back to article Congressman called out for $1,300 video game binge

A member of US Congress is facing scrutiny after he logged more than $1,300 worth of video game purchases as campaign expenses. The Federal Election Commission (FEC) has sent a letter [PDF] to House Representative Duncan Hunter (R-CA) asking the lawmaker and vaping enthusiast to explain why more than four dozen charges from …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

What a tool

I can understand that an uneducated individual cannot keep track of a few credit cards. Some people's intelligence is more limited than others, and you can't blame them for it.

A Congressman, however, is supposed to be able to decide the laws of the Nation. If he can't keep track of what credit card he is using for what purchase, or if he can't ensure that his payment methods are secure, he's got no business being in Congress.

Time to start raising pigs, Hunter. At least that way, you'll know why you're wading in shit.

1. Mark 85

Re: What a tool

You make assumptions that the people who elect these people do so wisely and that only the intelligent, unbiased, and unblemished run for office.

Every person in Congress lately seems to be involved in a scandal waiting to hit the front pages.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The difference is in the size of the scandals. Usually Republicans have Nothingburger scandals such as this one. They can only dream of scandals like those of the Democrats.

And their 'frontrunner' Mrs. Clinton can only dream of a scandal worth less than seven digits.

1. kain preacher

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dennis-hastert-sentencing_us_570578f5e4b0a506064e152c?section=politics

Hmm when is the last time you her of a Democrat sexually abusing minors ?

1. Kurt Meyer

@ kain preacher

"Hmm when is the last time you her of a Democrat sexually abusing minors ?"

It is always a good idea to look before you leap.

Fire up your Google, and have a look at Gerry Studds, and Mel Reynolds.

One hetero, one homo, both sexual. To pay further homage to the spirit of diversity, one did it with boys, one did it with girls.

Kiddy fiddling doesn't follow political lines, There is no high ground here, not for Democrat or Republican, Labor or Conservative.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> "Kiddy fiddling doesn't follow political lines, There is no high ground here, not for Democrat or Republican, Labor or Conservative."

Exactly. Any person, politico or not, can fall into sexual vice, and many do. But money is different, and whatever alleged Republican money scandals may or may not have happened in the past were pathetically small by the standards of your modern Democrat, oy...

2. Mark 85

Once upon a time, I remember when Republican scandals were about money, Democratic scandals were about sex. My how times have changed.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Nothing scandals?

You mean like Watergate, Iran Contra, starting the illegal spying on American citizens that Snowden later revealed, invading Iraq on a lie, those sort of "nothing scandals"?

2. regadpellagru

Yes, indeed.

Meantime, his son doesn't seem any better:

"Staffers told the home-town San Diego Union Tribune that Hunter's son had mistakenly borrowed the credit card to make a charge on the Steam service, and that subsequent payments were the result of "unauthorized" charges that Hunter has challenged in hopes of having reversed."

As a Steam user, I cannot even imagine spending 1.3 kUSD in Steam, in a 5 years period. AAA games are 50 $ at launch and so many promotion can you good games under 20 $ !

2. spudmasterflex
    Coat

I be they are in Crysis talks right now about this.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Coat

"I bet they are in Crysis talks right now about this."

Deciding whether or not he will run?

3. Bob Dole (tm)

Maybe he should see if Steam will just erase the charges for the publicity this will give them?

4. The Nazz

Wanker.

Oops sorry. That was the UK's own ex Home Secretary's husband. For which SHE claimed reimbursement.

Whack off to wacky Jacqui.

Oops, sorry again, forgot it is mealtime on the left side of the pond.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Alistair
    Windows

well at least

He didn't claim he was investigating Steam content for terrorist indoctrination material, or amoral anti-christian pro-abortion games......

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Childcatcher

A new low for a politician?

Blame your own kid?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A new low for a politician?

> Blame your own kid?

Cruz has already used his children to stump for him. (http://thedailybanter.com/2015/12/ted-cruz-exploited-his-daughters-for-political-gain-and-its-fair-to-call-him-out-for-it/)

I'm waiting for him to use them as a shield when there's a gun(man) in the room.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's a lot of DLC

... he probably wanted to see how much it really cost if you bought all the DLC for the latest call of duty....

8. GX5000

They spend more on lunch

$1,300 is a drop in the bucket, but I guess this will distract a few from the real goings on...

9. Emmeran

Completely eventual

Politicians love their addictions and video games are one of the absolute worst addictions out there.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blame game

So he's playing the blame game - can you download that from Steam?

More seriously: the kid may genuinely have misused the credit card thinking it was his dad's personal card. However, I don't think the kid submitted the expense report and ticked the box at the bottom saying "I certify that these are genuine expenses incurred carrying out the duties of my elected role blah blah etc".

1. Kurt Meyer

Re: Blame game

@2+2=5

"However, I don't think the kid submitted the expense report and ticked the box at the bottom saying "I certify that these are genuine expenses incurred carrying out the duties of my elected role blah blah etc"."

You cynic, you. ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like