back to article 'Bring back xHamster', North Carolina smut watchers grumble

Famous grumble-flick site xHamster has stiffed stung North Carolina lawmakers over that state's anti-LGBT laws, shutting off their access to its various and extensive smorgasbord of smut. In a wrinkle on what's most usually demanded – age verification – xHamster will ask users with NC-located IP addresses whether or not they …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Detail?

It's an unusual style of journalism I'll give you that. Most don't assume readers already know the news. Care to share details of what you're jibbering about? I get the impression there is some new law we should know about which would normally be explained in the article...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Detail?

It's a law about toilets.

As you know, 'Murican toilets are surrounded by a screen starting no less than 120cm from the ground, making the toilet (which they call a bathroom even though there's no bath) essentially public space.

This is partly modelled after the Roman design of toilet, where everyone sits in a row, making shitting a truly social event. That and they're just too f'ing mean to buy more chipboard, as evidence by their "cubical farm" office design.

Anyway, when you combine this "ethnic" toilet arrangement, with latent religious fuelled LGBT bigotry, simply taking a piss becomes a hot political issue among fat faced 'Murican legislators.

On a separate issue, a bunch of corps like PayPal are jumping on this for PR reasons.

1. Mark 85

simply taking a piss becomes a hot political issue among fat faced 'Murican legislators in certain deep-south States.

FTFY -- it's not all states and all legislators. We still have some who know the universe is lot older than ~6000 years.

1. Keith Glass
          Trollface

. . .but that's only because they've been in politics longer than that. . . .

2. Gnosis_Carmot

No, the LGBTQ community has declared it to be 100% anti-LGBTQ. It's not 100%. Some of it is but definitely not 100%.

The reality is that NC's state constitution gives -the state- ALL rights not delegated to local municipalities. Charlotte NC tried to usurp the state's authority over discrimination ordinances so the state passed a law EXPLICITLY denying local municipalities the right to create any anti-discrimination law, thereby preventing a situation where every city in NC has its own goofiness. BUT that section does NOT prevent any business from putting in a unisex toilet room.

The stupid part of that section is the "must use the bathroom of biological identity" - sorry, but if looks and acts like a woman it belongs in the women's room.

Unfortunately the idiotic goons allowed an anti-employee measure to be slipped in removing state-level court for discrimination suits. That got virtually no opposition from the loonie lefty REgressive crowd.

As for PayPal - they're happy doing business in countries openly hostile to the LGBTQ community. Bryan Adams cancelled a concert in NC over the law but is willing to perform in Saudi Arabia where being LGBTQ is life-threatening. Most of the celebrities/businesses coming out against the law are hypocrites.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"where everyone sits in a row, making shitting a truly social event"

That beats the shit out of the toilet I was forced to use today when I was caught short - squat, no paper, hose didn't work.

At least nobody was around to collect the KHR300 fee for using the khazi.

1. x 7

"That beats the shit out of the toilet I was forced to use today when I was caught short - squat, no paper, hose didn't work"

I understood that was what Cambodians kept dogs for - their tongues make efficient cleaning aids

4. Captain DaFt

"It's a law about toilets."

It's also about wages.

Some municipalities/counties were looking into raising their local minimum wage to raise local standards of living.

This bill blocks them from setting minimum wage above what the state dictates.

What making a livable wage has to do with LGBT rights is anybody's guess.

5. illiad

Re: Detail? your measurements are wrong.. :)

On most 6 foot people, 120cm is above waist height!!

this article show its is more like 6 inches (around 12 CM )

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/i-can-see-you

and if you are spooked about seeing someone peeing, you have not seen a lot of urinals!! :O

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Stainless_steel_urinal.jpg

2. Da Weezil

Ever read news sites? I have read about the issue on several sites including some music news outlets where they carried the Springsteen story - along with "I.T." sites regarding the Paypal "hold" and other companies saying they are reviewing their position, and mainstream news sites that carried the story about a film shoot being moved to Canada over this issue.

Its hardly been a secret, I'm pretty sure news 24 carried a few segments about this over the last couple of weeks.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This is a news site. The problem is that the news doesn't contain details of the news it's talking about. I shouldn't need to do research to find out what the journo is talking about - their job is literally to tell me what they are talking about!

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

This is NOT a news site in the general BBC/SKY/Daily Fail etc. sense.

It's an information site, yes. And that includes IT and Tech news. But that's the limit we can expect. It therefore assumes that readers have a decent understanding of what's going on in the world and an even better understanding of Tech.

1. The Nazz

Fear not, the BBC news website is not much of a news site these days.

Rather more of a propaganda opinion site in which the LBGTQ's are more than well represented.

2. Triggerfish

The article actually states it's in response to anti LGBT laws brought in, it even give you the date it was enacted, and links to further articles.

2. m0rt

"This is a news site. The problem is that the news doesn't contain details of the news it's talking about. I shouldn't need to do research to find out what the journo is talking about - their job is literally to tell me what they are talking about!"

No, please NO! If they started doing this it would be the news.bbc.co.uk site. Have you seen it recently? If you mentioned the 'web' you would get a link to an article stating "What is the 'web'?" with some drivel about "The 'web', or 'World Wide Web' to give the full name, was originally invented by T....." and so on.

Can you imagine the horrendous fallout of this policy? I mean at the moment, I tend to shy away from storage articles because It reads like Cydonian heiroglyphs to me. But that is ok, because I don't work in storage. I just use it. if they explained every single concept all the time I would turn to the Inq for my IT news habit.

3. BurnT'offering

OK, well, to give some background into the story for those who lazy sods who expect every news item to be a completely self-contained entity or who can't be assed to Bingle it:

Once upon a time, the universe was filled homogeneously and isotropically with a very high energy density and huge temperatures and pressures and was very rapidly expanding and cooling. Approximately 10−37 seconds into the expansion, a phase transition caused a cosmic inflation, during which the universe grew exponentially...

Stop me if I'm going a bit too far back

1. frank ly

Can you dumb it down a bit? Just a little.

1. seanj

'Can you dumb it down a bit? Just a little.'

Now I've got the theme tune to The Big Bang Theory in my head. That'll be there all day now. Thanks for that.

2. Andy 73 Silver badge

> Can you dumb it down a bit? Just a little.

I think the 'Mericans had done that for us already?

3. John Bailey

"Can you dumb it down a bit? Just a little."

God did it.

4. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@ frank ly

I think North Carolina already has.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
            Coffee/keyboard

Stop me if I'm going a bit too far back

Hahahaha. Brutal :).

3. Elmer Phud
            Coat

"Once upon a time"

Was there 'time'?

I think we need to clear this up before moving on.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Time

Time? Sure, time.

(IIRC there was time, but due to a scheduling error our universe was about 15 minutes late.)

2. BurnT'offering

Re: Was there 'time'?

Well, strictly speaking, no time became a time for a time, and then, after a time, it became time and will continue so until it unbecomes. I hope that's cleared that up for you

3. earl grey
              Thumb Up

"Once upon a time"

GAAAAH... now i have "Once upon a time in the West" running through my head.

1. beep54
                Happy

@ earl grey: For me it's "Once Upon a Time in America" (actually a companion to 'West'), but that's ok since they're both excellent films.

4. lleres
            Joke

You haven't gone far enough Sir - can you please explain what happened in those long seconds immediately _prior_ to 10-37 seconds into the expansion? In as much detail as possible please, leave nothing out.

1. BurnT'offering

Re: can you please explain what happened in those long seconds...

Tea break

1. Triggerfish

Long in drawn whistle, and someone muttering, this is going to be a bit expensive mate.

1. James Hughes 1

Crikey, this AC complaining is a bit of a twat. An uninformed twat as well. This was a big news story recently, but here's what you do if you haven't heard of it. There's this cool tool called a search engine, and with it you can find out background information on any story you want. That's what I do. Works really well. One example of a search engine is called Google. You may have heard of it, but if you haven't you could Google for it...oh...hold on.

Are you also the sort of person who writes on forums asking for help about something simple, instead of spending less time googling for the answer first?

2. swarfega

That was when the Fluffer event occurred.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This is a news site. The problem is that the news doesn't contain details of the news it's talking about. I shouldn't need to do research to find out what the journo is talking about - their job is literally to tell me what they are talking about!

Ah, so you're one of these people who occasionally crawls out of their cave and then needs everything explained what happened when they were hibernating. The problem with what you're proposing is that you would then also have to repeat all the arguments surrounding Assange and the FBI vs Apple case etc etc ad infinitum, and I don't think that is fair on the people who DO tend to pay attention.

So no, it doesn't need repeating. Use Google, Bing or DuckDuckGo if you don't want any embarrassment in your Google surveillance log (aka your FBI dossier).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Ah, so you're one of these people who occasionally crawls out of their cave and then needs everything explained what happened when they were hibernating"

No, I'm one of those people that like to have the context included in an article.

1. x 7

"No, I'm one of those people that like to have the context included in an article."

@anonymous coward

If you actually spent more time reading the website and less time complaining you would know that this story is simply a follow-on from

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/05/paypal_stops_job_expansion_over_religious_freedom_law/

read that, read the comments, then if you have anything else to say come back. But read first before posting again

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"If you actually spent more time reading the website and less time complaining you would know that this story is simply a follow-on from"

So you're saying that in order to understand the news we are now required to read every single story just so the journo doesn't have to type one more sentence and complete the article properly? Moron. One sentence would have given sufficient context for this to stand on its own, that's not hard and for any professional journalist that's second nature.

1. x 7

"So you're saying that in order to understand the news we are now required to read every single story just so the journo doesn't have to type one more sentence and complete the article properly? Moron"

No. But I would expect any human with half a brain cell to be able to search for previous references and reports. That's the problem with modern upbringing: too many self-obsessed lazy twats who shout about everything, but read about nothing. Its the modern equivalent of trying to listen through your mouth.

This particular anonymous coward is obviously used to having his slave (presumably his wife) do his reading for him.

And FWIW I really don't appreciate being called Moron. If you really want we can get into a cursing match, but believe me you'll lose. Just remember, such insults as yours are usually simply outward reflections of the swearer's own view on his own self-worth. So stuff that up your fundament and smoke it.

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>their job is literally to tell me what they are talking about!

How far back do you want them to start? Define LGBT? Then each individual word? What's geolocation? Who the hell is Bruce Springsteen? You're right, they've failed, I didn't understand a damned thing.

Also reminds of Bill Bryson writing about how Americans need jokes explaining. Such as a sign outside an opticians which read "Eyes tested while you wait".

1. swarfega

Who the hell is Bruce Springsteen?

An Australian-Swedish clockmaker who invented the imbruglia, the more rigid predecessor to the tourbillon, now widely used in the Vatican's ICBMs.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

North Carolina has passed a law that says you must be prepared to show your birth certificate to gain access to a community toilet facility. In the case of schools - teachers will be allowed to ask children to strip naked for verification of their dangly bits.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"North Carolina has passed a law that says you must be prepared to show your birth certificate to gain access to a community toilet facility. In the case of schools - teachers will be allowed to ask children to strip naked for verification of their dangly bits."

Blimey, I can see why that great tome of information wasn't included now. It is clearly too much information and background to put in the article, and has taken so much space here I can't find the other comments...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Part of a wider law that says you can refuse to provide any service to someone whose fashion sense has been criticised by a cleric wearing a dressvestment. However - mixed fibres in your clothes are now ok.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It'th not a dreth, it's a tunic!

Now are there any other questions. not about the dreth. . .tunic.

2. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
          IT Angle

But you still cant eat shellfish

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Almost right.

What NC want to ban is anyone going into the bathroom/toilet/.loo/crapper that is NOT the gender that they were born with.

In many states when you complete sexual reassignment you can legally change your birth certificate.

So you could be legally a woman but were born a man and would get sent to a male jail for simply going into a femal convenience.

As thay say, the law is an Ass and the law in NC is a bigger ASS than most.

As for the IT/Tech angle, a number of tech companies are considering their investments in that state (and some others in the south). Paypal has already decided to defer some investment.

By contrast, Pensylvania has passed a law allowing M-to-F transexuals to legally go into female restrooms.(F-tt-M can go the other way naturally).

1. Elmer Phud

"that is NOT the gender that they were born with."

Yup, that's just the outward/inward bits -- they are merely attached to the person, who may or may not feel as if the bits are where they should be.

1. Michael Habel

A few visits to Dr. Snipps should work that out, and hay surly that really progressively piece of legislation a.k.a. Obamacare, should surly help cover those such affected.

2. Florida1920

What NC want to ban is anyone going into the bathroom/toilet/.loo/crapper that is NOT the gender that they were born with.
          There's more to it than that. The law also removes civil rights protection from LGBT persons. Employers, landlords and service providers may knowingly discriminate against them without risk of penalty. BTW, Ringo Starr has also cancelled a concert in North Carolina in protest against the law.

1. x 7

" Ringo Starr has also cancelled a concert in North Carolina in protest against the law"

well....thats hardly something negative from the point of view of a Carolina Redneck.

Their view is if it ain't cuntry & westurn, its shit

1. Florida1920

" Ringo Starr has also cancelled a concert in North Carolina in protest against the law"

well....thats hardly something negative from the point of view of a Carolina Redneck.

The venue has a seating capacity of 7000, but Ringo's not a big name with Millenials. Still, it's a loss to the county and state, and it's a start.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon