back to article ExoMars works! 2 Mbit/s link established and camera snapping

The European/Russian ExoMars craft is doing just fine, says the European Space Agency (ESA), with first light reaching its cameras and everything humming along nicely. The camera on the craft's Trace Gas Orbiter has been used in anger to capture the image above (or here for those on our mobile site), which came to us courtesy …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

Astounding !

A 2MBPS connection in space between planets ? While it is hundreds of thousands of kilometres away ?

Great news for Science.

But, pray tell, if the black blotchy bits are stars, then the white blotchy bit is . . . a black hole ?

Nah, just kidding. But it had to be said.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Astounding !

Especially when you consider that in the UK, many people living just a few miles from major towns would kill for that kind of broadband speed.

Although, I concede, the latency on the Mars link is probably a little higher than optimal!

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Especially when you consider that in the UK, many people living just a few miles from major towns would kill for that kind of broadband speed.

Well, this one is obvious - the connection to ExoMars was not supplied by the GPO. Or whatever it is called today.

1. PNGuinn
          Joke

So - who is going to be the first to repurpose this experiment to leach off part of the bandwidth to improve their broadband connection ....

2. Mage Silver badge

Yes, 2Mbps is its UPLOAD speed. I have 8Mbps down, but only 1Mbps up. 8Mbps DSL is usually worse upload, about 0.4Mbps?

1. Bob H

@Mage

There are a variety of different DSL bandwidths/profiles depending on the customer need. There is however a 2Mbps/2Mbps profile which is called SDSL (and there is also SHDSL).

Also ADSL2+ Annex M allows for uplinks up to 3.3Mbit/sec, <sarcasm>but what would someone want with that much bandwidth is beyond me.</sarcasm>

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: @Symon

Thanks for posting that link

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those bits that are following it

Why should those be a problem? They can't catch up, so as long as they aren't alongside of it and get hit during the course correction in July they won't be a problem. If they think they might be alongside, maybe they will need to recalculate a bit to speed up slightly before the course correction. At any rate, once the course correction is complete those pieces won't be an issue any longer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Those bits that are following it

But the craft has to slow down before reaching Mars, at which point those bits may become very important!

1. WonkoTheSane
        Alien

After the planned course correction, the probe will be heading in a different direction, so the debris becomes completely irrelevant.

(until the debris ploughs into an approaching starship, starting an interstellar war for which we are allegedly unprepared)

2. Richard Boyce

As a test of the cameras, could they try to image the accompanying debris? The sooner, the better, as the separation distances will only increase with time and are likely already very large relative to the size of the spacecraft.

3. To Mars in Man Bras!
    Facepalm

Enough Already!

*"...Dust Characterisation, Risk Assessment, and Environment Analyser on the Martian Surface (DREAMS)..."*

Yay! for Mars missions and exciting science. But, fer feck's sake. Why do Europe now have to start aping the annoying American practice of constructing some contrived acronym for every piece of equipment they build.

The Yanks don't have much choice —not having any history or culture. But we have plenty of both to mine for suitable monickers. So let's try a bit harder. OK?

[I mean. What would have been wrong with "Spacey Mc Spaceship"?]

1. <shakes head>

Re: Enough Already!

as that is the bit dropping down to mars can I suggest splatty macsplat

2. kryptonaut

Did the ubiquitous prof. Brian Cox have a hand in naming it, perhaps?

3. PNGuinn
      Coat

And I hereby stake my claim to "Debbie Mc Debris".

OK - I'm going...

4. Geoff May

Some horse has been lumbered with Horsey McHorseface.

We should know fairly soon if Boaty McBoatface is chosen.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of a joke I heard.

News Flash: A truck carrying cheese in France has turned over on the highway.

please be aware, that the road is covered in de brie.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Reminds me of a joke I heard.

A tanker containing hair restorer has overturned on the motorway. Police are combing the area.

A tractor carrying onions has spilled on the M25. Drivers are advised to find a hard shoulder to cry on.

A lorry belonging to a snooker supplies store has tipped over. Motorists are being warned of many queues in the area.

(from long-neglected memory, but probably (C) The Two Ronnies or similar)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like