back to article Microsoft finally ties the knot with Xamarin, snaps up mobile app biz

Microsoft has bought its long-time partner Xamarin for an undisclosed sum. "With today's acquisition announcement we will be taking this work much further to make our world-class developer tools and services even better with deeper integration and to enable seamless mobile app dev experiences," said Scott Guthrie, VP of …

1. thames

Goodbye Mono

Goodbye Mono, as I can't see Xamarin continuing to support it now that they're part of Microsoft. They will promote their version of DotNet instead.

I can't say that I'm actually too surprised at this development. Now we can watch as Xamarin's/Microsoft's products are increasingly tied into the rest of Microsoft's development tools, cloudy stuff, etc., and see all the platform independence slowly drain away, leaving no real reason to use it in the first place.

Congratulations to the founders for cashing out though.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. CFWhitman

Re: Goodbye Mono

Well, technically, since Mono is open source, if Xamarin dropped it, development could be taken up by someone else. However, I think it is more likely that Xamarin will continue to develop Mono and tie it more closely to Microsoft, perhaps eventually making open source .Net and Mono into one project.

There are alternatives to Mono, though.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Windows 10 Mobile is dead, it has ceased to be

Yes, MSFT wanted an easy tool to port it's iOS apps to Android.

3. Richard Plinston

> tools that let developers build mobile apps for iOS or Android (or even Windows Phone) using C#.

Perhaps Xamarin were about to dump Windows Phone, or refused to do 'Universal' (Windows 10 only) UWPs. MS bought Nokia phone division for just that reason.

1. RyokuMas

Nope...

Xamarin UWP support was already in progress before this was announced.

4. Mikel
    Pint

Xamarin is dead

Not that it was interesting when it was alive, but let's have a Merry wake anyway.

5. W.O.Frobozz

Miguel finally got his dearest wish..to be a Microserf.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like