back to article Game over for Xbox 360

Microsoft has halted production of its Xbox 360 games console just over 10 years after it launched in November 2005. "Xbox 360 means a lot to everyone in Microsoft. And while we’ve had an amazing run, the realities of manufacturing a product over a decade old are starting to creep up on us," said Xbox boss Phil Spencer on …

1. sjsmoto

I have a 360. I don't use it much anymore, so it's probably my last game console. If I may rant: I enjoy video games but I want them to have a "stupid easy" mode. Sometimes I'm just not into mashing buttons until my thumbs fall off. I also want to be able to stop and save the game at any point - not just at preset save points. I understand this is a game issue rather than a console issue, but it should be standard by now. Otherwise it's been fun, and the 360 ran fine.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good day for consumers

Was unreliable shit throughout its life, the pinnacle in Microsofts history of making shit hardware. even it's successor, the Xbox one wasn't quite able to be that shit. 

2. Terry 6 Silver badge
    Windows

Another Microsoft issue?

Yet again it seems as if Microsoft have taken their eye off the ball. Gaming seems to be going strong, yet they are giving up on their share of this market. Apparently because they aren't up to date.

I never was much into gaming myself, I lose interest at the (early) point in most games I've tried where you are stuck in a room and have to randomly dick about trying endless combinations of something or other until you happen to find the right one. But since they are all much the same, and since one consol does much the same as another it's a sad reflection on Microsoft that can't even keep a toehold in this area.

It's a sorry catalogue.

Windows - V8/8.1/10 each pissing loyal users off in their own sweet ways.

Phones - somehow never having the magic, the quality/price point or the attractiveness to take users away from Apple or Google's offerings even though the phones are really good.

Office - with it's unloved Ribbon and attempts to drag us into the software rental model.

And now the Xbox.

It seem like an uncanny ability to spin gold into straw.

1. Scott Pedigo
      Terminator

Re: Another Microsoft issue?

I assume that they'll continue selling the successor, X-Box One, or whatever comes after that. The article didn't say that Microsoft is abandoning the console gaming business.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't put it past them to just throw in the Xbox towel. The Xbox one is doing badly, they tried to sell Xbox division to Amazon and even they didn't want it!!!

Xbox has cost Microsoft billions each gen and never broken even. They are crafty with numbers, hiding massive losses by combining the business sectors with earners (like the now defunct Android patents)

Once shareholders see the losses, Microsoft will be treating Xbox like the shitty stick it is...

2. a_yank_lurker

Slurp has many problems mostly caused by inept responses in the market.

3. TonyJ

Dear Microsoft...

So now you're retiring the 360, how about responding to the thousands of people on your forums that have been asking for the same kind of parental controls for the One since the day it launched!?

I generally trust my kids - and for goid reason - but they're kids. They'll occasionally try it on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dear Microsoft...

Just get a ps4, it's got full parental controls on games, including an option of the browser. It's also not better games better features and better graphics.

Nobody buys xbox one, it's a epic disaster.

1. TonyJ

Re: Dear Microsoft...

Firstly I wouldn't touch Sony gear with a barge pole.

Secondly please...explain how the XB One is a disaster, let alone an "epic" one?

4. a__d

The most surprising thing about this article for me was that they're still making the 360: I'd assumed they'd stopped when the one came out, and any still in the shops were old stock. Who knew...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No reason to upgrade...

* Prefix this by saying I'm mostly the car-racing / shooter type. So coming from that POV, games on the Xbox-180 or PS4 have only marginally better graphics and the gameplay isn't much better. Take Forza-Horizon-2 with its cars falling through the landscape etc. Driver-SF is a better looking open-world driving game (despite being ubisoft-ware)...

* I still play early driving series like PGR3/4 too... It hasn't got the shininess of the latest Forza or all the latest cars, but it drives well and the game is just more fun.

* I still highly rate Far Cry 2 and find it more enjoyable and more cohesive as an interactive experience than FC3 or FC4, and I own them all.

* Same with COD... Sure, there's bots / zombies in later versions, but that's about it. The PC version had bots / zombies since COD2 / COD4, plus loads of free user maps....

* Still prefer Hitman-Blood-Money, its more fun than Absolution... Still play a lot of Skyrim too, because its just so beautiful...

* Have games really gotten any better? Console games anyway... Maybe its me, apologies if so..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon