back to article Sat TV biz Dish: I'm not an authorized iPhone repairer ... but $20 is $20

Satellite TV service Dish has announced plans to moonlight as an unauthorized iPhone repair service. The US telly provider said it will be dispatching its technicians to offer on-site repairs or replacements for the screens and batteries in certain Apple phones ranging from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. The service …

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Dish

Dish will do the necessary Saucery to fix your IPhone

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Dish

Are you saying they forked Apples iService?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The 5 and newer are simple to repair

It was the 4/4S series where things were a bit painful.

Still, it makes sense for someone to do this, as a lot of people don't know which end of a screwdriver to use and would not feel any more comfortable doing this than opening up their PC to upgrade the RAM. Since Dish, being a satellite TV/internet provider, has a lot of customers in rural areas far away from Apple Stores, and already comes to people's homes, I suppose it makes some sort of sense for them to offer this service. Anyone with enough of a brain that you can train to align a satellite dish can be trained to replace a screen or battery in those models of iPhone.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: The 5 and newer are simple to repair

The 4/4S was a 3 minute battery replacement, but the screen replacement need a bit of practice to get the ribbon cables through the chassis metal without ripping them.

Otherwise the 4/4S was straightforward.

The 5 is a very simple job, screen or battery, 5C a bit more tricky with its booby trap cable.

I did hundreds of iPhone repairs for beer money, it was fun for a while. Fingerprint sensor awkwardness will put a stop to easy screen replacements though.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: The 5 and newer are simple to repair

Was going to question how they'd handle the fingerprint button lockdown, is it as big a deal as it sounds?

3. hellwig

The answer is simple...

If you're phone is broken, you used it wrong. Stop doing that, stupid.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: The answer is simple...

hellwig "If you're phone is broken... ...stupid."

your

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

For an extra

$20 or so they will bring along a deep dish pizza.

5. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

4-inch lag screws

The Dish technicians have been well trained. Don't be surprised to find your new iPhone screen is attached with a 4-inch lag screw in each corner.

The good news is that it'll be aligned to an accuracy of about 10 arc-minutes.

1. 404
      Facepalm

Re: 4-inch lag screws

HA! You got screwed!

Mine used Gorilla Glue from a caulking gun... Gorilla Glue is for Gorilla glass, right?

6. razorfishsl

Using the word "Technician" very loosely & liberally....

1. Thomas Steven 1

I'll raise you 'genius'

Apple, using the word "Genius" very liberally and loosely....

Get yer newspeak ere

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not uncommon

Bin men here are "refuse technicians"

I was a "Pest control Technician" although never once did i need to change a rats battery or rewire a flea.

Call them what they are for fucks sake and stop with all the PC pandering bollocks.

Cleaners are cleaners, not dirt removal technicians.

Mechanics are mechanics, not vehicular transportation device technicians.

1. Mark 78

Re: Not uncommon

I think you are confusing PC with Management Bullshit.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Or union BS to claim higher wages.

2. Colin Tree

mechanics are technicians these days.

When I did a mechanics apprenticeship a computer was bigger than a car.

They run a diagnostic, just like an electronics technician. They replace all the components the diagnostic says to replace, if it still doesn't work, the old school mechanic gets to fix it.

7. Mark 85
    Meh

It's Dish....Meh....

<see title>

8. Barry Rueger

Dish installers and iPhone?

Seriously? I've installed a few dishes, and am generally good with tech fix-it, but would think twice about cracking open an iPhone.

Sounds like Dish may be overestimating their employees.

(1. Screw dish to wall. 2. Adjust axis A according to chart you found on the Internet. 3. Adjust axis B til the TV beeps.)

Oh yeah, drill holes through wall for cable.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Dish installers and iPhone?

May not be the same actual personnel, just a service from the same billing entity

9. Jeffrey Nonken

Not the iPhone SE? I'm disappointed.

10. Pseudonymous Diehard

Oh no

All the popup phone cover / unlock / repair guys making the town centres look like a Bangkok street market will be put out of business.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like