back to article iPhone SE already on back-order

Apple's iPhone SE doesn't have much in the way of new or exciting hardware, but that's not dissuading customers. The Cupertino slinger of iStuffs says that orders of new handsets will go unfulfilled for as long as three weeks. The Apple Store page for the SE says that while orders for some 16GB handsets will arrive by next week …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Devil

Shortage of new product

Never heard of them running out of stuff after release. No wait... They do that all the time, don't they?

It's either a deliberate marketing ploy (which is probable) keeping product out of the hands of their customers to make the demand look much higher than it really is...

Or it's inept management. And honestly, if they can't get it right by this time, people need to be fired.

1. ThomH

Re: Shortage of new product

Or it's because the cost of matching the production curve to the demand curve would be greater than the cost of a shortage. Even more so if you think that a shortage generates sales rather than restricting them, but possible regardless.

Ramping production up and down is expensive. Apple products tend to launch big but then remain available for at least a year as the only thing in that market segment. Both of which are atypical.

Other devices don't tend to do the same blockbuster opening weeks because they have more similar competition and, usually, get supplanted more quickly — other companies, including those that sell many more devices overall, offer more choice and launch products more frequently.

2. x 7

so....they've run out of all the existing spare components from the old models that were being reused for the SE?

Does that mean they'll be upgraded to new parts?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Citation please

I'm sure we'd all love to see proof that Apple are indeed using spare/secondhand components in a new phone.

It is about time that their stock took another $10 dive.

1. x 7

Re: Citation please

read the recent el reg review

3. David Lawton

Having just swapped my iPhone 6 for this new SE i love it. Always preferred the smaller phone so could not wait to get it, and this phone is seriously fast. I don't care if its the same design as the 5S , although i did really like that design. What mattered to me more was it fitting in my pocket easy and being able to use it 1 handed without feeling it was going to fall out of my hand because it is too big (and i have big hands!) With the same processor as the 6s but with less pixels to drive its extremely responsive.

So nice to hold, compact, great battery life, extremely quick and the most affordable iPhone yet. Whats not to like?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

End-user iStore

Huge demand by iphone 5s users no doubt, upgrade to iphone SE and keep old 5s for spares.

Phlabs are now so yesterday..what did Cupertino expect?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon