back to article A cracked window on the International Space Station? That's not good

British astronaut Tim Peake has sparked an orbital kerfuffle after he tweeted a picture showing a crack in the International Space Station's window. It was caused by space debris. Often asked if @Space_Station is hit by space debris. Yes – this chip is in a Cupola window https://t.co/iH87Dt80yV pic.twitter.com/7ZvVs4myM0 — Tim …

Page:

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Guidelines - credit to SpaceX...

I noticed that SpaceX sheds the satellite shroud panels (the cover thingies) almost as soon as they're out of the atmosphere. Long before reaching orbital velocity. They'd fall back almost immediately.

Traditionally, based on what I've seen before with NASA and ESA, they'd would reach orbit, and take a tea break, and then deploy the shroud panels (dumping them into orbit for who knows how long).

Give full credit to SpaceX for figuring that out on their own.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Guidelines - credit to SpaceX...

SpaceX is currently looking at ways/methods to recover the fairings, much like the Stage 1 Booster. Its a fairly expensive part (several million), though not in the same league of savings, from reusing the 9 Merlin Engines/Booster. its still worth recovering.

Really. we should be thankful Musk is the sort of person that prefers to fix something and reuse, than throw it in the bin and buy a new one. The message he is subtly projecting is the right one, going forward.

1. smartermind

You mean like pointlessly hurling a roadster into space, just because he could? Or selling pointless flame throwers just because he could? Yup, he sure doesn't like waste! /sarc.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"You mean like pointlessly hurling a roadster into space, just because he could?"

Instead of a large block of concrete/lead - which is the traditional payload for test launches.

$HINT: It was a test flight of a brand new high payload rocket system with a self-professed 50:50 chance of blowing up before clearing the atmosphere. They offered a free ride to any takers, but noone was game(*). The roadster was cheap publicity (costing far less than the fuel) and the suit was the expensive part anyway.

(*)The last group who took a free ride on a new booster (Ariane 5) ended up digging parts out of a swamp.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And the ex inside the space suit** went along at no charge

**this is of course an unwarranted and unproven slur, as no missing exes have turned up, and Elon is unlikely to want to be saddled with the kids.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shedding the panels should result in fuel savings as well, right? No clue how much mass we're talking about, or how much fuel savings. I'd imagine that the vast majority is spent in the early stages of a launch, but still...

1. Black Betty

Negligible at that point in the flight. As a matter of fact, the shuttle external fuel tank was deliberately jettisoned with enough unburned fuel for it to have completed the trip, AND left quite a few more miles on the shuttle's OMS into the bargain.

I think rather than returning boosters intact, fly them whole to orbit, then disassemble them there, returning only the really, really expensive and as it happens most rugged components. Engine assembly, computers, and the flight controls can all be bundled up behind a heatshield they for parachute recovery.

Keeping the tall, unstable, flimsy and relatively cheap tanks intact, and holding everything together, is the hardest part of the whole recovery process. Why not take the tanks all the way to space and use them for free cubage, pressurised construction shacks or just plain slice them up for raw materials.

The construction shack is a particularly useful idea. No need for fancy meteorite protection. It's just an empty space that can hold enough pressure to allow workers to work in flexible lightweight air suits. The shack itself would be filled nitrogen or argon for safety. If the shack does lose pressure, the workers are safe. Stuck in sumo suits, but safe.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

@Black Betty

I agree with your idea, intellectually speaking, but basic principle of staged rockets is to shed the dead weight to get into orbit using less fuel. Keeping the dead weight kinda defeats the purpose.

Until we find some other way of lifting mass into space, we're probably stuck with the current status quo.

2. Timbo

"Shedding the panels should result in fuel savings as well, right? No clue how much mass we're talking about, or how much fuel savings. I'd imagine that the vast majority is spent in the early stages of a launch, but still..."

One can't shed the panels too soon, as they are used to help the initial launch phase where the "air wall" in front of the rocket is very large.

Rockets go from 0-400 km/h within 30 secs and reach 1000 km/h within 60 secs, 2000 km/h after 90s and by 2 mins are at 4000 km/h. After 150 sec, 7000 km/h would be reached and at approx 3 mins, the fairings are dispensed with, by which time 8500 km/h would have been reached.

Without the fairings all that "air wall" pressure would damage the payload section* of the rocket.

* = which tends to be at the top (front) of the rocket.

3. Seajay#

Shedding the panels should result in fuel savings as well, right?

In Kerbal Space Program people have done some tests which suggest that for optimum efficiency, you should shed them somewhere around 20km. Obviously it's not an accurate model of the real atmosphere but presumably the principle holds.

The down side is that if you shed your panels while still thrusting and still in atmosphere, you increase the risk of them impacting the rest of your space craft. Reasonably enough, NASA are a bit wary of items falling off and impacting, oh for example, a thermal protection tile.

3. Rustident Spaceniak
      Stop

Credit where credit is due, but that's to all.

Not sure what you've "seen" from NASA and ESA, but all modern launch vehicles separate the payload fairings well below reaching orbit. In the case of Ariane 5, it's typically between 110km and 125km, depending on payload - anyway, as soon as the heat flux from atmospheric friction is low enough. No launch provider would carry unneeded panels any longer than necessary; payload mass is much too valuable for that.

