back to article United Nations orders plan for tackling online terror propaganda

The United Nations Security Council is going to try to do something about the internet's role in promoting hateful ideologies and terrorism. The body spent Wednesday in an “Open Debate on Countering Terrorist Narratives”, during which Microsoft's veep and deputy general counsel Steve Crown said there is no “silver bullet” that …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good. It's about time someone stopped Teresa May spouting terrorist narrative all the time.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

My dear fellow, this doesn't apply to her. Because she isn't a Muslim or an Irish Catholic.

Plus she's a Tory. So whatever she says go unfortunately.

3. Ole Juul

I was wrong

It seems that all internet "problems" are perceived to be solvable with censorship but I had hoped that the UN would be above that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I was wrong

Just read their Agenda 21 manifesto.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Depends on what the problem is. If the problem is 'not enough military budget' or 'not enough approval for mass surveillance' then increasing censorship is the solution. Everyone will believe censorship is for the government to hide the truth, and when the censored documents say you can sit on a bomb to blast your way to Jannah, a few will believe it. The security services need those bombers because of the Shirky principle.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If there's a career politician involved anywhere then censorship is on the cards.

4. Mark 85

Well... this is going to get interesting. Has the UN decided on it's definition of "terrorist" or "terror propaganda"? I suspect much quibbling over which country, which politicians, which sites are "terror related". I'm sure the US is right up in the league with the terror groups. Also, the EU, UK, Russia, China, and a few others.

1. Christoph

Yes, can we please stop the countries which are terrorising people by continuously flying drones over their homes, and every so often swooping down and killing people at apparent random? And then they wonder why people hate them?

What have the drone campaigns done to the ordinary people trying to go about their business?

What have they done to the children who have lived their entire lives with lethal demons flying over them every day, killing their friends and neighbours at whim, and nothing whatever can be done about them? Because some politician thousands of miles away thinks it will boost his ratings. Can you imagine what effect that has on those children? We might find out decades from now - Oh gosh, why can they possibly hate us so?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Step 1: Get the security council to agree on who is a terrorist.

Step 2: Get a unanimous vote from all the other members

Step 3: Make a plan

5. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

If censorship is the answer...

... it was a stupid question.

Some people are going to believe whatever they read, no matter how "hateful" or ludicrous it is, trying to suppress it will only make matters worse since clearly we are "scared" of the "truth" of it.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: If censorship is the answer...

"Some people are going to believe whatever they read, no matter how "hateful" or ludicrous it is"

See: Trump voters.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't they tackle all propaganda?

You know,

Governments using the media to forward their totalitarian vision of the future. (IPB)

Corporations using the media. (Needs no explanation)

I mean terrorists do need their propaganda stopping but in the grand scheme of things they don't really have the same clout as the established media.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Expecto Patronum

Surely, if there are magic words that when spoken cause people's brains to go "ka-blowy" turning them into kill-bots, then we should learn these words and broadcast them into ISIS territory? Some sort of Harry Potter type spell words?

Avada Kedavra!!!

No? But the UN says there are magic words? Like I saw in Harry potter? And we need to control these spells, lest if they're spoken, bad things happen!

Macbeth!

You mean there aren't magic words? So how do ISIS recruit from Egypt if there aren't magic words?

Oh... I remember, Arab Spring, Egyptians kicked out the military dictators and Hosni Mubarak, and elected a moderate muslim government led by Mohammed Morsi. That government then tried to remove the generals from the constitutional power. As a result they were demonized, arrested and a military puppet government put in power. Pissed off Egyptians have no moderate democratic way forward, join extremists.

Yeh, and asshats among our own people try to use this as a means to Censorship and Surveillance and Power over their own people.

Asshats Expelliarmus!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Expecto Patronum

Avaba Consarnie

That's the muslim terrorists sorted. Who's next?

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

One man's terrorist....

...is another mans freedom fighter.

9. DeKrow
    Mushroom

Post WWII Foreign Policy

See icon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like