back to article Data centre inventory tools have come around again? Yup, they have

BMC's betting that despite decades of lecturing about the importance of accurate inventories of your servers and networks, you haven't learned the lesson and are still losing tin and VMs in your bit barns. This time around the company feels it's not entirely your fault: now that we're all doing automation and spinning up …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

The sad thing is that BMc really has a point.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I'm guessing statistics are in its favour as well.

Because one thing is sure: Humanity has a hell of a time learning from its mistakes, or from the past in general.

2. Jay 2

Tru dat

Yep. As I know full well there are some somewhat-forgotten boxes round here somewhere. But I won't be buying any BMC software to see where they are, I'll just get my arse to the DC and look in the cabs.

Mind you from days past I'm not a huge fan of BMC. Once upon a time I worked somewhere that had rolled out BMC Patrol to monitor servers. More often that not we'd see an alert on the main dashboard, drill down to see what was causing the red flashing, to find it was complaining about the BMC Patrol agent on the server...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like