back to article Jeff Bezos to give forth at US space symposium

Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon and Blue Origin, will speak at the Space Foundation's 32nd Space Symposium in Colorado Springs on 12 April, sandwiched between appearances by the Air Force Space Command's top man General John E. Hyten, and Deputy Secretary of Defense Robert O Work. The four-day shindig, running from 11-14 April, …

1. hplasm
    Holmes

Don't mention SpaceX...

"the fastest way to end Blue Origin's dependence on the Russian-made RD-180 engine"

FTFY, Jeff.

1. Dan Wilkie

Re: Don't mention SpaceX...

That's exactly what I came to the comments to post - I would have thought the fastest way to avoid the dependence was to just give the existing contracts to somebody who didn't use them.

If only there was an internet billionaire with a space technology company that didn't use the RD-180. They could call the company SpaceEx or something, that would be cool. Like Space Exploration.

1. Alister

If only there was an internet billionaire with a space technology company that didn't use the RD-180. They could call the company SpaceEx or something, that would be cool. Like Space Exploration.

That would be a great idea, I wonder who we could get to do it.

1. Dan Wilkie

Larry Ellison doesn't have a Space program yet...

1. Julz

He's waiting for a space yacht.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I've spent ten minutes on the internet trying to find a concise clarification of what Bezos is on about. No real joy. Some snippets, though:

- The BE-4 is about 3 times more powerful than the Merlin that SpaceX currently use.

- The BE-4 could be used in conjunction with existing NASA rocket stages

- SpaceX have been working on the Raptor, a motor of equivalent power to the BE-4. It is tied up with Musk's plans for Mars, such as possibly running on methane which could be sourced on the Red Planet.

-The BE-4 is further along the development path than the Raptor.

1. Dan Wilkie

I think SpaceX's approach to that though is just to Kerbal it and slap more engines on. Which seems to be working OK for them. Certainly there have been more successful launches powered by SpaceX engines than Blue Origin ones. And the Merlin has more power than the BE-3 which is Blue Origins existing engine.

I mean I have a design for a rocket engine I've just drawn on a post-it which puts out 350,000GN of thrust, but nobody seems to want to give me any money for it.

Also, Blue Origin is a stupid name. It sounds like a low emissions Hyundai.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Blue Origin isn't that stupid a name if you are starting a firm making methane rocket engines.. Methane burns with a nice blue flame.

1. Dan Wilkie

TitFish by that yardstick wouldn't be a stupid name if you were starting a company focussed around genetically engineering tits on a fish.

It would still be a stupid name...

1. Dan Wilkie

Forgot to add - they haven't made a Methane engine yet - still good old LOX/Hydrogen. It's the new one they've designed that's methane.

And it's still a stupid name...

2. Alister

@Julz,

Well Larry's already got the island volcano, it just needs excavating for the rocket silo.

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: Don't mention SpaceX...

Hmmm. Someone who's earned loads of cash from an international online payments system would be ideal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like