back to article Dyson hair dryer

Vacuum mogul James Dyson has launched a "Supersonic" hair dryer. The £299 creation measures air temperature 20 times a second to stop strands searing, just one of many features said to make locks look lustrous. Dyson trotted out its usual "this product category is broken so we re-invented everything to make air behave usefully …

1. Schultz
    Boffin

I'll assume it is 'supersonic' only,

so the neighbors won't wake up.

2. Bernd Felsche
    FAIL

Measuring isn't controlling

Of course those with £299 to spend on a hair dryer don't understand that measuring the air temperature won't actually STOP the singe.

The control of air temperature will do that; and that doesn't change nearly quick enough NOT to be controllable by a £29 hair dryer.

Dyson mostly invents new stuff to be considered important. Brilliant marketing that lightens the wallets of the shallow thinkers, ready to blow their dough on fashion and folly.

1. raving angry loony

Re: Measuring isn't controlling

I can witness that his "pet hair vacuum" sucks. For about 0.3 seconds, then it fills up with pet hair, clogs up, and stops being effective. I warned the spouse, but no, never trust the techie, always trust the salesperson. Even at home.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Someone got taken in by the marketing at work and had his handdriers installed. The ones where you dip your hands in and some of the water drips onto your shoes and the rest remains on your hands. Their marketing team even came in and did staff presentations.

Thankfully common sense has triumphed and they've been ripped out and replaced with towels.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Thankfully common sense has triumphed and they've been ripped out and replaced with towels."

I saw a report recently how much more effective those high speed driers were at spreading bacteria - several orders of magnitude higher, in fact. Assuming your towels are disposable as opposed to being bits of cloth hung on the wall*, they're the best solution.

*Lab assignment from student days ($HOW_LONG??-ago). Take towel hanging above lab WHB. Press onto surface of nutrient agar. Close Petri dish lid. Incubate. Observe technicolour growth a few days later.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I bought one of those cordless jobs for my holiday apartment. I can manage the whole apartment on charge, it hangs neatly on the wall, and with its active head, it is awesomely effective.

Expensive? Yes.

Effective? Yes.

I am a satisfied customer so far - I don't have pets :D

Also, I rather like the blade hand dryers and find them more effective than the older less directed types of dryer. I prefer paper towels though (a bit old school there).

3. MotionCompensation

Hot air

Looks like lots of hot air to me.

4. Tommy Pock

"Fights the seven signs of wet hair"

5. Ketlan
    Happy

Obligatory HHGTTG gag

I think I'll just carry on doing what Ford Prefect did - make sure I always have a towel close to hand.

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Happy

This is perfect for Iceland (the country)

Where visitors are 'educated' not to use hair dryers for their 'nether regions'.

Perhaps Dyson will make the device available with different size holes?

7. BurnT'offering

This is the Register

It's not needed here for head hair. Does it have a beard comb?

1. Mark 85

Re: This is the Register

I'm really old school... longish hair but no beard.. there is a moustache though... Hmm... moustache trimmer?

8. Mutton Jeff

So,

Just a load of hot air?

Is Dyson the Apple of the appliance market?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bagless hair dryer is just what I need.

<sigh>If only I had any hair</>

1. BurnT'offering

Re: A bagless hair dryer is just what I need.

In that case, you might be in the market for a hairless bag dryer

10. Jan 0 Silver badge

Why only 20 times a second?

My "analogue" old school hairdryer does it continuously and probably cost less than a fiver. (Too long ago to be precise). The only hairs it has ever singed have been free floating ones that found their way to the intake.

11. Lunar123

DON'T TAKE SUPERSONIC OUT OF THE COUNTRY

I bought my wife the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer for Christmas and she loves it. We went to the USA for our annual holiday and the hair dryer wouldn't work. So I wrote to Dyson customer services explaining the problem - and this is the reply which came in very quickly:

Thank you for contacting Dyson!

Great question! The Dyson Supersonic we recommend only using in the country where purchased, because warranty coverage may not always be available where you visit or travel, also converter use is not recommended. It is our sincere pleasure to assist you and support your Dyson! If you require additional assistance please do not hesitate to contact the Dyson Helpline at questions@dyson.com. Thank you very much for your time.

Best wishes,

Jay - Dyson Online Support

600 West Chicago Ave, Ste 275, Chicago IL 60654

For product support, troubleshooting videos and more visit www.dyson.com/support

So we went out to Wall,art and bought a $14 Rimmel hair dryer which does the job thank you very much. SO - IF YOU SPEND £300 ON THE SUPERSONIC HAIRVDRYER - CANCEL THE FOREIGN HOLIDAY 'COS THE HAIRVDRYER WON'T WORK.

And Mr Dyson, c'mon. We put a man on the moon in 1969. Surely your team can produce a product that can operate universally - ESPECIALLY IF IT COSTS £300

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon