back to article Streaming now outsells downloads – Recording Industry Ass. of America

Last year, revenues from streaming music topped those of paid downloads for the first time ever. This according to a fresh report [PDF] from the Recording Industry Ass. of America (RIAA), tracking revenues reported by US record labels. The RIAA says that during the year, streaming music revenues accounted for just over one- …

1. Herby

And who gets the $$$ from this??

When you do a nice download of a cutesy song, and pay (for example) $1.00 for it, the majority of it goes to the download service and very little (less than $.10) goes to the producer or the artist, who probably contributed the majority of the effort in making it come to fruition. Admittedly for the artists/songwriters it wasn't much better with physical media, but the ones that flog the content (the producers) did get a bunch of money for all their effort (and it was a bunch!).

I just don't know if this is a sustainable model, but we all try.

Yes, the tunes storehouses should get some $$$ for hosting and delivering the content, but near 90% is a bit much!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And who gets the $$$ from this??

An unsigned artist could keep 60-100% of not a lot.

A signed artist gets a tiny cut of a huge amount, but they get paid from their contract. At this point it's not really relevant talking about a signed artists cut. They are a media entity which the label marketed into existence. The fact that they are also a person is largely irrelevant.

2. Strange Fruit

Actually for downloads it's nowhere near 90%. Most take around 30% (not much different to physical retailers). Returns from streaming services on the other hand are shockingly bad.

3. FuzzyWuzzys

I always look for an option to go straight to the artist's website and pay them directly with PayPal. I've done that a few times, got a phyiscal CD in the post and a link to the MP3s, plus sometimes you reduced rates on some gig tickets and shirts they're selling. Obviously it's a lot of hard work for the band in question but it means you make direct contact and they get a huge cut of the money minus PayPal's cut and the bills the artist has to pay.

The very best option though is to get out there into the music clubs and see lots of new and exciting acts play live, pay them directly cash in hand for the merch, not always possible I realise as it's based on punter geography but it's something I try to do whenever possible.

2. TheProf
    Angel

Duck cat

My take on this is that almost 30% of music buyers prefer to purchase a physical copy of the music.

I thought physical things were now supposed to dead and everything lived in a cloud.

(And if you get bored of the music you can play frisbee with a CD.)

3. Gene Cash Silver badge
    FAIL

WTF is "Synch"??

I understand the other three... but "Synch" isn't even mentioned.

1. HieronymusBloggs

Re: WTF is "Synch"??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronization_rights

4. The Nazz

I wish they'd make their friggin' minds up.

Either the punters have PURCHASED/BOUGHT a download or they've leased it. Choose one only. Typical greedy twunts, "purchased" when they want our cash as revenue, but only "leased" when they want it back or prevent you passing it on to your widow/estate etc.

And in which segment of revenue is that paid by broadcast radio, eg the UK's BBC Radio 1 which i believe pays the best part of £100 ($140 or so) every time it plays a song. Some of those songs must be owned by the "US record labels".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Legal streaming/downloads

As opposed to the 'other' [ahem] options....

6. Peter Clarke 1

Streaming- a question

Do you pay per track or for a period of time? Is the majority of a subscription not used? A comparison of tracks purchased/downloaded would be interesting

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Streaming- a question

I also don't understand the streaming comparison. Since there are multiple models, eg per track charges and "all you can eat" per month charges, how do they know if the same person listens to the same song multiple times and is that classed as one or more "streams" and charged as one or more "streams"

7. Stevie

Bah!

I trust these numbers like I believe all mainframe computers have been disconnected since 1995.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon