or anything else that's done efficiently by large groups of easily exploitable people.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sounds pretty bad indeed. If it looks like a breach, smell like a break, squeals like a breach, then...

Actually I hadn't heard of TeamViewer until this lunch time. A colleague was telling me how useful they found it for sorting out their relatives' PCs, etc. Hopefully they've escaped unharmed...

I was quite tempted to give it the once over, see how good it looked. Funnily enough I'm not quite so keen now...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It's quite a useful tool, but I've always uninstalled it between uses. Generally leery of remote anything software.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

The free version is probably safe. The relative needs to run the software and read out a code over the phone to enable access, and likely won't leave it running all the time.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ma1010
    WTF?

Bad idea

And with this sort of thing going on via Internet, pundits think we should hook all our "smart home" systems, including home security systems, up to the "Internet of Things"?

I think I'll pass, thanks.

1. PC Paul

Re: Bad idea

The Internet of Thugs

1. SonnyBurnett

Like the Mayor of Baltimore says: "Give them room to hack!"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I think I'll pass, thanks."

"how can companies change this lack of knowledge into real know-how?”

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2016/06/01/brits_dont_want_their_homes_to_be_techtastic/

Apparently its due to your lack of knowledge, can you believe that???...

I disconnected a bunch of Western Digital NAS before really nasty crap started happening (a good thing anyway as they all died within 18 months... Fuck WD)... But with so many downvotes for IoT in every thread... Whose buying this crap, the industry should be on its knees...

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: "I think I'll pass, thanks."

@AC

"Whose buying this crap?"

Soccer moms, 20 somethings with disposable income, total maximum zoomdweebies and maybe one or two people that know how to secure their gear...

3. Andrew Moore

That's the total reason why I have zero interest in IoT.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately the IoT has interest in YOU!

And we are not even in Soviet Britain yet. Getting there slowly, unfortunately.

3. Mark Eaton-Park

Well duh

remote admin accessible via the internet, good plan

1. razorfishsl

Re: Well duh

There is something far more dangerous than "teamviewer" floating about.

it is called "QQ" yep that Chinese "conferencing app".

it has the capability to port skip and tunnel through fairly much any security/firewall.

oh...... and it comes with a "remote control" function, that allows ANYONE to give access to ANY outside users for remote control of their system.

Think disgruntled EX-employees with FULL access to your corporate systems, external software "support" companies. etc

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Microsoft have something similar, called Skype!!!

2. Mpeler
        Facepalm

Could be Micro$oft again with their Win 1 0 updates, gone wrong...

(or who knows what they're after, maybe taking a short-cut and draining

folks' bank accounts, as that's what they want anyway - total control).

2. Just Enough

Saved your paypal password on your browser? Another good plan!

3. Pen-y-gors

Hmmmm....if you actually NEED remote access (and there are many occasions when people do) how would you do it WITHOUT using the internet? Radio? Snail-mail? Telepathy?

1. Fatman
        Joke

<quote>,,,how would you do it WITHOUT using the internet?</quote>

Ever heard of dial up????

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I know it's old-school and decidedly not-cloudy but VNC and a bit of firewall know-how goes a long way, far enough that the entry password is stored only on machines that belong to you... what a concept.

4. Tezfair
    Unhappy

Happened last week

Client of mine said she had a pop up appear and got in touch so it's been happening for at least the last 6 days.

1. Cynical Observer
      Thumb Down

Re: Happened last week

Likewise here

Do my best to keep the parents out of trouble and used Teamviewer heavily for that purpose.

They reported random activity last week which had them power the machine down double quick and take it to a local PC shop for a once over. No discernible nasties found.

But with this story, suddenly things make a bit more sense. Just been through 15 minutes of torture trying to take them through uninstalling Teamviewer for now.

ARSE!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lucky you. My parents would probably go "that's weird, the Microsoft moves by itself" and possibly "there is nothing worth stealing on that machine anyway" (except it is used for banking) before leaving the machine chug along unattended.

1. cbars Bronze badge

Firstly, couldn't you have connected via team viewer and uninstalled it? They could just click the OK buttons once you started the process.

Secondly, come on! Install an SSH server on their box, or, better, on yours and get their machine to call yours so they don't need an open firewall. Reverse tunnel! Woo!

1. asdf

OpenSSH (and it's ilk) isn't exactly free of CVEs either and enabling X11 forwarding does significantly increase your attack surface. Granted though that is whole different league of (much smaller) risk compared to running team viewer on a windows machine logged in as a user with admin privileges.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

OpenSSH (and it's ilk) isn't exactly free of CVEs either ...

That's surprising. Are you meaning current (eg up to date) OpenSSH, or just talking about people using older versions?

If you're meaning current OpenSSH, please point out the CVE's applicable to it, as there shouldn't be any:

https://www.cvedetails.com/product/585/Openbsd-Openssh.html?vendor_id=97

1. asdf

Yes referring to the past including the one big remote hole in past for the OpenBSD base (plus noticed a binpatch recently for OpenSSH). Just stating the obvious that any remote solution is going to have some security risk. OpenSSH probably still has some zero days today just like it has had in the past.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A friend got hacked and various purchases were made via Amazon. TeamViewer, Amazon, the bank and the Police all declined to get involved saying it was the friend's fault.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Kernel

Teamviewer is configurable

There are two simple ways to combat this problem:

i) Only run TV when needed for a remote connection.

ii) Configure TV so that not only do remote connections have to be approved on request, but remote control has to be manually granted as well.

Admittedly these precautions mean TV can't be set up for unattended use, but any software that allows unattended 24x7 access with remote control is going to be a security threat - when, not if.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Teamviewer is configurable

I haven't allowed remote access with a password on any friends' or family's computer either. If I need to remote in ask them for their user ID and PIN while I'm talking to them on the phone anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Teamviewer is configurable

The TV is running effing services on the background even when you don't use it. I got the 'portable' version of this sh*t just to help friends remotely.

As for my machine? VNC or SSH no way to use that crap TV service.

6. ecofeco Silver badge

Sounds like bad config to me

I've used TemaViewer. A lot. SOP was to lock down the application. Once with password access for remote connection and second with a different password for config changes to the application itself and then manual approval by end user when activated for connection.

TeamViewer is set to all access and no password required by default although it does ask for this during installation, but it's optional. Sounds like someone figured this out and just trawled IPs.

1. Richard Boyce

Re: Sounds like bad config to me

I suspect the same. You can protect your account with a strong password and two-factor authentication, but that doesn't protect the computers, which can be reached without knowing which account, if any, they belong to.

Getting through two-factor authentication that's protecting the account requires the private key, unless the criminals have found a weakness in TeamViewer's site that allows the need for that to be bypassed. I would hope that TeamViewer does not keep a copy of that private key.

Always make sure that no computer can be accessed without a good password, even if your account is compromised. That password should not be known by TeamViewer or anyone else, so should be different to the password protecting the account. Additionally, disallow the use of PINs.

Finally, there's always a possibility of a vulnerability in the software itself, so keep it up-to-date, and don't have it running without a good reason.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's not correct - TeamViewer always enables a password by default, and it's not possible to connect to another computer without a password. And hackers are not trawling IPs - that wouldn't work anyway, as TeamViewer uses a unique ID, not an IP address, to connect. Trawling IPs wouldn't tell a hacker what your TeamViewer ID was.

The real problem is users who use the same password on their TeamViewer account as on other web services which have had their user data stolen by hackers (eg. Adobe etc). You can use a service like https://haveibeenpwned.com to check if your email address has been stolen from another web site.

1. Cynic_999

"

The real problem is users who use the same password on their TeamViewer account as on other web services

"

Not sure I see that as a feasible attack vector. How would the attacker be able to marry any of the passwords to the TV I.D.? It's not as if you would use the TV "partner ID" anywhere else, so if someone had found my password because I re-used it on a web site, they would not know what TV host it belonged to.

1. fajensen

Not sure I see that as a feasible attack vector. How would the attacker be able to marry any of the passwords to the TV I.D.?

We know the mail address, now we know some passwords going with that mail address from hacked web sites.

Try if one of these works on web-mail for the mail address (everyone has web-mail, right?), if it does work then request a TV password reset, grab the new login from mail, set TV profile to what you need, now log in to users computer via TeamViewer?

7. Jim Willsher

It's been happening for at least a fortnight - a friend of mine had it happen to him. I know he has a secure password (11 characters, mixed case, symbols) but he noticed in the morning that user X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X_X had connected and transferred files from his computer. I contacted TeamViewer and I received a stock answer about security.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

I just read the article updates. This is not good. It will be interesting to see the final analysis.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Teamviewer are still at the first stage of denial.

So much liability for them to dodge, I bet that a crack team of PR consultants are not going to get much sleep tonight, wonder how it'll be spun by the morning.

Its pretty funny that teamviewer's PR cannot decide at this stage whether to send people to this link:

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/company/press/statement-on-the-appearance-of-the-windows-trojan-backdoor-teamviewer-49

or this one:

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/company/press/statement-on-potential-teamviewer-hackers

Maybe a time out and group hug is in order? Then at least get a story to stick to.

1. asdf

still

If I was an network enterprise admin though I would probably be looking for outbound connections to Teamviewer's servers and blocking those for now (after of course making sure no one in the C-Suite is using it lol).

1. Kernel

Re: still

"If I was an network enterprise admin though I would probably be looking for outbound connections to Teamviewer's servers and blocking those for now...."

Probably just as well you aren't then - outbound connections to TV's servers are the only sort permitted by our approved enterprise setup.

1. Bloakey1

Re: still

"Probably just as well you aren't then - outbound connections to TV's servers are the only sort permitted by our approved enterprise setup."

Agreed. Inbound and outbound blocked, Spotify etc.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

"The depicted scenario is a heinous abuse of TeamViewer’s software."

Well, TeamViewer team says "Regular TeamViewer installations are not affected by this particular scam, and do not represent a security issue." so that statement is about something else.

3. VinceH

"wonder how it'll be spun by the morning"

Not to worry. I expect if and when they do admit to being hacked, it will only have affected a small number of customers.

And I expect it will have been done in some sophisticated way.

4. streaky

It's not as if nobody ever used a DDoS to hide some other attack. In fact it's been the modus operandi for multiple well-known groups it well-documented attacks for some time now. The fact TV don't know this concerns me greatly.

They might genuinely not know; personally it feels like they need to revoke a lot of creds here. I just revoked all the auth for all the systems I have TV installed on but a lot of people might not be aware of the risk.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

Indeed. It has been the modus operandi since Neuromancer, when the Gang did a good one on Sense/Net...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like