back to article Gartner's broken out its crystal ball again. Huawei's object storage bods won't be happy

Gartner's gurus have ranked the top twelve object storage suppliers in a Critical Capabilities report, with Cleversafe at the top and Huawei last. The report states: "Object storage is pervasive as the underlying platform for cloud applications that we consume in our personal lives, such as content streaming, photo sharing and …

1. BoldMan

Does anyone really care?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to Gartner Windows Phone should have about a 30% market share by now.

3. Captain DaFt

That crystal ball of theirs

Judging by their past accuracy, that ball doesn't by any chance have three holes in it and the name "Brunswick" engraved on it by any chance?

4. Mikel

Pay for placement

They can be persuaded to improve your place in their various analyses if you purchase more of their analytical products and services.

Somehow the buyers don't seem to see the irony in this.

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Gartner's broken out its crystal ball again.

There, FTFY!

6. StorageDownunder
    Paris Hilton

Stranger than fiction

Hard to understand some of the metrics they used. Some object storage platforms don't have NFS, etc. Guess what, they don't have Fibre Channel either. Me thinks they missed the point.

I'm also puzzled how they rated Ceph so lowly. What do they think over 60% of all Openstack deployments use for storage?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stranger than fiction

I love Ceph but it has problems scaling. It's the elephant in the room when you talk about Ceph and it's why large, web-scale ops are yanking it out. It also get expensive at scale.

1. Lookcrabs

Re: Stranger than fiction

We have both Cleversafe and community ceph at multiple Petabytes each and I can attest that both have issues scaling. I've used NetApp as well and had performance issues. I'm serious to what scaling issues you have specifically?

I'm a big fan of open source so I should preface that I am biased towards ceph.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like