1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: Forum post stuffing

Tsk. This is one of those moments when looking the other way is the least harmful option.

2. jake Silver badge

Re: Forum post stuffing

Look within, PFY.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Come on. One should always have a bit of hope. That another day is going to be a better day. That people will eventually come to senses. That somehow it's going to be just alright.

Is that a silly talk? Well, yes and no. Our grandparents have seen some truly wicked times. Had we bothered to listen to them, they'd tell that foolish hope is sometimes the only thing to cling on, the only thing that helps to keep sanity.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

1. ^ This.

2. I enjoy 1980s_coder's posts. (Actually, the posts of both of you. Don't always agree, but that's part of the fun.)

3. Without 1980s_coder's posts, all the jake posts would only be half as much fun.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

Have you tried correlating the server logs with the BoM data yet?

Sorry, couldn't resist. ^_^

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

In IT field, fans are mostly for stirring dust, and for violent redistribution of manure. :-P

Don't count SSD out just yet. They have their share of Heisenbugs. Occasionally goes into error recovery, ignores controller commands, gets kicked out of RAID. After restarting works fine and passes all tests. Dozens of models from several manufacturers. For some models, firmware update came out after a year, some were never fixed.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: SSD

Just one example: Sandisk Optimus TXA2D2 family, mostly found in enterpricey systems, has a firmware bug quite similar to situations we just discussed. Works for a year or two, then goes haywire and causes serious disturbance on the SAS channel. Probably triggered by some extreme condition like a prematurely failed flash cell.

Sometimes it will work again after a power cycle, sometimes it'll need a low-level format.

Fixed firmware versions are now available for most submodels/revisions.

As said, it's just one specific example. Where guys actually managed to isolate the bug. Quite a lot of SSD models (especially cheaper ones) are simply forsaken and will never be fixed.

3. jake Silver badge

@1980s_coder

"Re jake, I don't think we're seeing as much of him here for some reason. Not sure why."

I've been busy. It's Spring. We harvested 412 lambs for the Easter crowd (the Xtian set are quite funny ... they'll spend over double the normal price for lamb around Easter. We time breeding accordingly).

Likewise, I've ploughed, prepped and planted the early spring veggie garden, only around 6 acres, but it takes time.

Have you done anything useful this Spring, 1980s_coder?

"Must be too busy counting his downvotes."

::yawns:: "Votes" here on ElReg are meaningless. Anyone with several working neurons figured that out when litmus tests for human activity became popular ... long before ElReg decided that getting a thumb up might be a good idea.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: @1980s_coder

"Spring only began on the 20th, nine days ago, so there hasn't been much opportunity to do anything at all yet, useful or otherwise."

You didn't do anything useful for nine days? YourOldMum must be awfully proud.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: @1980s_coder

@jake: what breed of sheep?

1. jake Silver badge

@ allthecoolshortnamesweretaken (was: Re: @1980s_coder)

"what breed of sheep?"

Royal White.

Not the best milkers (the cheese is good, though), but pretty good grazers (they clean up between the vines in the vineyards), quite fertile (quads are common), and excellent meat. My work gloves are made from their hide. Easy keepers. Not so good if you want wool.

Why do you ask?

Re: @ allthecoolshortnamesweretaken (was: @1980s_coder)

"Why do you ask?

Got some people in my extended family who keep sheep (Norway) or used to keep sheep. Sometimes the topic comes up.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Oh dear, looks like Andrew O thinks I'm a forum stuffer too... post re the NEST article awaiting moderation since +1 hour now... have I made it on his watchlist?

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Don't worry. AO uses pre-moderation, he likes to approve all comments beforehand. Nothing personal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon