back to article German Chancellor fires hydrogen plasma with the push of a button

Angela Merkel has witnessed the first hydrogen plasma being created by the Wendelstein 7-X fusion reactor experiment as part of Germany's push to take the lead in future power generation. Chancellor Mutti, as the ex-research scientist is known by the German electorate, fired up the device – which then fired a two-megawatt …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's Bundeskanzlerin Frau Doktor Angela Merkel to you

Germany - where politicians are sane enough to be allowed to press buttons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's Bundeskanzlerin Frau Doktor Angela Merkel to you

Germany - where politicians are sane enough to be allowed to press buttons.

But a bit pointless because the German public will be easily stirred up by the Greens, and it can join fission reactors on the "we're scared, take it away now" list.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Well, she has a magna cum laude PhD in physics* (Dr. rer.-nat.) and isn't related to Douglas Fargo, so she's good to go re pressing buttons.

* 1986: "Untersuchung des Mechanismus von Zerfallsreaktionen mit einfachem Bindungsbruch und Berechnung ihrer Geschwindigkeitskonstanten auf der Grundlage quantenchemischer und statistischer Methoden"

1. Rich 11

Well, she has a magna cum laude PhD in physics* (Dr. rer.-nat.)

Why do we never get a politician with a decent education? All those PPEs don't seem to result in a non-sociopathic Cabinet.

1. Unep Eurobats
          Mushroom

I bet Putin would have loved to push that button (sans shirt, natch).

80 MEEEEELLION degrees.

1. x 7

"I bet Putin would have loved to push that button"

No, its not gay enough. There's only one kind of button Putin likes pushing

2. DJO Silver badge

Why do we never get a politician with a decent education?

We had one who was an industrial chemist and we're still suffering from the damage she caused.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You're right, the country has lost its quaint character since Thatcher defeated the unions. No longer are homes lit by candle-light for half of the week.

1. DJO Silver badge

You're right, the country has lost its quaint character since Thatcher defeated the unions. No longer are homes lit by candle-light for half of the week.

Before Thatcher it took one average salary to be able to afford to buy one average house, after Thatcher it took 4 to 5 average salaries to be able to afford one average house. The knock-on effect of house price inflation is felt throughout the economy and Thatcher was almost completely responsible for it. (She allowed Building Societies to run Estate Agencies which was previously not allowed due to the obvious conflict of interest, this caused the first rocketing of house prices)

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Before Thatcher it took one average salary to be able to afford to buy one average house, after Thatcher it took 4 to 5 average salaries to be able to afford one average house."

Its called supply and demand. Look it up. And since labour let in 4 million immigrants who all needed somewhere to live, please explain how that helped house and rent prices?

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"since Thatcher defeated the unions"

+1. One of the best things a government has ever done for the country.

3. BurnT'offering

No, the UK still retains its quaint character with the Conservatives doing their best to reintroduce feudalism

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. TheVogon

"with the Conservatives doing their best to reintroduce feudalism"

It's not their fault Labour elected a hopeless peasant with medieval beliefs as leader....

1. x 7

"hopeless peasant"

shouldn't that be "hopeless pedant"?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"We had one who was an industrial chemist and we're still suffering from the damage she caused."

FFS are people really still trotting out this lefty scapegoat? Get over it. Thatcher left power TWENTY SIX YEARS ago. We had THIRTEEN years of a Labour government who had more than enough time to sort out any issues. They didn't - they fucked the economy even more. So GTFU and stop blaming a dead woman for the Labour partys fuckups in the late 90s and 2000s.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
              Joke

FFS are people really still trotting out this lefty scapegoat? Get over it. Thatcher left power TWENTY SIX YEARS ago.

Exactly. It's a smokescreen. It complete hides the appalling policies of Pitt the Younger. That man should be vilified for the ongoing harm he caused this country!

1. x 7

"the appalling policies of Pitt the Younger. "

Yes, my ancestral village has a pond named after him, which he pushed the local landowner into making. That valley has never been the same again. Appalling waste of good farmland (though it used to be a good source of ice for storing food - shame the global warming kicked in a couple of hundred years ago)

2. Cuddles

"So GTFU and stop blaming a dead woman for the Labour partys fuckups in the late 90s and 2000s."

It's not an "us or them" situation. It's entirely possible to blame said dead woman for her fuckups while also blaming the following Labour government for their own, independent fuckups. And blaming subsequent Labour, Tory and coalition governments for all of theirs. Just because someone dislikes Thatcher doesn't mean they're some rabid fanboy who thinks Labour can do no wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Just because someone dislikes Thatcher doesn't mean they're some rabid fanboy who thinks Labour can do no wrong."

True. But any changes thatcher (and major) made could have been reversed by 13 years of a labour government if they'd wanted to. They didn't. In fact they arguably made things even worse - Hospital PFIs anyone? A policy of such breathtaking stupidity that even the monster raving looneys would probably have discarded it as being too crazy.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

There are those who would say it's perfectly reasonable to blame Mrs T for the mistakes of New Labour, since - it is argued by some - Blair and Brown were just continuing the Thatcherite project. Just like the current shower...

If you're a real Lefty, you know it's been quite a long time since the UK has had a genuinely left-wing government - the last one got voted out in 1951.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"All those PPEs don't seem to result in a non-sociopathic Cabinet."

PPE was invented at Oxford to replace Greats - the study of the classics which ensured you had the best education money could buy - from the 1st century AD.

