back to article Google warned by EU

Google abuses its dominant market position, according to EU antitrust folk. In a Statement of Objections addressed to Google and its parent company Alphabet, the European Commission has warned the advertising giant over imposing restrictions on Android device manufactureers and mobile network operators, and is thus in breach …

1. heyrick Silver badge

over imposing restrictions on [...] mobile network operators,

Special "premium" tariffs for iPhones?

Ditto Blackberry?

2. BitDr

Dear EU

Please apply the rules evenly. That is all.

1. Planty Bronze badge
      Stop

Re: Dear EU

Agreed, Microsoft and apple are way worse offenders.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft were driving this, their classic stunt is fork fragment and then destroy. That is what they hopoe is going to happen here, they have a history of that crap.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This could sway my brexit vote.

Quite clearly what Google is doing, is RIGHT for consumers. There is only 1 Android, and it makes manufacturers play by the rules. You want Google Apps, then you follow the rules, you want Android, by all means do with it what you will, but don't expect us to allow Google apps on it.

The fact everything works in the Android world, manufacturers play nicely (because they have to), and users benefit. if they don't like GMail, or feel that bundled Chrome isn't for them, then fine, you can disable the built in apps in ROM, they disappear from the launcher, and you are free to install whateverr email or browser you wish,

If only Windows was like this, Internet Explorer is still being forced upon me in 2016, with Windows 10, it's still welded heavily into the operating system. It's clear to me, this whole anti-trust is being driven by someone on the Microsoft payroll in the EU.

Why isn't Microsoft in the spotlight anymore for IE bundling?

Why does iOS force all browser to use Safari under the covers, and the slow javascript, which ensures real Safari always works best on iOS.

These are way worse than what Google is being accused of. I see their other complaint is Google fix app search results. I disagree, searching Google Play for Office Suite, and it's Microsoft apps at the top of the results, Google Docs is about number 8 in the results.

This whole thing is a massive fail, and demonstrates why the EU is failing...

Why i

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This could sway my brexit vote.

I guess you are one of the few who still believes Google isn't evil.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Google is a relative nice guy compared to apple, Microsoft and oracle.

I know where I am with Google, there privacy policy is crystal clear and consistent, I know what I give up to get what I get from them. No other company offers that level of clarity. Look at the windows 10 "deal" to see the classic example of hidden sting.....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How is Apple's privacy policy not clear? Google's is basically "we can take everything" and I guess you don't mind selling yourself out for free search and maps, but to say Google is a nice guy compared to Apple is to laugh.

Look at the privacy you get for Apple Pay compared to Android Pay. Apple doesn't collect any information and what's more prevents the merchant from even getting your name - some merchants don't like it because they consider it "too private"; they get more information from traditional credit card purchases.

Google wants to know everything you buy, from whom, and for how much to tie back into their vast database they keep about what you've searched, what ads you've seen or clicked on, what web sites you've visited etc. because that whole pile of information from original intent signaled by a search to completion of purchase is extremely valuable on the open market. No one has ever been able to assemble that complete picture before.

Android appears free only to those who place no value on their privacy.

2. heyrick Silver badge

By referring to the referendum as "brexit", you've already nailed your colours to the mast. Nice that you'll be helping to decide the future of the country based upon whether or not the EU is upset over Google's dominance instead of anything that, you know, matters...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quite clearly what Google is doing, is RIGHT for consumers.

I'd fit into the "consumer" category. What Google is doing is absolutely NOT right for me, nor many others. Unfortunately, that doesn't sound like something you want to hear/believe though. :(

4. Mr Flibble

the European Commission has warned the advertising giant over imposing restrictions on Android device manufactureers and mobile network operators, and is thus in breach of EU antitrust rules.

One small problem. That says that the EC, not Google, is in breach of those rules…

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon