back to article AI, VR, bots and YOU? A survivor's guide to The Future™

We’re at an inflection point, or – rather – the point before that inflection point. We are in the pre-countdown-phase for virtual reality or augmented reality or perhaps machine learning or bots, say onlookers. But which is it? Or will it be none of these? For Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, the future is definitely virtual …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Wrong kind of photo

Try searching for "weird image" or something, upload some of the results, and see what it says. It's rather poor at identifying photos.

2. Fading
    Mushroom

Am I the only one....

A little concerned if a learning A.I. bot is mixed with various malware payloads?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Am I the only one....

The first rule is don't connect them to the Internet, obviously MS know better.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

AI, VR, chatbots --> dead companies

Me --> full Luddite

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Softly, Softly, Catchee HyperRadioProActive IT Power with AI Command and Control ‽ :-)*

We’re at an inflection point, or – rather – the point before that inflection point. We are in the pre-countdown-phase for virtual reality or augmented reality or perhaps machine learning or bots, say onlookers. But which is it? Or will it be none of these? ….. Gavin Clarke

Hi, Gavin,

Let it be known, and especially so in the fantastically fertile fields of IT and Mass Active Media Manipulation of Human Conditioning and Perception, we are in those absolutely fabulous fabless times of entangled and entangling places and spaces were it is all of those actualities and so much/many more besides.

And who and/or what be chosen, or would themselves choose to be expeditionary vanguard quartermasters to both virtual and real-time future builders, is always answered with a working beta resolution of the Catch 42 Enigma

And one should never rule out the likelihood of AI Proxy leadership from seriously smarter sovereign wealth funds.

* Fact taking over the Sublime InterNetworking of Things with Fiction and/or Vice Versa**

** Please note that is not an ambiguous and discombobulating question.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Softly, Softly, Catchee HyperRadioProActive IT Power with AI Command and Control ‽ :-)*

What's to dislike, down voter[s]? Pray tell, so we all can know of your concerns and the problem.

1. LINCARD1000
        Terminator

Re: Softly, Softly, Catchee HyperRadioProActive IT Power with AI Command and Control ‽ :-)*

I actually upvoted you, because I think you are El Reg's pet AI project based on what you write and when the AI apocalypse comes I want you to remember that I was nice to you and not kill me please, Mr. AIRobotMasterSirYourMajesty.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Apocalypse, LINC? Churn the BGP and have it on a plate. And, don't you sound too damn egoistic... Never mind, Up to ya))

5. bradbox

And Blockchain?

I think you're spot on in this approach...

Blockchain seems to swim upstream though - executives/ whole business/ whole INDUSTRIES want to see Blockchain succeed - technology first, and then work out the business case. What's your opinion on this?

6. packrat

incoherant but rel

copied from iceland protest poster

with the government going rotten on one hand;

corps forcing vac+food garbage;

and 'way too many migrants

a tad on the passionate side;

look to your cells.

dirty, leaky, expensive.

delicate, complicated, walled,

(functional?; aid?, trap? )

1. Tail Up

Re: incoherant but rel

Robotxt?

1. packrat

Re: incoherant but rel

that too.

tho a remberrant as AI creativiety is not reasuring.

robo writers, auto music,

the japan's creatives model, I'm afraid.

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"For Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, the future is definitely virtual reality, which he says is “going to change they way we live and work and communicate”."

Hardly surprising - if I'd spend 2 billion $$$ on a dead horse I'd try to flog it too...

1. Sureo

I can hardly wait for VR to become mainstream so I can watch all the VR version ADs they're going to throw at you.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last week's underwhelming iPhone launch was meaningless

Trying to claim that it means "Apple is done" as the article wants to imply is stupid. It is a 4" phone which is a niche market these days, but one Apple felt was important to serve with some slightly newer technology than the 5S that was currently slotted in that role. Nobody expected to be a big deal, so I don't get why the press wants to call it a failure. Pretty sure Apple wasn't expecting huge lines and 10 million sales in a weekend like they got last fall for the 6S and will get this fall for the 7.

At any rate, that doesn't have anything to do with whether what strategy Apple is working on for VR and AI pans out. That will succeed or fail based on the merits of the product, but knowing Apple they have their own vision for what they're doing and are taking their time. They want to see the early entrants in the market and learn what works and what doesn't, so they can refine their idea and skip the alpha/beta phase that we're in for products like Oculus, HoloLens, Gear VR and Cardboard.

It will be interesting as the first test of a completely Job-less product launch (I don't count the watch because they almost certainly started the design a year or two before his death)

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

I'm rather liking John Lewis IT

No big splashes, just getting on with it.

Intriguing way to run an IT operation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like