Politics - keeping our class in power

Philosophy - why it is right that we run the country

Economics - how to ensure we get all the money.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

FFS - can we get back to the science please? 17 threads and counting about Merkel...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

The problem is AC, that Politics have become much more important to most readers than the odd Science article. Politics has more effect on our immediate futures. Merkel is using this announcement politically to make her look better than she really is.

There are too many people concerned about politics to contain the fervor; regardless of how so many wish to cram the genie back in the bottle and silence dissenting opinion. This is the case on almost every forum I have visited. It is not limited to the Register.

2. x 7

"17 threads and counting about Merkel..."

yes, her clothes style is naff

2. gotes

Re: PPE

Politics - keeping our class in power

Philosophy - why it is right that we run the country

Economics - how to ensure we get all the money

There was me thinking it referred to George Osborne's hi-vis and hard hat.

3. joed

I could you bring number of historical examples to the contrary (this in regard to sanity being particual virtue of German politicians).

BTW, when she pressed that button I bet she was hoping to execute nuclear option against EPA harassing VAG;)

4. big_D Silver badge

Chancellor Mutti was new to me, so I asked my German wife, she has never heard the term either.

1. GrumpenKraut

> ... she has never heard the term either.

It's not "Chancellor Mutti" usually, but just "Mutti".

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Yesss... you know the world has gone mad when you have German, sane and politician in one sentence.

Dunno, but the first thing that came to my mind was: "Now Witness the Firepower of this fully Armed and Operational Battle Station"

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Germany - where politicians are sane enough to be allowed to press buttons."

Given the chaos Merkel has caused in europe in the last few months I'm not sure "sane" is a word I'd use to describe her.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> Given the chaos Merkel has caused in europe in the last few months

To be fair to her, she's teetering on the usual politician seesaw: "Do the right thing" vs "get re-elected". Her's seems slightly more tilted to the "do the right thing[1]" than a lot of other politicians..

[1] albeit a "do the right thing" from a German perspective but you can't have everything..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"[1] albeit a "do the right thing" from a German perspective but you can't have everything.."

"Do the right thing" seems to translate into german as "Yet more WW2 guilt assuaging self flaggelation except this time lets whip the rest of europe as well as ourselves". I don't believe in Sins of the Father and I'm getting a bit sick of the elderly generation in europe trying to push inherited guilt onto the young. You have to be over 70 years old to have even been alive during WW2 and all the people responsible for it are long dead. Time to move on.

2. ZSn

magnetic coils

A stellarator also uses 'magnetic coils to keep the plasma from burning its way out of the reaction chamber'. It's just that they aren't cylindrically symmetric the same way that a Tokamak is. The big problem with stellarators is that the 'bends' in the plasma containment vessel have to be very well designed and machined to ensure that there aren't points where there is a higher transport of the plasma across the field lines and thus a lower containment time. That said the ability to work continuously is a big plus.

Though 80 million sounds a lot, it's only about 7KeV, which isn't that much compared to what a fully functional burning plasma needs to achieve (perhaps stellarators can run lower, I'm too rusty to remember that though).

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: magnetic coils

Even looking at the diagram of the Stellarator it's hard to picture - no wonder it's taken until now to be able to run the models to design the fields.

And all this for the price of a couple of community catalyst catapults for a Shoreditch web design imagineering exercise.

1. ZSn

vulnerable

They've had stellarators for at least 25 years that I personally know of. What has changed is that the magnetic layout - design and implementation - is computer controlled meaning that the confinement time and temperature had improved considerably.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"And all this for the price of a couple of community catalyst catapults "

Or not even half a UK banks bonus budget.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "And all this for the price of a couple of community catalyst catapults "

Which is private money, so completely off topic.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: "And all this for the price of a couple of community catalyst catapults "

Except for the £850bn in public money to bail them out.

3. BenR

Upvoted just for "And all this for the price of a couple of community catalyst catapults for a Shoreditch web design imagineering exercise."

2. Col_Panek

So a stellerator uses magnetism, but a tokamak uses current. Glad they cleared that up.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

"Wendelstein 7-X"

With that kind of Perry Rhodan styled naming, this MUSS SEIN EIN success!

Did the assembled button-pushing politicians carry rayguns and wear spacesuits of zany design?

Bum icon because 1) A tear for the outrageously fascistic storytelling of my youth and 2) That photo vaguely looks like there is a homeless person in the plasma chamber

1. Rafael 1

Re: "Wendelstein 7-X"

Upvoted because it was the fascistic storytelling of my youth too. Even today I consider learning German just to see what happened after issue 500-ish.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

Thank you guys for bringing this to my attention.

According to Wikipedia, the later editions that weren't translated to English were more sophisticated and less pulpy than the earlier stories.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan

In Brazil we got up issue 536, IIRC. Issues 200-299 were really interesting.

Sometimes I think about getting some digital versions available online (if you catch my drift) and running through Google Translate, but I think I will be so disappointed...

4. oldtaku Silver badge
    Trollface

And here I thought this would be about too much sauerkraut for lunch.

5. frank ly

re.Mutti

'Mutti' is the German word for 'Mum'. Can any German commentards tell us if this is used affectionately or in a different way?

1. anothercynic Silver badge

Re: re.Mutti

It is meant affectionately, i.e. mother of the nation... Mutti der Nation. ;-)

1. x 7

"It is meant affectionately, i.e. mother of the nation... Mutti der Nation. ;-)"

She'd have got on well with Kemal Attaturk then

2. dotdavid

"It is meant affectionately, i.e. mother of the nation... Mutti der Nation. ;-)"

In Britain we have a Nanny of the nation, perhaps we should call Cameron "grossmutti" ;-)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon