back to article Techie the most recession-proof job

Want to survive the next global financial meltdown without being forced to trade your shoes for food? Well, you'd be safest to get a job in tech. Since 2002, the most "recession-proof" job has been the tech sector, with the total wage bill having risen 82 per cent to £32bn in 2013, as more folk flocked to get jobs in the …

1. TRT Silver badge

I'd argue...

that "politician" is the most recession proof job.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'd argue...

Or Bank Boss,

if the recession gets you the payoff is recession proofed for life

2. MonkeyBob

"that "politician" is the most recession proof job."

Recession proof yes, but not election proof, except in a 'safe' seat

1. Oengus
        Thumb Up

"except in a 'safe' seat"

Not in Australia... We had a sitting Prime Minister in a 'safe' seat voted out.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

11% pay drop in real terms. What a coincidence that's exactly the pay rise MP's got. Who'd have bleedy thougth it!

2. Snow Wombat
    Holmes

Yeah... not "tech" so much..

More "code monkey"

If you are any sort of Tier 1 or 2 support, or even Tier 3 server people.. your jobs are being outsourced as quickly as they can.

I bailed on IT, and I am so happy I am back at Uni at 36 doing Engineering.

1. myhandler

Re: Yeah... not "tech" so much..

Engineering? I'm led to believe that's as recession proof as a chemist or miner..

Plumber or central heating engineer.. now you're talking

1. TRT Silver badge

Well, if the economy is going down the drain...

2. LucreLout

I'm a code monkey, have been for decades, and the idea it is recession proof is concealing a lot of blips.

If your employer goes bust then it doesn't matter what you used to do for them.

If you get a new asshat boss and need to leave, the recession can make that very difficult, especially if you're a very highly paid non-contracting code monkey. And that can be utterly utterly miserable.

The next recession looks likely to arrive in H1 2017, and hopefully after that is out of the way we can get some feel good factor going in that recovery, because it's passed me by this time around for sure.

The other piss on the chips, of course, is off-shoring. Bean counters and empty suits have this hopelessly incorrect idea that because Indians & other offshorians are cheap that they can do the job. Unfortunately that just isn't born out by the experience of literally anyone I know who has had the privilege of working with them.

The code is below graduate level, the spec poorly understood and often some distance from what is built, and appalling lack of accountability borders on insanity (Lose your job? No worries, the body shop over the road is hiring and will give you a raise).

Until the government take action to address this madness, there's zero likelihood of me encouraging my kids into coding. I'd rather spend my time teaching them a trade or something else that can't be off-shored or easily robotised, and just enough computers to fall back on.

3. The Godfather
    Pint

The earth's flat...

What a load of old bull....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like