back to article Barracuda kills CudaDrive and Copy cloud storage services

Barracuda Networks' financial woes look to be biting, as the company has announced it is killing its cloud storage services, CudaDrive and Copy.com, and focussing resources on stuff that really matters. The company has blogged the news, with Rod Mathews - veep and general manager of the company's storage business – saying …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Shame

I use Copy, well I did, and I found it really good. The mover.io integration was brilliant dragging in data from Google Drive and Dropbox which saved me time.

Oh well, time to shift to OwnCloud then. At least if I decided to close that service for myself I can take myself outside and have a quiet word with myself.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Shame

First build your server. I figure if that's stage 1 with ownCloud, I probably don't need a cloudy offering as wasn't that the whole point, that someone else did the server bit?

2. Roq D. Kasba

The honourable thing

Since Copy pushed so hard for 'free and forever' storage clients, how has the landscape really changed to cause dramatic reversal? I'm sure most users aren't even close to their provisioned limit (mine was 65GB, thanks to referrals, I have less than 1GB stored), so why not do the halfway house measure and shrink-wrap all accounts to read only, kill previous file versions, and run a reduced system to at least honour the spirit of their proposal? They could even open source their code if they wanted to be honourable...

3. Dwarf

Yet another example

Of why cloud will not work in the long term for most ordinary people.

One day you are happily using service with <vendor> and life is good

The next day you find out that some bean counter has decided to close things and you need to scramble to protect all your data before it self destructs in x days time.

Repeat until bored over the next 5-10 years as the market thins out, then watch as the remaining super powers raise their prices or lower their offering against a captive audience

Never had that problem on my local discs ...

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Yet another example

In spinning rust we trust

4. GeezaGaz

no more freeloaders

you want online storage...you gotta pay

them servers aren't free to buy or run

These companies need to scrap free plans to have a sustainable business.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I didn't have a great deal in my Copy folder, but even so it was still a pretty useful service even though there was no easy way to use from my Chromebook without firing up a crouton chroot.

I've been meaning to look into OwnCloud for ages - maybe now is the time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon