back to article SpectraLogic debuts big, bad exabyte-tastic temple of tape

SpectraLogic has announced the largest tape library in the world, the TFinity ExaScale Edition, with an exabyte of capacity in a single footprint storage system using current media technology. It is also the industry’s first tri-mode library, with support for LTO, IBM TS1150 and Oracle T10000 A, B, C and D format tape drives …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Exabyte

I remember a company by that name, and thinking how ridiculous the concept of an exabyte of storage was. Back then I sure didn't think I'd ever see a single device for sale that could actually store that much, even a petabyte seemed impossibly far off back when big hard drives barely cracked one gigabyte in size!

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Optional custom skins for personalisation"

Oh, that just has to be the killer USP!

3. springsmarty

Must be a Boulder thing

IBM had its tape operations in/near Boulder. The key engineers left to nearby Louisville to form StorageTek, which made those huge mainframe tape robots. In the meantime, Exabyte was making 8mm helical drives in Boulder. Since then, SpectraLogic has appeared in Boulder with its own robots.

Spectra is in the Gunbarrel area of Boulder, merely a few blocks from IBM's campus that started it all.

This must be a Boulder thing.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Must be a Boulder thing

"This must be a Boulder thing."

Also in Colorado and not far away: MP Tapes - worth noting them and especially what they sell (in particular: Cartridge analysis tools, and media cleaning machines - both rebadged all over the world and sold at insane markups, but absolutely necessary for reliable tape ops)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is also the industry’s first tri-mode library, with support for LTO, IBM TS1150 and Oracle T10000 A, B, C and D format tape drives.

So, anyone willing to bet that either:

a) Oracle buys Spectra from Nathan Thompson

b) Oracle divests the tape division and sells it to Spectra?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon