back to article Microsoft force-feeds Win10

Microsoft is on everyone's hate-list again, because closing the Windows 10 upgrade dialogue without explicitly cancelling an installation leaves the upgrade on the schedule. This Knowledge Base article explains that the only way to cancel the upgrade is to click on the “change upgrade schedule” link. “If you click on OK or on …

1. raving angry loony

Give up Microsoft...

...you're drunk.

When "close window" is now defined as "yes, please go ahead and fuck me and my computer", they must have been drunk when they came up with that brilliant plan.

2. Frank N. Stein

Nadella's tenure as Microsoft CEO is quickly going downhill. Windows 10 Mobile, Windows 10 strong arm tactics, and a general lack of vision or any sort of guidance is making Nadella look like a worse CEO than Balmer, in a shorter period of time.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its about time the RNIB took MS to Court, for disability discrimination.

In the UK, the upgrade notification process seems to be in clear breach of the Equality Act 2010.

An organisation such the RNIB (Royal National Institute for Blind People) really needs to start a prosecution against Microsoft under the Equality Act 2010.

Does no one at Microsoft Marketing realise their responsibilities to People less fortunate than them?

(Sends all the wrong messages and undermines the hard work other teams at Microsoft have done regarding the Ease of Access Centre, can't someone in that team at least highlight this)

4. RIBrsiq
    Facepalm

@Microsoft

[Sigh...]

When you're exploiting tricky-language, technicalities and non-intuitive UI design, it's really time to re-evaluate the choices that led you here.

And I love Windows 10!

1. gnufrontier

Re: @Microsoft

Choice ? Microsoft's monopoly on the desktop due to wholesale enterprise adoption eliminated choice as did their capacity to squelch any application software that would compete with their offerings or to simply buy whatever started to become popular (ie. Frontpage).

As far as Microsoft is concerned, there is still no choice when it comes to the desktop not because there aren't alternatives but because corporate users will simply not retrain their personal or put themselves in a position where there is not an ample supply of labor that has familiarity with alternative application software.

I am not surprised by Microsoft's behavior. They have been this way for 25 years. They don't know any other way to be.

Choice ? There was never any stinkin' choice.

1. Mark 85

there aren't alternatives but because corporate users will simply not retrain their personal or put themselves in a position where there is not an ample supply of labor that has familiarity with alternative application software.

Then the corporates and their employees are all screwed because they will need training. Everyone who I've talked to says it does take a lot of re-thinking about how to do things.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Companies will get serious about Linux, *BSD, etc - and start killing off any unsupportable Windows-dependent systems they don't absolutely need - if the bosses have any business sense (and power). Those that don't, will go down with the Microsoft ship.

5. Perpetual Cyclist

Re: What's the big deal with wires?

I have finally got around to Minting a couple of old laptops I had abandoned as hopelessly slow when running outdated windows (xp and Vista). It is a revelation, I now have two laptops as fast as my Windows 8 boxes, with a desktop that is intuitive to any windows user, and far cleaner and more secure administration. As long as I can avoid any MS specific technology (and with cloud based applications almost ubiquitous, that is getting easier) then it is getting very hard to justify not dumping MS once and for all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's the big deal with wires?

Web based cloud apps, aye. Now if only we could get some browsers 'round here that are actually less flaky, vulnerable, and trendy as Windows.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon