back to article PHP pioneer and Zend co-founder enlists for AWS big-data mission

Andi Gutmans, a pioneer in scripting language PHP and co-founder of Zend Technologies, has joined Amazon’s cloud. Gutmans has become general manager of the NoSQL Group, part of the AWS data services unit. According to his LinkedIn profile, Gutmans is “working on the next generation of NoSQL database”. Gutmans blogged here: “ …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My dad

Doesnt code in Java. He grows taties down't allotment.

2. FIA Silver badge

Ahh, PHP, got to love any language where 'a < b', 'b < c' and 'c < a' can all be true. (Without changing the values for a, b and c).

I don't know why you'd use anything else.

1. Pseudonymous Diehard

Yeah

Its a mad language...but it is very easy to pick up and extremely flexible. I use it for all sorts...web stuff to admin scripts.

Its just easy to hack together a working script with it.

Arguably the quirkiness is what makes it easier to learn...ironically. Especially given the very usable error output.

Ive used a large variety of addins as well. The trader functions (whilst poorly documented) are very good and the LDAP functionality (again with miserable documentation) is also very powerful. So much so that I prefer it to Powershell...which isn't a hard situation to imagine.

I am by no means new to coding though...ive been at it since QBasic making tiny bananas with big 'splosions. Gorillas ftw.

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: Yeah

Its a mad language...but it is very easy to pick up and extremely flexible. I use it for all sorts...web stuff to admin scripts.

Oh, don't get me wrong, just because it's a truely awful language (the way print TRUE?"A":FALSE?"B":"C"; prints B being a particular favourite of mine), that appears to be really badly written doesn't mean it's not useful, or that you can't write good code using it. (just that you possibly shouldn't ;) ). I've written a fair bit of PHP in my time, and may yet do again.

Its just easy to hack together a working script with it.

This does seem to be the best use for it really, quick and dirty scripts, rather than anything large.

Arguably the quirkiness is what makes it easier to learn...ironically. Especially given the very usable error output.

If you think PHP is easy to learn, you should take a look at some of ther other modern scripting languages. (I'm currently learning to really love Groovy for example) A lot of them as as easy to use as PHP (if not a bit easier), and a consistant API is a wonderful thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The only thing wrong is a programmer choosing to write

print TRUE ? "A" : FALSE ? "B" : "C";

Its not PHPs fault that someone does not understand the order of evaluation, and chooses to write a completely irrelevant and nonsensical bit of code.

If you want it to work the other way round just add brackets

print TRUE ? "A" : (FALSE ? "B" : "C");

But the real answer is to just write

print 'A';

There, coding problem solved.

1. FIA Silver badge

The only thing wrong is a programmer choosing to write

print TRUE ? "A" : FALSE ? "B" : "C";

Yeah, you're right, noone ever needs a nice convenient if,then,else-if construct. My bad.

Its not PHPs fault that someone does not understand the order of evaluation, and chooses to write a completely irrelevant and nonsensical bit of code.

It's not PHPs fault, but it is a little odd that a language that on one hand seems to want to implement every form of every function under the sun (to ostentiably make it easier to learn/use for people with experience in other languages) then has an operator with precedence opposite to virtually every other language. I mean as a programmer I really hate consistency.

If you want it to work the other way round just add brackets

print TRUE ? "A" : (FALSE ? "B" : "C");

But the real answer is to just write

print 'A';

There, coding problem solved.

....and point missed. ;)

2. energystar
        Windows

Servers have to serve. Even stupidly serve. More than 2ms? Are you mad?

A server is more Comm Software than an axiomatic Nazi.

But, you are RIGHT, PHP lacked a lot the Scientist and Math touch... Grown very loose and organically. Where Math and Scy people where at development? Lost at Pythonic Speed Land?

3. Sudosu Bronze badge

"I am by no means new to coding though...ive been at it since QBasic making tiny bananas with big 'splosions. Gorillas ftw."

...and I thought I was the only one that made nuclear bananas that locked up my 386 for 10 minutes during class.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like