back to article Russia faces Ukraine and Georgia in Eurovision deathmatch

In what promises to be an entertaining night, politically at least, Russia, Ukraine and Georgia will face off in Saturday's Eurovision Song Contest final in Stockholm. Yesterday's second semifinal saw Ukraine's Jamala's cheerful ditty 1944 safely through to challenge Russkie crooner Sergey Lazarev and You Are The Only One for …

1. Alister

adding a new level of excitement for hundreds of millions of viewers in Europe and beyond.

I can hardly contain my excitement indifference...

1. tony72

If only it was literally a deathmatch, then they'd have something.

2. zen1

It's a shame I can't up vote this more!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russia should have gone with Crimea River...

1. Simon Harris

Or Georgia On My Mind.

... or if they've set their sights a bit further west... Moldova Beethoven.

3. VinceH

As per the last couple of years, I shall have my cider ready, and will be tweeting slightly inebriated from the beginning (becoming more inebriated as the evening rolls on).

1. Sartori

Yep, that's been my approach too, albeit wine, rather than cider in my case. It definitely makes the whole proceedings a lot more fun :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poland's 2014 effort should win.

Every year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Poland's 2014 effort should win.

I upvoted, purely cause I'm Polish.

what, BOOBIES?! Anytime!

God, they DO have large mamaries, don't they... Kinda Bavarian-style...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Discrimination!

What's wrong with 9 and 11 then, you Eurof***ers?

Presumably some advanced mathematical modelling established that including those numbers in the allowable points would somehow stop all the crappy little countries doing their usual tribal voting?

But then again, why should we care? Eurovision met its Waterloo in 1974, and it's all been downhill since then. This year would appear to be its Kursk.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Discrimination!

This year would appear to be its Kursk.

Why, are you expecting the 2nd and 1st SS Tank Division to fight on the side of Eurovsion?

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

The suffering, I feel it.

"This song is precisely what we are all suffering in Ukraine today."

Phew, lad!

Well, I am sure the Azov battalion agrees.

Anyway, this should yield some epic disses.

7. Christoph

" the UK and its magnificent musical heritage would be better represented by this slightly less anodyne duo"

The UK should be represented by Fascinating Aida!

1. Dan Wilkie

They should bring back Daz Sampson!

8. eJ2095

Wheres

Farther Dougall and Teds "My Lovely Horse" entry?

1. James 51
      Gimp

Re: Wheres

That would probably be RoI rather than UK.

There's no horse icon so...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

NOT HEARD ANY OF THE SONGS

But is doesnt matter, for the first time in my life I am going to vote, and vote Ukraine - just to piss the Russians off.

I would hope everyone else in Europe would do the same.

Putin and his Polonium armed cronies dont scare m.......

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The stage technology

makes American Idol look like it is done in a garage ... by 4th graders ... in 1970. Fantastic stuff ! The stage floor lighting is particularly exceptional. Great job European technogeeks ! Would love to know how they do it.

1. zen1

Re: The stage technology

God I'm glad that show is finally being taken off the air. I lost shortly after they rejected William Hung...

She bang....

11. Matthew Taylor

All I know is, Bulgaria was robbed - ROBBED I tell you.

12. LINCARD1000
    Happy

Here in NZ we got the UK feed with Graham Norton's voice-over. Geeze he's a snarky wee fellow at times, isn't he? Crikey.

Great entertainment* as always :-) Although I thought Poland's jacket should have won. Not their entry, but the singers jacket. That was epic. Ukraine's entry was a bit... meh. Bring back Svetlana Loboda from a few years back, her entry was amazing.

* entertainment does not necessarily mean some of the entries were any good. Bad can be entertaining, after all.

13. jake Silver badge

Eurovision "song" contest?

Mindless drivel pap contest, more like ... And undoubtedly the ancestor of the over-produced, badly written, so-called "reality TV" shows that infest network television today.

The fact that people get extremely political and/or nationalistic over this crap is sad, in the old meaning of the word.

14. arctic_haze

So Ukraine won and Russia was third

And frankly speaking both the songs (and also the Australian one in the second place) were good ones, at least on the scale of Eurovision entertainment.

It's only a shame that the votes of the juries and the public seem to be anticorrelated.

1. Pedigree-Pete
      Pint

Who cares.

Britain sure punches way above it's weight when it comes to measuring song writing in commercial terms.

One for The Beatles, The Stones actually pick almost anyone. PP

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like