Site layout changes

This topic was created by Vimes .

1. Vimes

Site layout changes

I've just noticed that the news bytes section has changed.

It certainly looks less out of place than it did before, but IMO - for what little that may be worth - the two grey lines don't do enough to denote the fact that this represents a section rather than yet another headline. Anybody scanning the page may well not even notice them. A grey background would be better, and possibly vary the font colour too.

I'd also wonder why you're putting the entry for the news bytes on the second row as opposed to the first if it's supposed to be one of the first things the user sees and uses?

You seem to still be stuck on following the colour idea that Microsoft started a few years ago. The problem with that is that even they recognise it was a mistake and have been moving away from it. And the less said about uppercase-only menu text the better.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Site layout changes

Yep. Not a change for the better.

If they really have to have this, why not put it in a separate box on the top right of the page, above the "Top Stories" * space.

* At least they didn't call it "Trending" or something like that.

2. DaLo

I completely missed them. I came on here to see if there was any comment on why News Bytes had been removed and it was only after your comment that I realised they hadn't.

IMHO I would put News Bytes top right where "Top Stories" is. I don't like that layout and I am never sure whether the Top Stories are shown below in the normal stories or not. Top Stories just looks out of place and awkward up there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon