back to article US slaps trade ban on ZTE over Iran links

The US government is accusing Chinese vendor ZTE of using a complex scheme of subsidiaries to get around Iranian sanctions, and has therefore slapped export controls on the company. A notice at the Federal Register [PDF] describes documents obtained by the USA. In those documents, ZTE referred to import and export control " …

1. Mark 85

<scratches head> What the hell? I can see forbidding US companies to do business with them and banning the import into the US but that's about it. The article isn't that clear on what the sanctions are.

1. Ole Juul

Control issue

The US doesn't want others to gain any advantage. Also, at every opportunity they want to push their laws on other countries.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Control issue in crazed dementia patient

Modern times Uncle Sam = Olde age King Canute. And what to do in advancing days with zeroday spaces/virtual reality play areas?

Euthanasia or Sectioning? Merciful Killing or Hellish Existence in AIMadness?

And is the curtailing of trade a wise move for a nation in recession and over 19 trillion of debt …. http://usdebtclock.org .... or does none of that matter these days, whenever debt is just a paper exercise and blunt means of global control?

1. James 51
          Alien

Re: Control issue in crazed dementia patient

I need to stock up on tinned goods (and check my tea). amanfromMars1 is starting to make sense again...

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

The story goes that ZTE were buying Cisco kit and other US-brand stuff on the export banlist, then onselling it.

Never mind that the devices were likely made in china and never saw US shores.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Iranian sanctions?

Haven't these been lifted?

I know that the US has decided to reclassify Ballistic Missile Research as "Research into Nuclear Devices" the day after the other sanctions got lifted. So US-only sanctions continue. Must be about that.

Makes sense, right? AIPAC money is needed for the show of "presidential candidate" subhumans, so we can't go soft now...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Iranian sanctions?

Not at all.

There are 10+ sanctions acts on the USA statute book against Iran. So USA lifting the nuclear part of the sanctions means totally bugger all as far as doing business with Iran. You can still fall under the sanctions (this is just off the top of my head) regime on: missile development, the bombing of Buenos Aires Jewish center of 1994, Hezbollah support and god knows what else. This is even if we do no count the Iranian Nuclear Program Congress anti-Obama Sour Grapes Act of 2015 (aka H.R.158 - Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act).

So from the perspective of doing business with Iran - you still have a choice of doing business with Iran or doing business in/with USA. This is one of the reasons why no EEA major bank has announced full lifting of restrictions on financial operations with Iran. They are still being operated in "special checks" mode (if at all).

In the specific case of ZTE and Co this also is specifically aligned to internal US telecoms politics. Part of it is bog standard anti-competitive, the other part is the rabid paranoia shaking the US 3 letters after they went to the Chinese vendors for the same special feature sets as used in the Snowdenian revelations and got an immediate quote and availability back.

3. Dan Wilkie

I struggle to keep track - I thought they were our friends again now. Or are they not? Or are they our friends and not Americas friends? Or are America not our friends?

I don't understand international politics :\

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

What goes around, comes around and especially with chaos, what you give is what you get in spades.

I struggle to keep track - I thought they were our friends again now. Or are they not? Or are they our friends and not Americas friends? Or are America not our friends?

I don't understand international politics :\ .... Dan Wilkie

When all of what you have said is correct, do you appear to understand international politics extremely well, Dan Wilkie. The spread of confusion and chaos to hide the truth and control of virtual realities remotely.

IT aint rocket science. It is much more explosive than that.

However, as is being proven by media and news tales, in the hands, hearts and minds of the intellectually challenged is such a command program a ticking suicidal time bomb which blows up in the faces of controllers at all of the most inconvenient and previously thought impregnable and untouchable of places and spaces.

C'est la vie and karma and AI at ITs Work.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Maybe this helps: Countries do not have friends. Countries have interests. (Attibuted to Henry Kissinger, and I for one wouldn't put it past him. Oh, Henry Kissinger, how I'm missing yer...)

1. mhenriday
        Boffin

Actually, the sentiment is far older than our dear war-criminal friend Heinz Alfred Kissinger (who's admittedly no spring chicken) ; Henry John Temple put it this way in a parliamentary debate in the Commons on 7 August 1844 : «... I say that it is a narrow policy to suppose that this country or that is to be marked out as the eternal ally or the perpetual enemy of England. We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow. ...»

Henri

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Countries do not have friends. Countries have interests

Not sure. This closely resembles (+/- translation) the first sentence of a monologue by Klaus Kinski's character in "The Death of a Dishonest Man". That is probably one of the most vicious satire movies on politics as it is and still valid today. Unfortunately you are more likely to see it in Russia than in UK or USA. Quite hilarious - the Russians used to always show it the night before the elections in the past.

This is one movie I definitely would not mind paying for (if I can get my mitts on an English translation or subtitles).

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

@ Voland's right hand / Re: Kinski

Are you sure about the title (or is there an alternatice title, maybe)? I've looked (the usual suspects: IMDB, Wikithingy, fan pages) but can't find it.

4. erhumdm

And this what you will see in spades with TPP / TiPP

That is, the US administration and the major enterprises it protects (those who have lobbying arrangements) going after what they see as shady practices in other countries. Question is where does all of this stop ... just think Monsanto and wheat. Same thing goes for actions of others who might transgress some flimsy patent signed of by a naive administrator in the patent office.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like