back to article Gnome shrinks the upgrade footprint with version 3.20 release

Gnome has emitted its first major upgrade in six months with the release of Gnome 3.20. The biggest change, the group reckons, is in software upgrade handling: for the first time, Gnome users can run major operating system upgrades from the GUI, without having to drop down to the command line. While that's the sort of thing …

1. Psy-Q

*Wacom tablets

Sorry to be that guy :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: *Wacom tablets

Though, TBH, as computer types, generally, we are all *that* guy!

2. DrXym

That damned Software app

I like GNOME 3 in most respects but that Software app is by far and away the worst piece of trash I've ever dealt with. .

It's so high level that it's impossible to install something *specific* and aside from that it frequently appears to hang or displays meaningless rows of dots while the backend is off doing an update or similar. It's not up to standard of the rest of the desktop.

1. cmannett85

Re: That damned Software app

Agreed, just about all distros have very good package management software already, so this is just pointless. I like Gnome 3, but it has a glut of utterly pointless and poorly made applications bundled into it: Maps, Documents, Videos, Music, Weather, Photos, etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who the hell in their right mind does an OS upgrade ?

Nuke root, keep home - much less hurt.

1. gv

Those of us on a rolling release just do a daily update.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've seen the wheels fly off a rolling release and grind to a juddering halt many a time, I'll stick with point releases and back up my home folder thanks while you nice folks upstream work out the bugs and crashes.

4. Sporkinum

Alt text for the gnome picture

A garden gnome depicted stretched out across picnic table... with a pipe in one hand while the other props him up. Has a confrontational look in his eye...

5. BitDr

Can't say I like Gnome 3.. and it's been how long?

It still gets in my way, prevents me from doing what I want to do, doesn't work the way I want to work, requires more searching than doing, and requires far too many mouse clicks for things that once upon a time needed only a couple. If it was something I liked and wanted to use the show-stopper is that it doesn't work in a VM, and pretty all of my "desktop" machines except one are now virtualized. Cinnamon is more my cup of tea but suffers the same problems in a VM as Gnome 3, i.e. it NEEDS accelerated hardware to work properly, and forget using it over an RDP connection to a VM.

I often thank [insert your deity here] for MATE, and thank the devs with actual money for forking Gnome 2.

Wayland is also one of those things that hurts how I use Linux. Add systemd to the "improvements" and thoughts of migrating to BSD start to become more and more frequent.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Can't say I like Gnome 3.. and it's been how long?

Just about to install it now that 3.20 is out, give it another whirl.

I've done it the last couple of years (2.18,3.16). Just to see how it's coming along.

Gnome 3 is very beautiful, but I just keep finding the imposed workflow annoyingly incompatible with mine. The CSD applications look great in gnome, but are rather unsuited to using in a tiling wm due to CSD, keyboard shortcuts lacking and general application layout just being an anathema to tiling.

The end result of which is I always seem to revert to tilers (i3, herbstluftwm, Xmonad) and the kde applications though.

I have less issues with Unity than Gnome 3, but it's worth a try for a month a year...

6. J 3
    Joke

installed when the system's not running

Wait, what?

1. Chemical Bob

Re: installed when the system's not running

It's like giving a guy a black eye when he's not looking.

7. channel extended
    Unhappy

I don'treally care about GNOME any more...

There is no way I can use a POS like Gnome for daily use. The designers have decided that their way is the ONLY way. And they continue to build complex programs with little testing.(I have found bugs, reported them and nothing happened.) so the new gnome is just more

CREATURE FEEP

8. John Crisp

When they removed split screen from Nautilus I removed Gnome from my machine.

Great decision and never looked back.

9. Kurt Meyer

Mate for me, thanks

It is familar, and easy to use. It gets out of my way, and lets me get on with my work.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Need help

I understand the love/hate sentiment for Gnome3.

But I dont understand how it "gets in the way".

Can someone accurately define this for me without ranting or mentioning MATE/XFCE?

I use Gnome3 (everyday I might add) and I use it specifically because it *doesn't* get in the way as far as I am concerned.

Full disclosure:

I use Antergos. The only thing I ever need to add to Antergos is the infinality font rendering packages. Thats mainly because the default font rendering package for Arch Linux is crap.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon