back to article Investigatory Powers Bill lands in Parliament amid howls over breadth of spying powers

The Investigatory Powers Bill (IPB) has been formally laid before the UK Parliament, renewing criticisms that the government is trying to force it through without adequate democratic scrutiny. While the government claimed (PDF) that the bill responds to various Parliamentary committees' “call for greater clarity” much of this …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

In this Act “internet connection record” means data which –

(a) may be used to identify, or assist in identifying, a telecommunications service to which a communication is transmitted through a telecommunication system for the purpose of obtaining access to, or running, a computer file or computer program,

i.e. anything they want, as anything may "assist" to a greater or lesser degree. Like the complete contents of the packet.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: In this Act “internet connection record” means data which –

Ars Technica thinks that this version's definition of an ICR catches more data than the last, impossible as that sounds.

2. G R Goslin

Well...

...it's what you'd expect when ALL parties in Parliament are totalitarian. The power-mad abhor Democracy, and you have to be power-mad to want to sit in Parliament. Get used to it!

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Big Brother

Why don't they just make it a sentence long?

"All your data are belong to us."

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Why don't they just make it a sentence long?

Because they have shares in paper and ink manufacturers?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
  4. theOtherJT Silver badge

Ten months away...

“The new legislation needs to be in force by 31 December 2016 in order to ensure that powers which are essential to counter the threat from criminals and terrorists do not lapse.”

So the only possible excuse for rushing at this point is that you expect this bill to get defeated, and have to re-write it again.

Where as, if you wrote it properly in the first place...

5. sysconfig
    Thumb Down

Wow.

Speechless. They have really done it. So our only hope is that "terrorist sympathisers" [*] are in the majority in parliament and vote against the bill.

[*] since the Syria air strike debate that officially includes anybody not agreeing with government views

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow.

Ah well in that case we're relying on the magisterial oratory skills and persuasive powers of that well-known liberal Andy 'ID cards - yes please!' Burnham.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Double taxation

It super pisses me off that I have to pay for spying that won't affect me, while I have to pay for a VPN on top of my ISP bill.

I may even have to downgrade to ADSL (from FTTC) to keep my costs down :(

1. Stuart 22

Re: Double taxation

"It super pisses me off that I have to pay for spying that won't affect me, while I have to pay for a VPN on top of my ISP bill."

You can rent an offshore VPS to host your VPN, mailservers, blog and other useful stuff for around a fiver a month. Being doing this for a while. Amazing watching this business friendly government drive business abroad.

I (but not Theresa?) expect the serious crims and terrorists to be well ahead of me ... so why, why, why?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That £5 is the difference between ADSL and FTTC.

If we didn't live in a surveillance state, I could continue to run my mail and website (cached by cloudflare) from home.

2. Seajay#

It seems crazy but we know that, for instance, the Paris attackers were using unencrypted text messages to organise. The terrorists are not way ahead of you. That's because they *are* crazy.

When we encounter non-crazy terrorists be very afraid because we're screwed. Therefore the best defence is to build a society which non-crazy people don't want to attack. Tolerance and inclusion are essential to that and privacy forms a small but important part too.

1. Kane
          Big Brother

"When we encounter non-crazy terrorists be very afraid because we're screwed."

There is no when, we already do, they're called "Elected Representatives".

2. Dr Dan Holdsworth

The Paris attackers were working on the not-unreasonable assumption that if the police hadn't collared them by the night of the big attack, then the police weren't on to them sufficiently for unencrypted comms on the night to be an issue.

Just because comms chatter is unencrypted does not mean that it is intelligible, either. Look at teenagers wittering on in text-speak language. Lots of info, not easily understood.

7. Wolfclaw
    Big Brother

Even the East German STASI didn't do this level of spying on it's own citizens, just ask Angela Merkel, I bet she can still remember the good old days !

8. Phil Bennett

ISP level protection

In the wake of 3 starting to offer network-level ad protection, could an ISP simply route all traffic (except BBC iPlayer :)) through a different company located in a civilised nation? Then the ICR available would be 'user X connected to the VPN', no more detail available, and the ISP would avoid spending extra money on compliance with this ridiculous law.

1. Mark 85

Re: ISP level protection

could an ISP simply route all traffic (except BBC iPlayer :)) through a different company located in a civilised nation?

So not the US then? I'm not sure you'll find any civilized nations.

1. a pressbutton

Re: ISP level protection

I am given to understand Germany has some fairly good privacy laws

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome to Totalitaria

Hello Citizen,

Welcome to our new country Totalitaria. We will record and monitor everything you do, rest assured you are safe from terrorists from the moment you are born when we take and analyse your DNA and fit your personal safety tracker. Your School record will be monitored and analysed. Everywhere you go will be monitored through our network of friendly CCTV camera's. Every conversation you have, every website you visit , every thing you type will be monitored and analysed for your protection.

Rest assured anyone that thinks differently or shows any sign of dissent will be taken to one of our education centres where they will be re-educated (tortured) to reverse the error of their ways.

Regards,

Your Government.

