back to article Venezuela tops world lightning conductor league

Venezuela's Lake Maracaibo has wrested the world's "maximum lightning activity" crown from Africa's Congo Basin, according to electrifying data from the joint NASA and Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM). Using 16 years of detection data from the now-deceased TRMM satellite's …

1. TRT Silver badge

So...

A castle high in the mountains of the Transvaal is the appropriate location to set up the lab.

Igor! Fetch the waggon.

1. Mpeler
      Paris Hilton

Re: So...

Frau Blücher?

Neighhhhhhhhhhh...

(Closest I could find to "Inge" ------------------------------------------------------------^^)

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Maybe they could sell this as a tourist attraction. They need the foreign currency as apparently they can't pay to have enough of their own printed to keep up with inflation. Where's Tim Worstall when you need him?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old news, surely?

I saw a program on TV at least several months ago which stated that Maracaibo has teh most lightning of any place in the world. Out of curiosity, I then started taking occasional peeks at that area on Blitzortung, and true enough, there generally was lightning in that area , most days. So I'm not sure how ths,s interesting as it is, counts as 'news'.

1. Alistair

Re: Old news, surely?

Esme:

You need more coffee. Although I did manage to decode it, I think,

2. TimR

Re: Old news, surely?

I was thinking along the same lines - interesting but not necessarily news. The Met Office seem to have been aware of this for over a year

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/mar/11/venezuela-lightning-lake-maracaibo

"South America’s largest body of water, Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela, is the site of “the most frequent lightning in the world”, according to Graeme Anderson, an expert on the subject at the Met Office."

4. Mondo the Magnificent
    Mushroom

Zap!

When I worked in South Africa we also had a massive "storm damage" (say lightning) issue

With the Highveld area being 1700M plus above sea level, Zeus often struck hard...

Many a modem was lost to lightning, even with all the surge protection devices we fitted including surge protection plug tops, that had beefy ceramic capacitors within them. (We fitted special plug sockets with protected plugs that had a special "half moon" earth pin to prevent kettles, heaters and the like from being plugged in to them)

Often I still hear of people who's homesteads get zapped by Zeus rendering all their everyday electronic devices (TVs, Digital Receivers, HiFis, desktop systems etc) useless..

Lightning can be a truly amazing spectacle but it sure as hell don't discriminate when it strikes nearby.. watch S.A. comedian Trevor Noah's "Death at a funeral" sketch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXsZ5bydFT0)

5. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Remind me not to live there...

My house is the sort with more antennas than an Air Traffic Control tower.

I don't really like lightning much. Every time it goes FLASH-BANG (about once a decade), it cost me at least $500. Lightning protection systems that actually work cost more. Can't win.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the resource curse.

Quick call up the Venezuela tourism board. They finally lead the world in something other than inflation and oil reserves.

7. Likkie

huh?

"an average rate of about 233 flashes per square kilometer per year"

That doesn't seem like a lot to me. Am I missing something?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: huh?

A square kilometer isn't actually all that big an area. 233 strikes per year per KM2 sounds like a hell of a lot to me.

8. nilfs2
    Devil

Maduro should visit that place

Looks like the odds of him being hit by a lightning are very high

9. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Coat

Shhh . . .

Nobody tell Jim Oase in this thread.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like