back to article NSX Daddy Martin Casado leaves VMware to become a VC

Martin Casado is leaving VMware to join venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz. That's Martin Casado the founder of Nicira, the network virtualisation company he sold to VMware for US$1.26bn back in August 2012. Casado's an enormously influential chap: he just about summoned the idea of networking virtualisation from the …

1. PassiveSmoking

NSX?

I'm guessing that's not a supercar built by Honda

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMware Quiet??

Post on there own blog announcing the news, maybe not a press release, but as good as.

http://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/2016/02/martin-casado.html

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VMware Quiet??

There is a blog post, maybe not a press release, but as good as.

http://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/2016/02/martin-casado.html

4. Doogie Howser MD

The brain drain continues

I know he says he'll still have some input, but moving from his VMware position to one at a VC seems a bit strange to me.

I found his attitude and presentations quite refreshing, he seemed genuinely engaged in NFV and NSX is a very good product. Shame VMware seem intent on keeping most gigs to themselves and not sharing the love with accredited partners, but that's another gripe entirely...

5. abufrejoval

Too Honest

I remember his session at VMworld in Barcelona about a year ofter the purchase.

Pretty much the first thing he said is that you *don't* need VMware when you run your own software as a service, because any sane IT service company would obviously put all netelligence into the application layer.

He explained that VMware (and NSX) are all about recreating as much as possible the management bliss that the likes of Facebook and Google enjoy for legacy IT shops.

Basically he said

1. VMware isn't for all of you

2. VMware won't make you perfectly happy

and was actually surprised they didn't shoot him right on the stage.

How utterly refreshing and inspiring, though!

I wish him the best!

6. Cloud, what..... Sorry... Um... - you just made that up.

Sinking Ship -rat......

I'm pretty sure he has seen the writing on the wall for VMware.

Growing faster than ESX did - my ar$e. I rekon they only have about 6000 customers worldwide, but since it costs $100000 per site then a 600m turnover would be about right.

Great product I'm sure but at that price they arnt going to sell much.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon