back to article NBN raid fallout continues, with Conroy formalising privilege claim

The Australian Labor Party's (ALP's) senator Stephen Conroy has formalised his claim of parliamentary privilege over documents seized in last week's Australian Federal Police raid of his office and the homes of two of his staffers. Conroy has sent a letter to the Australian Federal Police (AFP), a procedural step required to …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Shakey Ground

Although I'm not a lawyer I do play one on the Internet.

I wonder where the orders for this raid came from. Police are usually loathe to go near politicians, particularly when said politician could quite rightly argue that they're doing their job.

Double particularly when there's an election very soon.

This whole thing smells very fishy.

2. Ted's Toy

I thought that being in receipt of stolen property was a criminal offense.,or does being a member of a political organization or a member of parliament or senate give one an exemption from the law?

1. julian.smith

I thought being a tool was .... being just like you

What is Malcolm trying to hide?

The Streisand Effect is strong on this one .....

Looks like Tony the Deranged lies and Malcolm the Incompetent's performance on behalf of their sleazy paymaster will be revealed to an electorate ready for someone to build the "real" NBN

1. Ted's Toy

I thought:

My posting is not siding with one political party or other I take no stance on either side of the fence side just a question of morality and legality of the action. Please remember countries work in spite of governments and the legal systems are supposed to act with impunity in Oz not as in some other countries.

2. Mark Exclamation

I thought being a tool was .... being just like Stephen Conroy

What is Stephen trying to hide?

The Streisand Effect is strong on this one .....

Looks like Stephen the Deranged lies and Bill the Incompetent's performance on behalf of their sleazy paymaster will be revealed to an electorate ready for someone to build the "real" NBN

See what I did there? We can all be one-eyed-biased if we try hard enough!

1. mathew42
          Gimp

Anybody remember the 2013 NBNCo Corporate Plan that Labor refused to release prior to the 2013 election?

Anybody remember how hard it was to find connection figures for the NBN when Labor was in power?

I'd suggest Labor also has history about keeping NBN information secret.

Let's be honest here most of the Labor bashing comes from fanbois who think their 1Gbps connections are being taken away. Labor's plan was that in 2026 less than 1% of connections would be 1Gbps. The reality is that on Fibre only 16% and falling are connecting at 100Mbps, while zero people have connected at faster speeds.

1. Hvalac

I'd actually state that anyone whom agrees with the Labor nbn plan has a more clear vision of the "future".

Why spend up to $58B to do an incremental update in the network whilst using old techs then having to re-do the network 2 more times on top of that which consists of doing the entire roll out again cost I guess you could say well over $100B in the grand scheme when you could "going by Lib figures" finish the entire network in 1 hit for up to $98B. Yes the Labor network cost more to build initially but that's because it's built to be finished.

Regardless of talking about logical ways to go, whilst someone in nbn co did leak "public" information, this whole raid is pointless because the information was supposed to be public, we the people are paying for the pos and we the people can't actually see any details about this pos network.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And why is the schedule of FTTN rollout by a public body a secret document? I think the newspapers should ask for the document under the freedom of information act, and challenge any excuse to redact it!

A planning document like that would be handed to everyone from Local Councils (to play road closures during installing of the fibers, including councils run by opposition parties), police, local shops impacted, anyone at anytime.... certainly opposition MPs.

I suspect this is being prosecuted as a leak because a civil servant didn't show proper 'blue-team' loyalty. As if the civil service is supposed to ass cover for politicians by withholding public documents.

4. Colin Tree

nbn staffer

So is there also privilege over the photos taken by the nbn staffer during the raids.

It was elsewhere reported the photos had also been disseminated.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like