It's law to have your dog microchipped, but databases run themselves, right?

This topic was created by cycas .

1. cycas
    Facepalm

It's law to have your dog microchipped, but databases run themselves, right?

So, on 6th April it became law that all dogs in the UK must carry a microchip, recording a number that links to a database record that identifies the dog's current keeper.

The idea being that this would help lost dogs get back to their owners faster, thus reducing the cost of kennelling, rehoming, and euthanasing dogs*, and also reduce the number of poor sad weeping people sharing photos of their beloved lost Trixie on facebook. Good idea, right? What could possibly go wrong?

Apparently what could go wrong is Petlog, the UK's biggest microchip database service, run by the Kennel Club. They weren't ready for all the people who, spurred by the legislation, decided they wanted to check what was on the chip record and amend it. So now if you, like me, have a dog whose chip is registered with Petlog, not only is it very difficult to find out what's on the record or change it - but if the dog does go missing, chances are the poor busy council dogwarden who finds your dog won't be able to check it either.

More info here : http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/156736/

To be fair, a lot of dog rescues have created problems for themselves by insisting that all the dogs they microchipped should be recorded with their own contact details, and then not checking the record afterwards. But you would really think that Petlot would have expected this, given that they had years to prepare for it.

* Sorry kids. Rex didn't run away to a farm. Nobody wanted him and he got the needle. :-(

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Might be the "databases run themselves" thing. I have seen that one a couple of times. Some people* have absolutely no idea what it means to have a large database. They really seem to think that you just buy some software, install it - and all the data you want to work with magically enters the system entirely by itself. And keeps itself automatically up to date. Because it's on a computer, isn't it? And computers do all the work for you.

*Like one of my former bosses. Bought a Facility Management software. I still don't want to talk about it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon