back to article Typewriter for iPad review

Science fiction author John Scalzi has reviewed a Bluetooth typewriter and says it's mostly okay. The product in question is the Qwerkywriter/, a Bluetooth-packing keyboard that offers keys resembling those of a manual typewriter. The device works with anything Bluetooth-capable and includes a stand for tablets. Mechanical …

1. Johnny Canuck

Believe it or not, my company still sells and services typewriters (as well as renting them for movie props). Also, a lot of hipster types are gaining an interest in these machines with my boss being asked to speak at a typewriter meet-up in a craft beer bar.

1. Gordon 10
      Coat

Presumably the bar also has 'tache wax on tap?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think I still have somewhere a small bag of coloured key caps for the Scheidegger touch typing course my dad decided to go on :).

Been there done that. Dual colour ribbons, chalky correcting papers - all of it.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

At least with a real Typewriter

The Google (and others) snooping of your data and what you were typing would have to take a 'backspace' for a while.

1. Mike 16

Re: At least with a real Typewriter

Snooping real typewriters has prior art:

http://cryptomuseum.com/covert/bugs/selectric/index.htm

"In Soviet Russia, Keys hit You!"

2. Captain DaFt

I... actually like this.

3. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Uh oh..

Cue iPad repairs because people have smeared TippEx over them :)

Joking aside, I like this in a steampunk sort of way, apart from the price.

4. Mage Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

But $350?

Mad price. Otherwise interesting if the switches are like an old IBM or Cherry mechanical PC keyboard. Keyboard only good bit on an IBM PC.

I made a custom PS/2 keyboard about 10 years ago by opening a regular keyboard (with two membrane layers under the real looking keys). Then 15c (retail, but not Maplin) miniature switches on matrix strip board / veroboard wired to the IC.

I'd guess, including Asian labour, this costs under $15 to make. I use a USB miniature "server bay" keyboard with USB2go adaptor on my phone, or sometimes a USB 7" tablet cover I picked up for a fiver.

I got rid of the fake mechanical keyboard on my workstation and found an early "Win keys" real mechanical keyboard in the attic, much better for typing 10K words a day. I'd not like stiffer keys.

5. Buzzword

"for iPad"

If it's Bluetooth, then it should work with any computing device, not just iPads.

1. Steve I

Re: "for iPad"

"If it's Bluetooth, then it should work with any computing device, not just iPads."

True, but if you said that, you wouldn't get the "LOL - iPad owners are so stupid" comments...

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: "for iPad"

Quite famously not Android 4.3.

6. TRT Silver badge

*accidentally swipes iPad from stand onto floor with over zealous carriage return lever strike*

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm advocating for my company returning to typewriters...

.. actually it looks it doesn't understand how to use computers at all. Most of the time you need to print something, and then deliver it on paper by hand. Forcing people so fond of papers to get back to typewriters (no facebook, eh eh) and dial phones would be the well deserved punishment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm advocating for my company returning to typewriters...

Forcing people so fond of papers to get back to typewriters (no facebook, eh eh) and dial phones would be the well deserved punishment.

Only if you bent a couple of hammers so they keep tangling, and wired the phones so the dialling would ping the bell for each pulse. Details matter :).

2. Barry Rueger

Re: I'm advocating for my company returning to typewriters...

The last time I used a dial telephone I actually had to stop and think what to do.

And wow, is it a slow and painful way to enter seven numbers when you're used to speed dial on a smart phone.

(If you think the phone is primitive you should see the mechanical switches at the other end!)

8. Herby

Not truly "typewriter"

If it were, it would have the big lever that returns the carriage and indexes the platen up one line. Most of these were actually attached to the mechanical carriage suitable for reaching with your right hand and slinging it across in front of you. Of course it might also ring the bell when you got too close to the edge of the paper as well.

Yes, dial phones are cool as well, and (at least here in the USA) work on most telephone exchanges.

9. PJF

Wrong side?

Isn't the swing-right on the wrong side of the carriage return?

Or (more than likely) I'll getting too old to remember (CRS syndrome).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wrong side?

It is, but it might be deliberate....someone above mentioned how easy it would be to swipe the tablet with an enthusiastic carriage return; but it'd be more difficult with the lever on the 'wrong' side.

1. stucs201

Re: Wrong side?

No, not the wrong side. Lever on the left is correct. On a real typewriter you need to get the left of the page back to the typing position to start a new line, which means pushing from the left.

On a side note these levers are why the use of CR-LF as a line separator bugs me. On every mechanical typewriter I've used the lever does the Line Feed before the Carriage Return.

10. MachDiamond Silver badge

Adding functionality to a tablet

When I was doing more journalism, I met another journalist that carried a full size keyboard to plug into his laptop. It worked great and he commented that he could type much faster and with better accuracy than what was possible using the laptop's keyboard.

Tablets of all kinds are Consumption devices. If you need to Create something, they suck. This keyboard looks the part, but fails on the cost. The problem with shrinking electronic devices is that it becomes increasingly harder to use them for anything serious. I know people that swear that they can do all of their work from their smartphone, but I find that 1/2 or more of the communications from them are exceptionally poor. I often get replies from people when I send several questions that don't make any sense. How can one answer "yes" to a multiple choice question? I blame many of the problems to not having enough screen space. They only see the last couple of sentences and have already forgotten everything that has scrolled up and out of view.

1. Barry Rueger

Re: Adding functionality to a tablet

The problem with shrinking electronic devices is that it becomes increasingly harder to use them for anything serious.

That's primarily because the software on devices is stupendously bad.

Android is an obvious example, where even text messaging and Twitter is a challenge.

The saving grace is BlackBerry's keyboard software, which can now be loaded to Android phones.

Don't know if it's actually in the Play store, but the apk isn't hard to find.

The predictive text is excellent, and I'll happily write multi-paragraph message without spelling mistakes.

It's good.

11. GoingGoingGone

Bluetooth???

What a distasteful and unnecessary concession to modernity. This is how you recreate the real feeling of a the good 'ol typewriter on your iPad:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670632/itypewriter-yes-its-an-ipad-typewriter

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon