back to article Official: Microsoft's 'Get Windows 10' nagware to vanish from PCs in July

Microsoft's "Get Windows 10" nagware will be killed off in July, the tech giant has told us. The software has been worming its way into Windows PCs via Windows Update since last year using aggressive malware-like techniques and frequent pop-up reminders. It quietly downloads and installs Windows 10 automatically for you, and …

Page:

1. flszen
    Trollface

Removed How?

"and eventually removed from PCs worldwide" ... by automatically installing Windows 10 on them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Re: Removed How?

"on July 29th the Get Windows 10 app that facilitates the easy upgrade to Windows 10 will be disabled and eventually removed from PCs worldwide. "

Not any of mine it won't. --->

Still, curious to see what M$'s definition of "eventually" turns out to be...

1. Vector

That needs some editing...

Should read:

... the Get Windows 10 app that facilitates the easy tries to force the upgrade to Windows 10 will be disabled...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Still, curious to see what M$'s definition of "eventually" turns out to be.."

I wondered that too. About 5 years?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Gates Horns

"I wondered that too. About 5 years?"

I was thinking "when the W11 pressureware is deployed" - so about 5 years would probably be about right...

3. Captain DaFt

"Still, curious to see what M$'s definition of "eventually" turns out to be..."

When Win 10 is the only MS OS installed anywhere, obviously.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wow along with Ted Cruz dropping out could this week get any better?

1. Mark 85

Only if you believe MS. Note that "the details are still being worked out".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Only if you believe MS. Note that "the details are still being worked out".

I assume those details are how to use it for the monthly charge billing.

2. JetSetJim
        Paris Hilton

> Wow along with Ted Cruz dropping out could this week get any better?

Trump could drop out, too?

3. Bob Vistakin

Microsoft have said they want Windows 10 to be the last windows ever, and just constantly update it online.

1. PNGuinn
        FAIL

Re: "Microsoft have said they want Windows 10 to be the last windows ever"

Well, without realising it at the time, they could well be right.

POPCORN!

1. Adrian 4

Re: "Microsoft have said they want Windows 10 to be the last windows ever"

Indeed.

But assuming they mean they want it to live on, how do they expect to survive the loss of version control ?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Paris Hilton

>Microsoft have said they want Windows 10 to be the last windows ever, and just constantly update it online.

Microsoft have said lots of $#!&, what's your point?

3. Colin 27

So....

Instead of 'The Ship Of Theseus' are we talking about 'The Ship Of Redmond'?

Will Windows 10 cease to be Windows 10 once all its components have been updated?

Enough of the philosophy, I'm off down the pub.

4. Bob Vistakin
      IT Angle

Serious question

All things considered, is Windows 10 worse than Vista?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

Re: Serious question

"All things considered, is Windows 10 worse than Vista?"

Worse? How would one quantify those disparate worsenesses?

That's rather like asking "Is having razorblades poked up your arse worse than discovering the 'steak' tartar you're eating is actually the former residents of the CJD hospice across the road?" - they're different sorts of bad - but you definitely don't want either.

3. Updraft102

Win 10 is much, much worse than Vista.

Vista had a rough start with DRM and hardware makers (looking at you, Intel) getting the okay to sell PCs as "Vista capable" when they really shouldn't have, but it's evolved into a stable, usable product. The very popular Windows 7 is more or less Vista SE.

Windows 10... it started as crap and it's still crap. There are no signs things are getting any better, or that they ever will with 10, since all of the things that are bad about it are designed-in "features". It still can't decide if it's going to have a phone UI or a desktop UI... the PC user gets a confused, senseless mish-mash that's half TIFKAM (in all of its flat, gray ugliness, with its massive controls and wasted screen space when used on a typical PC display) and half native Win32.

Windows 10 still doesn't allow the user any control over updates installed, and most of the updates are still big monolithic things more akin to service packs than anything else (so you can't skip the bits you don't want; take it all or take none of it). It still refuses to allow the user to remove Cortana, Edge, Xbox, MS store, etc., through normal means, and it's getting worse, as now it won't even let the user switch Cortana to search engines other than the useless abomination known as Bing.