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

RS offered: "Not sure what you've 'seen' from NASA and ESA, but all modern launch vehicles separate the payload fairings well below reaching orbit."

Mostly during the previous millennium. A famous example that springs to mind would be the "angry alligator".

4. Adrian Midgley 1

Also no point carrying fuel to accelerate them further.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cracked windscreen

Hello, is that Autoglass?

Ah, um, the location of the vehicle? Right.

What do you mean, you don't do Earth orbit?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cracked windscreen

It would be $10,000,000 but since you're insured you just have to pay the excess.

How much is the excess?

It's $10,000,000

2. Gary 24

Gavin's on his way...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"It's only 205 miles away, at times, but you have to be quick if you want to catch it. If you wait too long it could be several thousand miles away."

2. Dan Wilkie

Ready to fill you up with his special resin?

3. el_oscuro

We used to get Dominoes Pizza delivered to military grid coordinates:

"We would like 3 large pepperonis"

"Address?"

"Three Four Zero Eight Zero Alpha Eight "

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't worry...

... Nadella will try to replace those windows too with Windows 10.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't worry...

Nah...Microsoft Windows wouldn't be Windows, without a few holes in it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Gates Horns

Call that a hole?.. That's not a hole...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The new Windows will be free until July 28th.

4. oldcoder

Even though the replacement windows won't fit...

Leak like a sieve...

Will be replaced without notice...

while still leaking like a sieve..

and contain an undocumented camera...

And cause frequent total failures.

4. John Robson Silver badge

Holes

There are 7 holes all the way through the cupola walls. Used to close the debris shields...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSzuiqVjJg4

An eighth wouldn't be good

1. Spoonguard
      Facepalm

Re: Holes

7 holes seem good enough for me!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Transparent ALUMINUM?

That's the ticket, laddie.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Transparent ALUMINUM?

And now I just NEED those Jefferies Tubes. Maybe with Xenomorphs inside.

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

Sapphire.

Aluminum (with some Oxygen) and Transparent.

2. ingie
      Coat

Aye, The size of Whales.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

Ahem.

Aluminium. If you please.

Thank you dear boy...

Now, do excuse me, i have tea and scones waiting for me.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

'Tis a sad problem caused by the revolting colonials, is it not?

But not to worry, as they'll soon all be speaking Spanish, and the problem of Merkins mangling the Queen's English will simply fade away.

2. h4rm0ny
          Unhappy

Sadly El Reg now uses American English. I sent a correction to them on an unrelated issue a while back and mentioned in passing that they'd used an American spelling. Got told that as they now have more readers in the USA, that's what they're using.

Lewis Page gone, American English and other sordid changes... El Reg is British no longer.

1. tiggity Silver badge

" they now have more readers in the USA,"

Difficult to definitively tell when so many people use proxies that make it appear as if they are in the US.

1. Keir Snelling

I'm in the UK, but posting from my American employer's network, so suspect my IP makes me look septic.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

" they now have more readers in the USA,"

Perhaps they could surrender register.co.uk then? And we could arrange for the restoration of the property to its former glory. Meanwhile, the current editorial team go make closer friends with all the Forrest Gumps who seem to need to despoil any English-speaking comment forum with input that can be summarised as "life is like a bawx of chawclates"

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

El Reg might not be "British" but English is English. Being in a different time zone is no excuse for not using it properly.

1. smartermind

There be many variants of Zinglish, not just ze "Queen's English".

Even in Blighty, "of" is replacing "have" and "loose" replacing "lose".

Used to it get, things ain't going back to ze Empire. Not even post-Brexit.

(Sic)

3. x 7

actually......"Aluminum" is the older name and should take precedence. "Aluminium" only exists because of a later British attempt at systemising the name to match other metals

1. Adrian Midgley 1

Actually the systematised version should take precedence.

Using metres for spacecraft orbits helps also.

4. Mark 85

I tend to think that preferring one spelling over another is a bit of a crock. I'm quite comfortable reading both American and the Queen's English (I'm in the States). The spellings and usage should reflect the host/home countries preferences. I do wish the spellcheckers would reflect this as it seems depending it's mood, either the Queen's or American will flag as wrong.

Sidenote: My lady is having a novel published by an Australian publisher and they are converting the spellings to their version even though my lady is American and the novel is set in the States. After all is said and done, that will work for both of us.

3. WraithCadmus
          Flame

IUPAC has solved this, to wit:

• Aluminium
          • Sulfur

Icon: Exothermic reaction, may involve sulfur.

3. Anonymous Blowhard

And there's a picture of the man himself right next to the article (linking to this article); I tell you the Internet is sentient, and is messing with our heads.

6. wsm

Surely...

Dyson has a solution by now.

1. Sartori

Re: Surely...

Well, he is usually pretty good with vacuum's

2. emmanuel goldstein

Freeman or James?

1. Tom_

"Freeman or James?"

Miles.

3. Adam 1

But his solution would just suck.

- ah yes, that's where I left my coat.

7. ecofeco Silver badge
    Coat

Thank god the screen doors are still working.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like