back to article Microsoft wants to lock everyone into its store via universal Windows apps, says game kingpin

The founder of Epic Games says that Microsoft is trying to lock Windows developers into using its app store for all their products. Tim Sweeney reckons the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) is a power-grab from Redmond to force software companies into selling their work applications solely through the Windows Store. "Here, …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

App stores suck

For paid stuff they lack discovery. They're the music charts of software distribution. I definitely don't give a shit what's "trending".

For free stuff, they're churning compost heaps of 100% malware.

Free needs to be subdivided into 'free as in freedom', 'free as in beer', and 'free as in you're going to get scammed/exported/pwned'.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Re: App stores suck

Well, at least you can always trust Microsoft.

To screw things up at every turn.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Free needs to be subdivided into 'free as in freedom', 'free as in beer', and 'free as in you're going to get scammed/exported/pwned'.

"free as in bait"

2. Joerg

Stream and the Apple App Store/iTunes do not suck.

Microsoft sucks because they are a huge fraud. The whole childish unusable Metro/ModernUI and Windows10 spyware filled crap proves that.

1. P. Lee

Steam's doesn't, but I'm not a great fan of the i-Device store - it looks as though its full of junk, even if there's good stuff in there. It has been a great success for Apple, but it is interesting to note that the Mac Store has been less than successful. People want different things from a phone than from a PC. That doesn't bode well for MS who don't have a successful store of any kind to draw experience from.

Undoubtedly Tim Sweeney is correct. The fact that everyone knows they won't get away with such a maneuver should not make us complacent.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

the Apple App Store/iTunes do not suck.

I think the correct expression would be "sucks less" - the Apple model is not exactly without its flaws either. The impact of moving country, for instance, is still a huge mystery - do you still get updates or not?

3. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Sigh.

4. Fungus Bob
      Devil

"they're churning compost heaps of 100% malware"

How dare you sully the good names and reputations of compost heaps the world over, sir! HOW DARE YOU!

2. inmypjs Silver badge

Do bears shit in the woods?

Of course Microsoft are trying to exploit the monopolies they have and to create new ones. Why the hell do you think they have been trying to ram Win 10 down everyone's throat?

1. AlbertH
      Linux

Re: Do bears shit in the woods?

MS' new business model is to rent software to end users from "the cloud". The "free give-away" Windoze 10 is to get the end users dependent and then start charging per use for software - this will be wonderful for business users: their "rental" charges will be gigantic.

This has been MS' policy for the last 20 years - it's just now that there's sufficient connectivity to make it feasible.

There has never been a better time to migrate away from proprietary software and "Operating Systems"!

1. Spasticus Autisticus
        Happy

I think Garry Perez put it better than I can -

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2015/10/15/pushy_windows_10/#c_2665698 - and I concur with FozzyBear's sentiments a couple of posts later.

(#c_2665698 is the end of the link - it gets chopped off on my screen and I don't know how to do links on El Reg (do I need a badge to do links?))

2. Patrician

For people needing a general use PC at home for home office, email, web and gaming, Linux isn't the answer and is even less so for business I'm afraid. Much as the penguin fans might shout, moving from Windows Linux does reduce the options available to a user; example needed? Try buying, installing and playing Fallout 4 on a Linux box, or the older Planetside 2?.

If you don't game Linux is an option but driver support could still be an issue with even the "big boys" such as Nvidia and AMD being somewhat lackadaisical on releasing Linux drivers for their hardware.

2. Charles Manning

How to run a monopoly 101

The trick with a walled garden monopoly is to think of it like catching hogs in a hog trap or fish in a net. You put up the walls/slam shut the game/ pull in the net when the prey are inside - not when they've left.

If Microsoft had put in a proper store in 2000 or so, they could have improved user experience. It would have been a trusted place to get software and would have been a walled garden of at least some value. Much better than downloading dodgy looking binaries packed with malware off sourceforge etc.

Instead they've only done a half-arsed job and are now considering "doing it right" after they've blown their chance to do it properly.

Bah Microsoft. Can't even screw up properly!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: How to run a monopoly 101

Instead they've only done a half-arsed job and are now considering "doing it right" after they've blown their chance to do it properly.

Really? I haven't detected any attempt at doing things "right" at all, I don't think that's even in their DNA. If you put a Microsoft executive on a straight road they will STILL zigzag, just out of habit.

2. Halfmad

They could arguably have gotten away with it as late as the Windows 7 release, but now those pesky kids are wise to their tricks. I remember getting my first iPad, bought apps etc, then I got a Nexus 7.. oh different app store, then my wife got a Kindle as a present.. damn it.

Now we've got the Windows 10 app store, hey I get free Minecraft Beta - great, but will I go near it for ANYTHING ELSE? Will I hell.

1. Carling

Do you know how much Mafia$oft paid for (Linux) Minecraft? 8.2 Billion Dollars,

Do you know how much Mafia$oft paid for (Linux) Skype? 2.8 Billion Dollars.

That's why Mafia$oft have lead All windows users down the FNYPL (Free Now You Pay Later) path

Come September when every W10 user will have to sign up to pay annual subscription fees and use of other pay for WaaS & SaaS (Windows as a Service) & (Software as a Service) with their credit/debit card details to use the Azure Cloud Servers.then and only then will Mafia$oft W10 Zombie users will know how much cash they will be forking out monthly to use their computers online. because all W10 users will have to go through Azure cloud servers to get on the internet,

3. John Crisp

Stating the obvious

Someone has taken my role.

Even the man with the white stick saw this one coming.

1. Bob Merkin
      Joke

Re: Stating the obvious

Gandalf?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Stating the obvious

Gandalf

Didn't I tell you to take his staff away?

4. Michael B.

Deja Vu

Didn't Gabe Newell come out with the same doom laden prediction when Windows 8 came out? How did that prediction go then? Did steam, Origin and Gog die under the relentless onslaught of the Windows 8 and Windows 10 App Stores?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Deja Vu

Yeah, but Windows 8 wasn't force-downloaded onto peoples' computers.

Windows 10 is being force-downloaded except in instances where someone has taken active measures to prevent it.

1. Chika
        Devil

Yeah, but Windows 8 wasn't force-downloaded onto peoples' computers.

I'm increasingly wondering whether this forcing of Win 10 onto machines was because they knew that it would be a "Win 8 revisited" scenario if they stuck to their normal routine.

Yet again they forget that users will buy a new operating system if they think that it is good. Win 7 proved that much.

Typed in from TDE under Raspbian on my nice new Pi 3! No Win 10 IoT for you!

2. ecofeco Silver badge

As pointed out, Win 8 was not force downloaded on the user and had a whole lot less spyware and lock-in.

Unfortunately, Win 10 will be adopted. Corporate versions do not suffer the spyware issues so corporate buy-in is a done deal. The average user has no idea how to stop the auto upgrade and will be forced to use it no matter what, unless they are tech savvy. Most are not. And like all good zombie-sheep-sumers, they will complain but adapt anyway.

As it is, Win 8 and now 10 are already directly affecting PC sales. The average user is tired of the constant INCOMPATIBLE upgrades and very-non-intuitive GUI and is just saying "fuck it" unless they have a serious need to upgrade. For the average user, the hassle is just too great and their phone does pretty much all they need so now those chickens are coming home to roost.

3. Chairo

Windows 10 is being force-downloaded except in instances where someone has taken active measures to prevent it.

The most galling thing is that it is being force-downloaded even in instances where someone has taken active measures to prevent it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The most galling thing is that it is being force-downloaded even in instances where someone has taken active measures to prevent it.

Damn. It's a shame I no longer use Windows (well, it's not a shame for me, obviously) because I would have had good fun filing a formal complaint against Microsoft UK for a breach of the Computer Misuse Act 1990, and everything else I could throw at them (their Terms get annulled by the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, I think that losing control over one's own machine pretty much qualifies as unfair).

It's a criminal offence, and given the volume it would be impossible to ignore by the police so they couldn't buy or "politik" their way out of that one as I'd keep the press on it (which would make it toxic for anyone trying political pressure - sunshine is the ultimate disinfectant).

I really ought to get a Windows machine again, I'm missing out on so much fun..

(By the way, if you think that Win 10 is Microsoft's most egregious lock-in attempt you haven't been paying attention. Do you really think changing BIOS with UEFI was for your benefit? What is your main problem if you want to install Linux on any hardware?)

1. Carling

Linux can be installed on UEFI systems without turning the UEFI system off. Linux now has it's own UEFI digital signature including a EFI digital signature for the Apple Mac

2. Chika
          Coat

Ah, but have they taken the right measures?

What I have to worry about on my various W7 boxen of late is the repeated re-release of KB2952664, KB3035583, the various Windows Update Client releases and keeping an eye on what gets released on Patch Tuesday.

Yes, it's a bit of a slog but once it is done it's out of the way for another month and is likely to stop altogether once July is past. I hope.

Yes, it's quite obvious that Microsoft are ignoring the various settings, including the ones that they themselves advised us to use to opt out of this whole mess.

Wonder why?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Currently the windows store is a failure, easy to avoid and full of product you'll want to avoid. The backdown on Metro as the primary ui derailed the plan to nudge everyone onto the store as the default software source. Of course Gabes prediction looks wrong now, the plan failed *so far*.

That doesn't mean we can relax, the misuse of gaming to drive Win10 is underway, slowed by the need to push Xbox1 but finally gearing up. Leverage from xb1 is being used to ensure only universal crapps are supplied for windows AAA games, Microsoft's own games are only going to support it.

Bad luck, bad policies and incompetence have only delayed Microsoft's plan. There's still a war to be won.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If only there was a cheap and cheerful gaming OS out there (best case more or less POSIX compliant) able to do OpenGL / CUDA / whatever with practically 0 royalties and also not locked down so that could run other applications in parallel (which would make the thing generally usuable although not prevent nasty haxx by "gamers" eager to wincheat) and one could convince game studios to write for it ....

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

[OT] open source can include "signed code" features that would allow modified versions to be detectable, but still work if 'unsigned'. Yeah that's the opposite of Microsoft's method of signing code to prevent using it at all and scrape revenue from the required signature, but still... [apple does that, too]. Point is that 'gaming OS' could include this without it becoming a tollbooth for developers and end-users.

back on topic, ANY reasonable solution would have to ALLOW un-signed 3rd party code to work, though perhaps a game server might alter your avatar somehow to indicate you're using un-signed or modified code, which is of course a COMPLETE contrast to Microsoft's "we shall scrape revenue from every transaction" aka "The Store" model.

besides, how could a "the METRO" game (or 'Universal App(sic)') have the kinds of PERFORMANCE that native code gives you? It's self-contradictory for Microsoft to think that their additional layers of "the METRO" are HELPING anyone but themSELVES.

1. streaky

open source can include "signed code" features that would allow modified versions to be detectable, but still work if 'unsigned'

What's the point in signing any code if the whole system isn't signed. By definition that does nothing.

Also I dunno why people are obsessed with berating Microsoft for things they haven't done. If you don't like Microsoft that's cool, the issue doesn't affect you so what game are we actually playing here?

That was true then, and it's true now

No it wasn't and no it isn't else I wouldn't have bought the division from steam to uplay, I'd have bought it in the windows store. See how this works?

2. Carling

Quote :- If only there was a cheap and cheerful gaming OS

Reply :- You can't have any more cheap and cheerful than Free up to date February 2016 Open Source Linux operating system With the 74,400 plus Cheap and Cheerful professional Free Open Source Linux application software and 1,900 plus free games to go with it.

Answer :- Move to Free Open Source Linux operating system. If you don't know who are the worlds top 210 hardware and software develops that develop Linux operating system then visit their website here

http://linuxfoundation.org/about/members/ It will open your eyes,

If you want to move to Linux operating system then visit the Linux distribution website and see the latest releases, here, http://distrowatch.com/

For Linux gamers visit here.

http://gamingonlinux.com

if you want Free photo and 3D animation graphics editing software then visit these websites

http://gimp.org/

http://blender.org

Now you know the rest is up to You!

3. choleric

Maybe not, but that doesn't mean he was wrong to say it.

The very act of warning that a bad thing can happen is sometimes sufficient to stop it happening. Someone in a position of influence speaking out about a danger can change policies and strategies across an industry so that the problems they are warned about never come to pass.

When that happens then the bad stuff doesn't. Does that make someone like Gabe Newell wrong? Only in a very limited sense. In fact they have been right, and very effective.

We should applaud those who speak out in this way. If we end up with another PC monopoly then pretty much everyone is worse off.

4. streaky

Yep I came to make this exact point, it was in fact claimed by several people at windows 8 launch. What we'd be talking about is in fact the end of Windows as a general purpose computing platform and Microsoft wouldn't dare.

Don't know why people keep making this idiotic claim. Even Apple wouldn't do this for their desktop OS.

5. CFWhitman

Your post makes it sound like Gabe Newell made a prediction that didn't come true. That's rather a mischaracterization. What Mr. Newell said Microsoft wanted and was moving toward as much as they could was an application store that they fully controlled and which dominated the Windows ecosystem. That was true then, and it's true now. Everyone who points it out might at least delay how quickly than can accomplish it, but it's still where they want to go. It's also possible that by the time they got anywhere with this, they would have been all but abandoned by their customers (outside of the enterprise, where this will not work), but it's still where they want to go. Just because they might not be able to pull it off doesn't mean they aren't setting up to try it.

5. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

Oh dear, It would appear that nobody is doing any thinking.

UWPs involve the desktop market where Windows still has a (roughly) 90% "market dominant position". If Redmond attempted to do this the DoJ in the US and the European competition authorities would be all over them. The DoJ in the States would charge MS with anti-trust violations in no seconds flat.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Oh dear, It would appear that nobody is doing any remembering.

The FTC started looking at Microsoft's anti-competitive activities on 1991, and closed the investigation in 1993 without taking action. In 1993 the DOJ started investigating, and reached a settlement with Microsoft in 1994, which Microsoft promptly broke when they required all customers to pay for IE bundled with new computers whether they wanted it or not. The trial began in 1998. Microsoft were found guilty of using the monopoly in operating systems to crush competitors, and of tying. The court sentenced Microsoft to be broken into two (an OS company and an applications company) in 2000. In 2001 Microsoft wrote their own sentence which was accepted by the DOJ in 2002, and allowed Microsoft to continue tying.

If Microsoft do crush non-Microsoft Windows App stores, then I fully expect the FTC and DOJ to huff and puff for another decade and achieve nothing.

1. Arctic fox
        Headmaster

Re:The FTC started looking at Microsoft's anti-competitive activities......

You don't see the difference in degree this time? If this is true then MS are intending to lock out of the Windows pc market every independent software producer on the face of the planet. The only exceptions being those they choose to grant access. This would make their behaviour in nineties (major league shitty as it was) pale in comparison. I would also remind you that the European competitions authorities have not shown themselves to be completely toothless with regard to undertakings given by Redmond. You recall when MS fucked up over the browser choice page for the European version of Windows? Ballmer had, metaphorically if not literally, to ring the competition commisioner on his bended knees. It did not matter how much MS protested that it was a mistake, they still got slapped with a huge fine. I repeate, competition authorities all over the face of the planet will go beserk if Redmond tries this. This would be in fact an order of magnitude worse than their conduct in the nineties.

