back to article White House to bring us up to speed on artificial intelligence hype latest

The Obama administration says it wants everyone to take a closer look at artificial intelligence with a series of public discussions. The workshops will examine if AI will suck jobs out of the economy or add to it, how such systems can be controlled legally and technically, and whether or not such smarter computers can be used …

1. Mark 85

AI in Government?

That won't work as artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Virtualised Government .... via SMARTR AI Systemsware ...

...for Better Beta Remote Anonymous Command and Global Operating Device Cyber Control of Universal Assets

Hi, Mark 85,

AI as Government works, and easily ignores and dispenses with the uses of natural stupidity in the workings of government, and with that and/or those contracted or elected or self employed to provide all such established default services.

Something SMARTR, fundamentally radical and more revolutionary than evolutionary, is inevitable in any SMART SCADA System because of the following observation .... "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." .. Albert Einstein

And as current Government models do not, and cannot function without the ready supply of fiat currency, it is surely the case that ultimately the masters of money are responsible for all worldly woes for not ensuring their product is used for better great and good services, rather than being secreted away and/or squandered on the spread of madness and mayhem ...... which you can be sure will soon enough seek out and destroy that base primary subprime. The dumb stupid system will catastrophically collapse itself with multiple responsible head decapitations as it and IT and AI transition and reform and are reborn with AI in SMARTR SCADA Systems forms.

2. hplasm
      Facepalm

Re: AI in Government?

Coming soon...The Trumpinator.

He just won't stop. Ever.

eek.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop talking about stuff that doesn't exist yet, as if doing so will will it into existence.

IoT, AI, and DevOps are not real things yet.

Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings ..... sweet nothings and every ingredient for stealth

Stop talking about stuff that doesn't exist yet, as if doing so will will it into existence.

IoT, AI, and DevOps are not real things yet. .... Anonymous Coward

It might not already exist in your world, AC, however it would be false and naive, and a titanic vulnerability to be ruthlessly exploited and expanded upon, to claim that elsewhere IT is not in Almighty Command and Virtual Control of Practically Everything with Global Operating Devices, and easily ready, fit and made able and capable of terrorising natives if such be decided necessary, for that is but one choice in an infinite palate of colours available for painting Bigger Pictures with Greater Intelligent Games at/for Work, Rest and Play.

And corrupt and inequitable systems are terrified speechless of the development, for they know for whom the bell tolls.

Not all phish swim in the dead sees that mainstream media and the politically inept present as the future you are captured for.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Well, I don't want to give the impression that I am setting myself up here as some sort of chairperson, but I think we're missing the big picture here. The real question to be answered first of all is: what acronym should the artificial intelligence and machine learning subcomittee at the National Science and Technology Council be using?

Controversial ACTive IT is surely AIs Tour de Force and Raison d'Etre

AIMLESS* would be somewhat APT and point IT in the right direction, allthecoolshortnamesweretaken.

* Advanced Intelligence and Machine Learning Enterprise Steering System

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We can't even secure the very basic networks, computers and devices used in infrastructure.....

Yet here we are pontificating about possible roles of AI... Forgive me for being dumb, but I just don't get it.... Can't wait till hackers get a hold of the AI and turn it back against us Cyberdyne style!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It seems rather pointless given that there is not a single intelligent machine anywhere in our solar system.

6. Fungus Bob
    FAIL

Re: White House to bring us up to speed on artificial intelligence

I am soooo glad the Competent People are working on this.

7. Munzly The Hermit
    Facepalm

What is Intelligence?

Until someone works out exactly how biological intelligence works, how can anyone design an artificial version?

The nearest you could get with the current degree of understanding is a Pseudo-Intelligence Software System, or PISS..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like