back to article Europe's new privacy safeguards are finally approved, must invade EU nations by 2018

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) has been ratified by the European Parliament. The final seal of approval follows successful passage through the EU Parliament's Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs. Following four years of discussions and amendments, the GDPR is now officially EU law and will …

1. Stuart Grout
    Thumb Down

EU über alles

So an uncountable multi-national enterprise decides what's best for us in it's battle for supremacy with a bunch of commercial multi-national enterprises. Never bothering to involve our Parliament which we actually elect to take accounts of our view and represent our interests.

One can only hope that if we do escape from the EU we can make a deal with the US and the rest of the world based on our interests and not the idealogical struggle currently taking place between the EU establishment and the 21st Century.

1. LegalAlien

Re: EU über alles

So a more-democratic-than-private-businesses body (including the EU parliament) issues laws that protect individual people and this is somehow a flaw of the EU? Idiot.

Oh, and even if Brexit happens, guess what, just like Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, the UK will have to comply with this Regulation anyway as a condition to any trade agreement. This is a good news day, son.

Edited: I see you have a 30 year career in the MOD, so you probably think that Her Majesty (or rather her government) will look after your personal data... which has been precisely proven... NEVER

2. Colin Millar

Yeah - lets do a deal with the US - where Congress is currently considering rendering all progress in data security in the 21st century illegal. I hear the PRC are lobbying hard for that one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He also seems to wilfully be misunderstanding how the EU works.

Any EU law will have been approved by your directly elected MEPs and by representatives of the UK parliament in the form of the Council of Ministers.

3. SVV

" an uncountable multi-national enterprise"

There's 27 member states. There. I've just counted it for you.

"Never bothering to involve our Parliament which we actually elect to take accounts of our view and represent our interests."

You obviously know nothing of the Council of Ministers then - they're quite an important part of it. Not forgetting the European Parliament which you can actually vote foir.

The headline on this article that seeks to equate privacy rights for EU citizens with the most dreadful crimes of the 20th century is way below the low, low standard of the worst of the UK tabloid press. As is the title you have so wittiliy and originanally chosen for your post.

1. KeithR

Steady, SVV - you sound dangerously like someone who knows what he's talking about, and who isn't an ignorant, swivel-eyed xenophobe.

We need more like you on threads like this.

2. Kurt Meyer

Re: EU über alles @ SVV

"There's 27 member states. There. I've just counted it for you."

Surely there are 28 member states?

4. KeithR

Utterly fecking clueless...

5. Kurt Meyer

@ Stuart Grout

"One can only hope that if we do escape from the EU we can make a deal with the US..."

Often it is said "Be careful what you wish for, it may come true." The UK has had, does have, and will have, far greater influence within the EU than it "might" have in any "deal" with the US.

In the EU, Great Britain punches in the heavyweight division. Economically, culturally, and militarily. Of all of the EU member states, Great Britain has, in my opinion, the most influence in non-EU countries around the world.

Much of that would change, and change considerably, if the UK were to approach the US, or China, or Russia for that matter, seeking a "deal".

The UK would be very much the junior partner in any such arrangement, and if a certain percentage of Britons are unhappy at having to dance with 27 others of varying skills, I believe that number would grow by leaps and bounds once "The big guy", whoever that may be, started to call the tune.

And the big guy will. I don't doubt it for a minute.

1. Brexy Advocate

Kurt, How's your memory?

It wasn't too long ago that Cameron FAILED to get any sort of leverage of consequence in the EU and we have had many reports from the independent and duly elected MEPs, that in sessions, the UK is neither listened to and or included in strategic EU regulations (I would love to know how many were on the committee that put the GDPR together), not the type of response a country that "punches in the heavyweight division" has.

Look back over reports and documentaries. When it comes to punching, we are the punching bag.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will the province of Great Britain

Will the subject province of Great Britain have to make any changes to its networks and data retention to comply with its European government's new statutes and dictates?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Will the province of Great Britain

"Will the subject province of Great Britain have to make any changes to its networks and data retention to comply with its European government's new statutes and dictates?"

Well, I hope so because up until now our elected representatives have been doing a crap job of looking after our interests.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

This answers one question

In another thread someone asked how come Dido Harding is still CEO of TalkTalk. Now we have a good answer: because this legislation wasn't in force.

4. Jungleland

Businesses have two years to comply

So we can expect senior execs getting enhanced salaries and bonuses for all the extra work avoiding this while looking like something is being done over the next 18 months. They will then swap musical chairs and get enhanced salaries and bonuses because the previous exec hadn't done anything.

When they get in trouble over it, they need to stay because they provide "an experienced and steady hand" to repair the damage....another 50% pay rise.

Nice

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You forgot to mention

Not so coincidentally, this has been approved in the same session as the PNR (Passenger Name Record) collection rules.

I have not read the PNR stuff yet so I do not know if it's formalising something that was already being done outside a legal framework (and therefore without due safeguards and protection of the individual) or depriving us of even more rights. The fact that they're using the armed actions in Paris from last year does not inspire a lot of confidence.

There are plenty of good things coming out of the EU and the EC, especially for the increasing number of us who live and do business across borders, but one has to keep a close eye on the bastards because they're not averse to pulling a fast one if you let them.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: You forgot to mention

> session as the PNR (Passenger Name Record) collection rules.

You are aware that the PNR data collection has been going on for at least 30 years aren't you? When I was a mere youth (some time ago) I worked at an airlines reservation system provider. And we had PNR records. Shared (mostly) freely between airlines. And using pretty much the same data as everyone is worried about now..

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Britain V Europe

As a born and bred Brit, and fairly regular visitor to various European countries, I find Europe as a whole getting progressively more attractive, and Britain steadily less alluring.

7. Ray Foulkes

Applies to governments as well?

Yeah, right.. I haven't read it but I bet it excludes governments from any consequences of either stealing or losing our personal data.

1. KeithR

Re: Applies to governments as well?

"Yeah, right.. I haven't read it but I bet it excludes governments from any consequences of either stealing or losing our personal data."

Try reading it then - you might spout less crap if you do.

8. simonorch

Kaaaaching

Forcing companies, especially the mid to smaller sized ones to actually take security seriously can only be a good thing. From a consultants perspective all i can say is...happy days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like