back to article Amazon attempts rule fudge to take exclusive control of new dot-words

Amazon is trying to get around rules aimed at preventing it from gaining exclusive control of common words online. If successful, the online retail giant is likely to expand its approach to new dot-words, including ".book," ".song" and ".tunes" – despite the world's governments having explicitly said they are opposed to the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've not seen a single site at these trendy new cash-cow domains.* What was the frigging point?

*except for Walmart.horse but it was nuked before I got to visit :(

1. Donn Bly

I have seen a couple in passing, including one that I procured and set up for a friend's coffee house, but the vast majority of them are just spam sources to the point where I am weighting them as such with spam assassin rules.

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

ICANN has cash for defensive registrations?

"I've not seen a single site at these trendy new cash-cow domains. What was the frigging point?"

The answer is cleverly hidden within your own question.

2. Graham Marsden
    Trollface

I just want to register...

Baise.moi

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: I just want to register...

.arseholes

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

bezos.vatefaire.enculer

1. Mark 85

So far the obvious has not been grabbed: who.moi

1. g e

qui.moi surely? ;)

1. Captain TickTock
              Joke

And what about pretentious.moi ?

2. Spangles

sounds like a no-brainer.

3. Herby

Why don't they...

Just register ".amazon" and be done with it.

Then again, maybe Brazil and other governments in South America might not want it don't that way...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why don't they...

Corps shouldn't be allowed to register TLD. It's too short-sighted. Who's to say Amazon won't be a husk of a company within a decade?

1. Mark 85

Promise? And Flea-Bay needs to precede it.

2. DJSpuddyLizard

Corps shouldn't be allowed to register TLD. It's too short-sighted. Who's to say Amazon won't be a husk of a company within a decade?

That may be so, but if Amazon goes bankrupt or finds other financial incentive (e.g. planet full of megaton gold dubloons), Amazon can sell off the TLDs to another corp (Yahoo, for example).

Nations are not immune either - the .USSR or .sikkim domains are not in high demand right now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want pretentious.moi

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

despicable.moi? </minion>

5. VinceH

I'm confuzzled.

Is this article anti-Amazon FUD, or is something simply not being made clear?

Following the link, I don't see anything in the wording that could be described as a "rule fudge" that would allow it to take control of other .words (and one of the example .words near the top of the article is .book, which the article later notes is one of Amazon's anyway).

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Exactly! I thought the whole point of this new TLD .word auction thing was to gouge Corps raise money for ICANN and give exclusive use of said TLDs to the successful applicants.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The point you're missing is that ICANN has (sensibly) decreed that generic TLDs can't be reserved for the exclusive use of the owner. So for example, you can do what you like with .walmart if you own that, but you're meant to allow essentially anyone to register a domain under .shop. Amazon's cunning plan would allow them to approve or deny any registrations under .moi, which would effectively give them the ability to reserve that generic TLD for their own use if they so chose.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The point you're missing is that ICANN has (sensibly) decreed that generic TLDs can't be reserved for the exclusive use of the owner."

You're right, I did miss that vital point.

It should be interesting see which words are classed as generic, who decides, and who appeals the decisions though. I might have to buy shares in popcorn makers.

1. Boothy

Quote: It should be interesting see which words are classed as generic, who decides, and who appeals the decisions though.

I would hope for a starter than anything in the dictionary, or other standard reference material, geographical names/locations etc. Would be classed as Generic, and not even open to discussion.

Amazon (the shop) chose to use a generic name years ago, and so must accept the limitations that come with that decision.

If they wanted to do whatever they wanted with their name, they should have created something unique.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

bugger.off

This is the second time I've had to put some text in where a single dot would have sufficed to enhance the quality of the comment stream so far 8)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PSSST! The title is optional and you can bold body text, for much the same effect, but without the compulsory body text

1. ratfox

It looks like this!

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Speak up!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. anniemouse

after greed crosses the boundaries, it gets comically absurd

When the world runs out of things to do that make sense, the market for the kings new clothes becomes fashionable.

9. jake Silver badge

Bass-ackward.

I already own jake.TLD[0] ... As a direct result, I own buy.jake.TLD, joy.jake.TLD, coupon.jake.TLD, got.jake.TLD, room.jake.TLD, talk.jake.TLD, pin.jake.TLD, smile.jake.TLD, read.jake.TLD, like.jake.TLD, call.jake.TLD, book.jake.TLD, author.jake.TLD, and others.jake.TLD ... I don't actually have any of those setup at the moment, but I might do "others" just for my own amusement.

One wonders if the children running Amazon (etc., insert multi-billion dollar internet advertising organization of your choice in place of Amazon here) don't actually understand how TehIntraWebTubes work, and ICANN are suckering them out of their money.

[0] Several.TLDs, in fact ... In the old days, the only one I didn't have was .mil ;-)

1. Velv
      FAIL

Re: Bass-ackward.

But do you own .jake

Didn't think so.

So you don't control *.jake

One wonders if Jake actually understand how TehIntraWebTubes (sic) work

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Bass-ackward.

I don'tneed ".jake". I don't want ."jake". I see no reason for .jake ... but then I'm not exactly narcissistic.

server.domain.TLD makes sense. It's a hierarchy thing. Wanting your own .TLD is a complete waste of money when you already have a domain name.

Think about it.

10. IHateWearingATie

Surely...

'.moi' is French, and being the language of the cheese eating surrender monkeys doesn't matter. Amazon can do what they like with it.

Now, if it was a generic TLD in the Queen's English (gordblesshermajesty) that would be different. We'd be entirely within our rights to aim a Trident Missle or two at any colonials trying to register '.tea' for example.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely...

How about .teaparty ?

I'll get my coat...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely...

How is that discouraging the use of missiles?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like