back to article Google reveals rapid cloud expansion

Google has decided to play catch-up with Amazon Web Services (AWS), announcing that it's going to add 12 regions to its cloud services by the end of 2017. The rollout will start with a Western US region hosted in Oregon, and an East Asia region to be built in Tokyo. Each of these regions will have multiple availability zones, …

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

I don't really understand the focus on regions, if you've got two locations in Europe, US and Asia-Pac with city based network PoPs then that seems enough for me. I suppose some might have strict latency requirements and the IoT brigade seem to care about latency.

If it's just lots of locations that are important to you then Azure is where you want to be.

But just counting locations isn't a very good measure; AWS Frankfurt, for example, is a poor cousin to US east 1 in terms of services offered.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Ever played Risk as a kid?

2. WonkoTheSane

I know a LOT of Australian "Star Citizen" gamers are hoping for an "Oceania" region to be on that list.

The game runs on Google's Cloud, and their current nearest DC is Singapore, which does NOT make for good latency.

3. Sil

That seems enough to you because you aren't in Africa, South America or other parts of the world without cloud regions. If you are in China, you can't use any provider you want.

Latency is a requirement, but there are other considerations such as laws and regulations, availability of partners, redundancy in multiple parts of the world, and so forth.

2. Sil

Also Azure has 22 regions and 5 in the works.

Some, like Germany, are quite interesting as they are aimed towards customers that must meet strict regulations.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like