1. John G Imrie

Re: Welcome to Totalitaria

Re comment: The Register

Associating re-education with torture is crimethink

Locate individual and assign to room 101 immediately.

Long live BB

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Better get adjusted pronto then:

http://boingboing.net/2015/11/13/i-spy-surveillance-books-a-ch.html

2. Christoph

Freedom is slavery

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Ignorance is Strength

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Big Sister or just BS

4. This post has been deleted by its author

10. John G Imrie

Put the word privicy in the title

It is always best to dispose of the difficult bit in the title; it does less harm there than in the text. -- Sir Humphrey Appleby

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Put the word privicy in the title

As a piece of superb timing Yesterday is rebroadcasting the first ever Yes Minister programme tonight: Open Government. That's the phrase Sir Humphrey put in the title.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stasi on steroids

So, in essence, she's trying to make it legal to spy on all British people without any evidence of wrong doing.

Bulk fishing. A straight violation of the Privacy Right. And the details are kept from Parliament and outside the democracy, on a "trust us" basis.

You donutters, look at what you did. Parliament said no to Snoopers Charter, you did it anyway and now the only people allowed in office are those ultra-pro-surveillance clones. Political elections held under GCHQ microscope and Farrs influence. You did that, you undermined the democracy, and turned the spying machine against Britain and now we get people like Theresa May.

She can see nothing wrong with making a Stasi surveillance machine on steroids watching every Brit for signs of dissent just in case.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stasi on steroids

They can legislate themselves all Bourbon biscuits; doesn't mean that they can have it. We have encryption. If they can play silly buggers, then so can the public.

1. Steven Raith

Re: Stasi on steroids

Which is great, until 'excessive use of encryption technology' is enshrined into law as 'reasonable suspicion of cyber-terrorism' (or whatever they think will get through - terrorism, paedophilia, any other 'indefensible' argument) on the back of these regulations, and used as an excuse to kick in doors and confiscate equipment.

That sort of thing actually already happens, it just requires a bit more pretence at the moment - IE false accusations of hacking, etc - as right now, just Encrypting. Fucking. Everything. can't be used in and of itself as suspicion of a crime. It can certainly be used to bolster the case to get a warrant against you though, if the motivations are strong enough with the right people.

People say we're sleepwalking into a surveillance state, my reaction to the above (as that's pretty much what happened to them) suggests we've been there for a while, frankly.

Steven R

12. Cynical Observer
    Coat

Codes of Practice - Really?

From the UK Parliament Website...

Delegated or secondary legislation is usually concerned with detailed changes to the law made under powers from an existing Act of Parliament. Statutory instruments form the majority of delegated legislation but it can also include Rules or Codes of Practice.

What delegated legislation does

Delegated legislation allows the Government to make changes to a law without needing to push through a completely new Act of Parliament. The original Act (also known as primary legislation) would have provisions that allow for future delegated legislation to alter the law to differing degrees.

These changes range from the technical, like altering the level of a fine, to fleshing out Acts with greater detail; often an Act contains only a broad framework of its purpose and more complex content is added through delegated legislation.

As binding as a string vest. Essentially - the minister of the day can vary the code of practice and it does not need a parliamentary vote. So .. to paraphrase;

"The law says I can say what's going to happen. Well this year, I think you should all behave and tell me what you're thinking"

Something of this magnitude, of this severity, needs to have a firmer set of strictures defined. The limitations in terms of permitted and forbidden activity should be defined, debated and ultimately voted upon by parliament where they will pass or fail based on their merits.

Pulling aspects of law out into individual ministerial whim control should not be allowed or tolerated.

Can someone stop the world - I want to get off.

1. Hit_it_again

Re: Codes of Practice - Really?

I share your chagrin.

However, re: how the bill is being handled, I've seen a pattern over the years, happening here and in the US: the gov-types introduce a security bill that shrieks with overreach, then the inevitable horse-trading begins. In the end, the proposers end up with a Law that is worse than the privacy/rights critics wanted, but the most egregious measures are pulled or dialled down, giving the illusion of a) relief and b) reasonableness. And all along the proposers were seeking the position they actually got, knowing they can return next year/whenever and gain yet more ground by the same tactic.

And that is how cynical the whole issue is to these control freaks! And that offends me even further...

I want to suggest that we start to frame the debate, not in terms that the proposers create (protection, fear and national interest alone), but in terms that change the public's perception of the issue - ways they can understand and feel. So, for example how would they feel if hidden strangers were listening in on their intimate conversations, watching them undress at home, assessing their every decision: strangers unaccountable, hidden and uninvited? Who could destroy their lives from afar, with impunity? What difference then if they are your government or a foreign power/group?

Dunno. But we must define what privacy means to us, and stand up for it, before they define it for us.

13. Keith 12

“call for greater clarity”

“call for greater clarity” - let's hope it's better than the existing legislation then but I won't be holding my breath. Some years ago our Hosting Server provider informed us that they had received and acted on a RIPA request for E-Mail information for a customer of ours who's Domain we host. Unsure as to whether or not there was a legal requirement for us to inform, in turn, our customer, or not, we contacted the relevant GOV UK department who were unable / refused to confirm what our position was. They forwarded to us 3 HUGE .pdf files, filled with legal jargon which would have taken a Barrister a year to wade through with the instruction - "it's all in there" We informed the client anyway and were subsequently informed, by the same GOV UK office, that we had broken the law. Yet, from what little I have read of the new legislation I did notice that "it will be illegal to inform someone that a RIPA request has been made against them", or similar, which suggests that it's not actually illegal at the moment.

Years ago, most laws appeared to pretty black and white to most of us. Of late they seem to take the view that "they will decide", under existing legislation, if in fact you have broken the law or not.

I'm reminded of the saying attributed to Cardinal Richelieu:"If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him."

I wouldn't trust these f***s an far as I could throw them.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better start campaigning to stay in the EU

As that is about the only chance you have of stopping this bill in tis current form.

1. Velv
      Big Brother

Re: Better start campaigning to stay in the EU

Despite the claims of wanting to stay in the EU, perhaps you missed the proposals to opt out of the European Convention on Human Rights

1. Graham Marsden

@Velv - Re: Better start campaigning to stay in the EU

> perhaps you missed the proposals to opt out of the European Convention on Human Rights

Ironically, Cameron is campaigning to stay In, even though this would actually make it *more* difficult for him to dump the ECHR and introduce his "You have the Rights we *say* you can have, provided they're not too inconvenient for us" British Bill of Rights.

15. Camilla Smythe

Me and My Mates in ISIS..

Are enjoying this on our 'private' forums. Just for effect we will wait and plan for six months after you have had this legislation in place and then blow up multiple meat-bags all over the UK... then you get to decide just how effective your legislation was. Hey... thanks for the invite.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Me and My Mates in ISIS..

Forget all this nasty foreign terrorism.

What we need is good old fashioned home-grown terrorism. Anarchism for the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

..What we need is good old fashioned home-grown terrorism. Anarchism for the UK.

It wouldn't work, look into what happens to 'Anarchists' in the UK sometime, the surveillance that they want to apply to everyone has been applied to 'Anarchists' for decades (It could be argued that it has been continuous since Victorian times).

They're probably more police/spook ridden than the animal rights mob.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Joke

"They're probably more police/spook ridden than the animal rights mob."

There are no anarchists in the UK. You just think there are because all the various agencies have had so many undercover operatives in there for so long and no interdepartmental communication that all the real ones have left. It's just spooks spying on police spying on spooks all interbreeding with each other.

16. Blipvert
    Big Brother

RIGHT THAT DOES IT!!!

I'm so angry i'm gonna pop round tonight to where she lives and jam a ZX81 up her box!!!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: RIGHT THAT DOES IT!!!

That's not an approved way to recycle electronic waste! You might get RIPAed for this.

17. RichMcc

You show me yours, I'll show you mine?

I say lead by example. Lets see the last 12 months browsing history of every MP, Lord and Royal and we'll follow suit! If there's anyone left!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: You show me yours, I'll show you mine?

Maybe a FIA request for Teresa May's internet communication records for the past year? Just as an illustration of what's intended, of course.

1. Cynical Observer
        Thumb Down

Re: You show me yours, I'll show you mine?

It was done - back in November 2015.

Apparently the request was considered vexatious and was refused. Make of that what you will

18. YARR
    Stop

Government hacking is the Big Brother state

Intercepting communications is the modern equivalent of mail intercepts, but is there any legal precedent for allowing government agencies to hack into our private electronic devices? Don't current laws protecting private property make this a criminal offence? I would certainly consider it offensive for someone to access my data without my permission, let alone modify my data or change the operation of my devices. Government exploits could risk our data integrity and leave us more vulnerable to hacking by third parties.

For anyone who supports the government's right to hack our electronic devices, are you fine with them entering your home without your permission and tearing pages out of your diary, changing your shopping list, stealing your family photos, changing the settings on your radio etc. which are the real-world equivalent? This ruling crosses the line between the state serving the public interest and infringing on our privacy. When the authorities are granted these powers, they will be used against innocent people because someone with a grudge has accused them and they are under investigation. Why should anyone have to endure an ongoing invasion of privacy, without even being aware of it?

If the police need a warrant to enter your property, you are informed by them arriving at your property with a warrant, you are only subjected to one search, it's not ongoing so your privacy is not infringed after the police leave. Finally, if they do their job well they should not alter or damage your property. The electronic equivalent is imaging your hard drive without modifying it's content, then looking for evidence of the reported crime in the imaged data. I think these standards should apply when governments agencies seek access to our electronic devices. I also think that all information obtained this way is considered private and is only made public if used for a successful prosecution.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For reference:

"The new legislation will also give legal backing to the hacking of smart phones and computers by the security services."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35689432

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Government hacking is the Big Brother state

"Intercepting communications is the modern equivalent of mail intercepts"

Not quite. Not unless you think the Post Office keep a record of every bit of mail sent, both source and destination address.

19. ecofeco Silver badge

Magna Carta part II

It's seem another Magna Carta will eventually be needed for the average person.

If we hurry, we can have it ready in about, what, maybe 100 years?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like