1. Mark Allread

Re: Re:The FTC started looking at Microsoft's anti-competitive activities......

"If this is true then MS are intending to lock out of the Windows pc market every independent software producer on the face of the planet"

Well they aren't intending to do that, there's nothing they've done that suggests that they've done that and you'd be an idiot to believe the tin-hat brigade that are ranting about scenarios that they've invented.

2. CFWhitman

Re: Re:The FTC started looking at Microsoft's anti-competitive activities......

Actually, no this wouldn't be legally bigger for Microsoft than what they did in the nineties for a number of reasons, but primarily because they've clearly shown what their tactic is.

They have made it clear that don't intend to absolutely force users to only use Microsoft's store. They have allowed sideloading. That is, they think they can get away with using an Android type model for their store. You can sideload programs, after acknowledging the warnings that they may be malware, and you can even have another store if you want, but their hope is that the majority of people won't enable sideloading and won't install another store. It's a gradual guide toward their goal rather than a sudden push. They won't force users to use the store; they will frighten them away from doing anything else.

2. Chika
        Trollface

Re: Oh dear, It would appear that nobody is doing any remembering.

If Microsoft do crush non-Microsoft Windows App stores, then I fully expect the FTC and DOJ to huff and puff for another decade and achieve nothing.

Well you'd expect Microsoft to get what they pay for, don't you?

2. Law

Re: Oh dear, It would appear that nobody is doing any thinking.

" If Redmond attempted to do this the DoJ in the US and the European competition authorities would be all over them."

If it was being done via consumer software I'd agree - but they're sneaking this in via developers who have to choose to develop this way and could, in theory, write for other platforms too. So they're rying to work on getting other people to make their monopoly for them through easy tools and a write-once deploy-to-many framework.

Sad thing is I think a lot of dev houses will go along with it... and if they aim this at indie devs and universities like they did with .NET then we'll have a whole generation coming through that won't see it as a problem.

1. Carling

Quote :- Sad thing is I think a lot of dev houses will go along with it...

Reply :- I doubt that very much. When Mafia$oft takes 33% of the selling price.

Answer :- if you had products and could only sell them in one place and the company that's selling it was taking 33% of your sales price would you be happy about that? I don't think you would be

3. AlbertH

MS will just laugh at any anti-trust suits brought against them. They have (effectively) unlimited funds and all sorts of malicious sanctions that they can apply!

4. ecofeco Silver badge

They are not attempting or trying to do this.

They ARE doing it.

6. DryBones
    Coat

Hang on...

Aren't these the same guys that say they prefer to make games for consoles, because they only have one or two configurations they need to test it against?

Isn't that what this UWP is supposed to do, make every PC look like a single configuration?

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Hang on...

No. And it doesn't make the system software "look the same" on any device any more than Win32/64 does either.

No. Because every pc out there has different hardware, no software can disguise that CPUs have different core counts or performance varying by 1000%. GPUs support different feature levels or with vastly different performance profiles.

Games devs like consoles because the hardware is constant. The OS is frequently a moving target.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

And even when the hardware is constant, they still can't get the game out on time with all the functionality working as it should.

2. DryBones

If you say so. I was reading another article ( last XBox or something) about it that seemed to be claiming that was the design goal.

I seem to recall (or imagine, same thing after enough time) one feature that predictably broke off of Longhorn was that idea of a module that managed games similar to a console, each in its own little stall or something.

And then we got The Registry, and that notion turned into a hairball that needs third party tools to keep under control...

1. Paul Shirley

One goal of UWP is to run the same apps everywhere. Run them at all. It's not to run them equally well everywhere and it can't do the impossible. Well it could slow down every platform to match the least capable one - that's the Metro solution BTW.

Unfortunately Microsofts real goal is maintaining and increasing Windows lock in, they'll grab as much control as we let them. It's not a time to be quiet while it happens.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like