Windows 10 still refuses to stop phoning home with its "telemetry," even if the user wants no part of it (you can't turn it all the way off). It still unceremoniously uninstalls programs it wants to with every update (it has a particular thing for Speccy, which works fine with 10 if you can get 10 to leave it alone), and it restores "apps" the user has removed at each update as well.

Most or all of the things that are wrong with 10 are non-negotiable from Microsoft's perspective. It doesn't matter what the desktop users want, because 10 was not ever meant to serve our needs. It was meant only to use us as building materials to realize their new "Mobile first, cloud first" delusions. It's like we're asking MS to make us a desktop OS worthy to succeed Windows 7 on desktop devices, but MS (if we anthropomorphize it for a moment) is looking quizzically at us while it asks, "But how will THAT sell Windows mobile devices?"

4. 1Rafayal

far from it.

Windows 10 is an astonishingly good OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"far from it.

Windows 10 is an astonishingly good OS."

Very sloppy comment. There are very few improvements compared to Windows 7 and many unfriendly changes. Basically I can only tell its windows 7 with flat look.

For example, Windows 10 and Edge browser can still not do proper color management with the advent of Wide Color Gamut screens available for the past 15 years and popularized with ipad pro 9.7.

Removed Media Center, etc Removed customization options. The only improvement is that it easier to change lock screen background? Its a pretty dear price to pay for all the W10 problems.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

far from it.

Windows 10 is an astonishingly good OS.

My son says as much and he is no slouch when it comes to OSs.

Having said that, there seems an irrational fear of Linux. Because it was "difficult" a decade or more ago, it must still be so.

A year ago when I made the decision to run Mint as much as possible, I didn't expect to be spending more than 95% of my time in Mint. On the few occasions I need to boot into W7, IMO MS's best OS to date, I no longer feel "at home".

Ten years ago, I was spending perhaps 10% of my time running Linux and much of that was problem solving. The few issues I have had with Mint were mostly solved with minimal effort and most without recourse to running a terminal.

On those few occasions that I used a terminal, I merely copied the requisite command line from a helpful web page or forum. No need to understand bash, or remember vi commands. Linux versions of most of my tools such as Beyond Compare and Password Safe exist. Others work well under WINE, or in a VM.

Try it; you might very well like it. Or perhaps liking it is what you are afraid of ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I've actually gone the other way. I started with various flavors of Unix, System III and Ultrix (I said flavors) and then went via BSD and System V (hated it) through SunOs and too many Linux distro's to recall. Fluent with Vi and Bash also awk and sed plus yacc and lex too yet somewhere along the way I started using Windows because the Outlook client was better than raw mail and Word was so much quicker to use than LaTex. Rsh took me to a Unix box when I needed a shell but after a spell Cygwin gave me enough of a scripting environment and then PowerShell gave me something better as the pipes are object orientated so I could forget some of the more arcane awk tricks.

I haven't felt a need to try out a Linux distro for years. Last time I needed one (building some bootable USB image) I had to battle with a very clunky Unity desktop trying to get a test window. No doubt the distros have all come on in leaps and bounds since then and I would be fairly happy with them and I could use Wine or a VM to work around some issues. But why? My Windows box is stable the patching just happens and everything I want to use just runs. I look at which Linux distro would serve me better and just see people arguing about systemd cinamon gnome Kde and it doesn't look better.

2. Patrician

So you're proposing a Linux distro, specifically Mint, as a Windows replacement OS but at the same time stating that you need to run some software in Wine or in a VM?

Doesn't sound much like a viable replacement to me I'm afraid; a "replacement" would be an OS where all software is available, installs as easily as it does in Windows, and command line "voodoo prayers" are not required for day to day operation.

If I carried out a brand new Mint installation on a new PC how long would it be after the OS has finished installing that I would need to be using a command line and using such nice commands as:-

"sudo add-apt-repository xxxx" instead of simply double left clicking on "setup" and clicking "next, next, next" etc?

By the way, I know the answer as I've done just this over the weekend.....

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

So you're proposing a Linux distro, specifically Mint, as a Windows replacement OS but at the same time stating that you need to run some software in Wine or in a VM?

Yes, not much different to W7 Pro which allowed me to run two legacy applications in Windows XP mode. This didn't require me to have a standalone WinXP licence. W10 OTOH requires the installation of a VM and a standalone WinXP.

I didn't get there however due to incompatibility with my video adapter, a fairly recent ATI based card made by ASUS. I attempted to discover if my spare was compatible, but MS appears to no longer make an HCL available. Apparently you are now expected to purchase and install video adapters in order to use a compatibility tool. It occurred to me that this might be a very expensive proposition.

You can add repositories other than the official ones with the Software Sources tool in Accessories. Running "sudo add-apt-repository xxxx" is quicker, but if the command'line upsets you, you generally have alternatives.

It may surprise you to know that Windows also has a very useful set of command-line tools, many of which have been there "for ever" and some more recent. Not "voodoo prayers" and much quicker than endless clicking.

2. Chemist

"I would need to be using a command line and using such nice commands as:-

"sudo add-apt-repository xxxx" instead of simply double left clicking on "setup" and clicking "next, next, next" etc?"

Well I don't use Mint but I installed it to a VM to answer a query recently. It took ~20mins to install and then the GUI Synaptics could be used to install software and add repos. But as P.Git mentions it's not unusual and indeed encouraged to use the command-line in Windows anyway - so what exactly is your issue ?

2. Ben 56

It is if you like candy crush and advertising every time you press the start bar, with a side helping of no update control and targeted telemetry advertising. "Hi I'm Cortana, I can see you're looking for anal fissure cream..."

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Who cares, if you hate 'M$' (dumb arse haters still think that's funny!) just don't use Windows 10 (or Vista) . Buy an Apple Mac and tell everybody how OSx never has any problems (ever, honest!) or install a Linux distro and maintain that the commnd line is where it's at in terms of UX sophistication. Or even better, get a Chromebook and just let Google control your life and slurp your data. So you see there's no need for any existential angst, just don't use Windows, simples ;)

1. Dr Spork
          Megaphone

Believe me AC, nobody thinks M$ is funny.

NOBODY.

(well except maybe 1Rafayal - who seems to have failed to successfully deploy his "joke alert")

2. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

"All things considered, is Windows 10 worse than Vista?"

Actually no. It even runs reasonably well on old hardware which struggled with XP

The spyware settings can be disabled with a bit of work.

That said, Lubuntu runs better.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Pirate

>The spyware settings can be disabled with a bit of work.

So?

Can you provide proof that all the spyware always obeys those spyware settings? Proof that those settings won't be "accidentally" (honest!) re-set (again) when you're not looking? ...and explain why the MSFT exfiltration software is hard coded to ignore any entries for the MSFT exfiltration servers which "customers" might attempt to add to "their" HOSTS file?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Can you provide proof that all the spyware always obeys those spyware settings? Proof that those settings won't be "accidentally" (honest!) re-set (again) when you're not looking? "

I never take anything for granted. There's software around which will automagically check and _ensure_ that the spyware stays disabled.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Facepalm

>>"Can you provide proof that all the spyware always obeys those spyware settings? Proof that those settings won't be "accidentally" (honest!) re-set (again) when you're not looking? "

>I never take anything for granted. There's software around which will automagically check and _ensure_ that the spyware stays disabled.

So you entrust a third party to control a system which you know is designed to operate against your interests? That's an... erm.. interesting(?) approach. A sort of dual tier faith?

How do you _ensure_ that third party never accidentally misses something, quietly keels over and allows your "protection" to lapse, or goes rogue itself? How do you _ensure_ MSFT will never work around that third party's product?

2. Hans 1

> There's software around which will automagically check and _ensure_ that the spyware stays disabled.

So, before, with WIndows 3.0+, I needed Antivirus, since 7, I need Antivirus, AND Anti-MS-Nag/Adware (GWX), and in 10 I need Antivirus AND "Anti-WX-Spyware".

Please note that I must download "Anti-MS-Nag/Adware (GWX)" and "Anti-WX-Spyware" from dodgy websites and pray there is no AskJeeves or other "friendly" toolbar injected into the installer.

As for GWX disappearing in July, it will be replaced by BWX, as in "Buy Windows 10, now!"

2. energystar
            Devil

"Can you provide proof that all the spyware always obeys those spyware settings? Proof that those settings won't be "accidentally" (honest!) re-set (again) when you're not looking? ..."

Well you're downloading BINARIES from Ubuntu Servers [Isle of Man?]

3. Patrician

Can you provide "proof" that all spyware is stopped in any OS?

7. Barry Rueger

All things considered, is Windows 10 worse than Vista?

I'll bite. I still use Vista in a VM to run bookkeeping software, and my partner just upgraded from an ancient XP box to a shiny convertable HP laptop.

Windows 10 seems positively Apple-esque in its determination to make you do things in the way that it wants.

In particular the assumption that touchscreen is everything. Problem one is that UI design that works great for a phone or tablet is nearly useless for a laptop.

Don't get me wrong, love the touchscreen, but hate the UI.

Problem two is that it's damnably hard to disable the tablety default. Finding the setting to change took ages.

Our second big issue is with hardware support. Win 10 couldn't even find the networked HP printer, and didn't support it until a driver/software/crap ware pack was downloaded from HP.

A USB connected Samsung laser also was not detected or configured - something that earlier Windows, and lately even Linux, does with great ease.

Finally, the OS seems to crash about once a day. Googling the error messages suggests there are some widespread issues.

Still, once you beat it into submission, and kill the "improvements" to make it like "classic" Windows, it's really about the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Still, once you beat it into submission, and kill the "improvements" to make it like "classic" Windows, it's really about the same.

Except for the espionage...

8. Uffish

Serious answer - it doesn't matter, the problem is that Microsoft has consistently used Windows as a revenue generator, putting out new versions whenever they needed a fresh dollop of unimaginable wealth, not when they thought they needed to upgrade the platform for technical reasons.

Their intentions for Win 10 are still purely financial, the technical aspects are, for them, irrelevant. For a user, on the other hand, it is only the technical (functional) characteristics of an OS that matter leading to a very uneasy relationship with the Vendor, which has now snapped in my (insignificantly small) case.

9. Keith Glass

Well. . . when I had a Vista laptop, it had no problem connecting to several-year-old printers, right out of the box.

Win10. . . .didn't recognize a year-old video card or a 2-year-old printer. . .

5. Sebastian A

Nah, after July it'll be replaced with nagware that tells you your PC is at risk and tries to get you to *buy* windows 10.

6. Keith Glass

. . .makes me glad I run Win7 Enterprise. No nags. (I bought my laptop when I left a company last year, as it was shutting down).

2. King Jack
    Big Brother

Telemetry Stays

They will still leave this shit stain behind. I don't believe it as M$ cannot be trusted.

1. Sebastian A

Re: Telemetry Stays

Did they ever state it was temporary? I doubt they'd ever imply they'd give up the juicy marketing DB that it provides.

3. hellwig

Timing?

" it will take time to ramp it down."

So, will people be nagged to install a free upgrade to Windows 10 that doesn't exist anymore?

And NO ONE asked you to ramp it up in the first place, so no one wants to hear your excuses about taking time to ramp down.

All I know is that I'm still dismissing "Upgrade" pop-ups after numerous failed attempts to actually install Windows 10 on a tablet, so I really have no faith in anything Microsoft does anymore.

1. redpawn

Re: Timing?

The ramp down time will nag you to purchase an upgrade for your own computing good before earlier versions of Windows are crippled.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      WTF?

" it will take time to ramp it down."

It's like "ethnic cleansing" in that respect.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I really have no faith in anything Microsoft does anymore.

Some of us got there about a decade nor so earlier. On the plus side, imagine just how much money that has generated: those deficiencies have been feeding a whole ecosystem from anti-virus to clueless consulting. Especially the consulting one is fun: what do you think they will recommend for deployment: something that is capital efficient and safe, or something that needs constant help and tuning from, say, consultants?

Yup - got it in one. Personally, I think that's the real reason Windows survived in industry - too many people depending on it for their income to recommend anything else.

1. David Pollard

needs constant help and tuning

Windows was boosted not only from small hordes of people who earned a generally rich living from mending it but also by the hordes of teenage Mr Fixits who knew enough to help out users when they were baffled, thus boosting their egos and social status. Both groups had vested interests and neither would have much to say against it; and many users would accept what they said. Microsoft would have benefitted by maximising their gains as well as its own.

Compare this with the situation where the software is truly first-class. Users don't need much assistance and don't replace their software as frequently. It looks as though Microsoft and its acolytes would, in fact, have been making more money by putting out optimally bug-ridden software.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like