back to article Sorry slacktivists: The Man is shredding your robo responses

Years ago, we were told that mass democratic participation was was going to be revolutionised by the web. One click was all it would take to effect change - if only enough people clicked. We would tweet truth to power. Instead of arranging to see an elected representative, we could fill in a handy web form. The future belonged …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile back in the UK

Like quite a few people I very occasionally respond to things brought to my attention by organisations like 38 Degrees.

On this occasion, the topic was the current consultation on the future of the BBC. And how the Tories want to ditch the responses to date and replace them with a handful of focus groups instead,

I happen to know my local MP is actually interested in this, so courtesy of 38 Degrees I put a 2-paragraph note together thanking him for his actions on this subject in the past and hoping that he'll do everything he can to ensure that the consultation genuinely reflects the people's wishes, not some Westminster-selected Murdoch-compatible subset.

Within 24 hours I had a response, and it appeared to be at least slightly personalised. A very pleasant surprise, especially given that I have written to him on a couple of previous occasions and not been honoured with the privilege of a response.

In related matters, around a year ago an MP said:

"I also want to thank 38 Degrees. There is no harm in members of the public e-mailing us. There is no harm in them getting together and asking MPs what they think, what they are doing and, above all, what they intend to do about a particular issue. That is what an interactive democracy is about, and modern technology gives us the opportunity to do these things. We should not be afraid of that; we should welcome it, even if it means replying to 300 or 400 e-mails at a time. That is not complicated, and I am sure that Members will eventually get used to the idea that there is going to be a lot more interaction in the future."

Look it up. You may be surprised, or even very surprised.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile back in the UK

We should not be afraid of that; we should welcome it, even if it means replying to 300 or 400 e-mails at a time.

Until you do a time and motion study of replying to e-mails.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"We should not be afraid of that; we should welcome it, even if it means replying to 300 or 400 e-mails at a time.

Until you do a time and motion study of replying to e-mails."

Your are aware your MP is supposed to represent you, not f*&king companies!

How the F*&k else are they supposed to know what we want them to do, smoke signals? bricks with a note?

Or should they only listen to Murdock and his cronies?

1. Dr Stephen Jones

"Murdock"

It's spelled "Murdoch"

Your comment says it all really, being illiterate, ignorant and anonymous.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"a time and motion study of replying to e-mails"

Well, in addition to replying individually by hand to each email, some time-saving options include

1) Ignore the email (this is what I was expecting from my MP on this occasion)

2) Read the email, classify by subject (should be easy when organised campaigners such as 38degrees etc are involved), classify the email's position, reply once a day with "Thank you, I agree (etc)" or "Thank you, but I disagree (because ...)" unless a more specific reply is called for.

How hard can it be? These people are paid to do a full time job, even though many of them in recent years have treated being an MP as a part time occupation.

Time for some changes in Westminster.

3. The Indomitable Gall

Well, if they all sent the same email, surely it follows that they all expect the same response? All it takes is a wee change to the mail server and client and you'll be able to do exactly that.

2. Doctor_Wibble
      Boffin

In all seriousness I think you got lucky with your MP.

Replying to 300 or 400 emails at a time is easy if your software lets you do a select-all-and-reply-with-this-text to ensure everyone gets their own personal "your email is important to us" message.

Things like 38Degrees need to be used with an additional sense of when it is or is not going to be effective, and how much of a real-world counterpart is going to be needed for people to take the online part (i.e. 50,000 emails) seriously, otherwise you end up as just another facebook group diverted to the spam bucket.

TLDR: It's a 3rd party on the interwebs. Have a placard ready just in case.

1. Graham Marsden

@Doctor_Wibble - Re: Meanwhile back in the UK

> Replying to 300 or 400 emails at a time is easy if your software lets you do a select-all-and-reply-with-this-text to ensure everyone gets their own personal "your email is important to us" message.

Especially when the reply they send back simply parrots the Party Line which completely ignores all comments that anyone has made...

3. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Posted anonymously.

Thank you for that prize-winning tautological clusterfuck.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"[The original promise] was that computers would liberate us from all the old forms of political control, and we would become Randian heroes, in control of our own destiny. Instead, today, we feel the opposite - that we are helpless components in a global system - a system that is controlled by a rigid logic that we are powerless to challenge or to change" - Adam Curtis

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I've been trying to find any news about Adam Curtis since I noticed he hasn't been active on his BBC blog for about year - just before his film Bitter Lake appeared on iPlayer.

If it wasn't for a small paragraph and a photo of him appearing at a small film festival to collect an award in the Autumn for the above film, he might as well have disappeared off the face of the planet as far as the internet is concerned.

He hasn't used his Twitter account in years.

Anyone here know what he's up to?

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I'm with Morozov

Slacktivists use technology to assuage their technology-addled and coddled consciences. They play into the hands of the PR brigades who can identify which topics need some well-meaning massaging while the general fuckery is unabated. As long as people are twittering about transgender toilets for sheep, they're not protesting in the streets about the price of food, schools or hospitals.

Taking slackivists seriously is a waste of time and resources. This was cleverly satirised in The News Room which took on the "Occupy Wall Street" protests.

And if you do take slacktivists seriously they won't thank you for it because their goldfish minds will have moved on to the next thing they don't really care about.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: I'm with Morozov

So, to summarise your post: Slactivists exhibit much the same dynamics as normal politics.

Okay, so I don't completely mean that, but a discussion about the difference between the two might be constructive.

1. John Lilburne

Re: I'm with Morozov

Back in the day people stood in corners and collected 100,000s of signatures which were delivered to Downing Street or wherever and promptly ignored. Did anyone think that clicking a box on a website or sending a form email would result in anything different? Email is extremely easy to ignore it can be filtered on keywords subject lines whatever. If you want to disrupt them don't use email, use normal mail. They at least have to sort that manually. Send your complaints about the BBC to the Inland Revenue, send complaints about copyright infringement to the Ministry of Defence or the DVLA. They need to sort it from their normal mail. Execute an analogue DDoS there is nothing illegal in that.

4. Bc1609

This is pretty standard

I used to work in editorial at LexisNexis and would read the official responses to these kinds of consultations on an almost daily basis. It's usual for >90% of the public responses to be dismissed because they were auto-sent via an organization such as 38Degrees, though there's often a further explanation along the lines of "the reply did not properly address the terms of the consultation". To be fair, that's often true - the kind of ranty, feel-good letters sent by such groups (Avaaz is another one that cropped up a lot) tend to be heavy on rhetoric and light on the specific details requested by the consultation. As a measure of public sentiment it might mean something, but that's not normally what's being asked for.

Of course, this is all rather pointless anyway because the only reason that 95% of consultations are carried out in the first place is to provide some protection against judicial review of whatever decision is ultimately made - it doesn't matter whether the consultation was effective, or the results even looked at - that it took place is what's important to the law. Sir Humphrey would be very proud, I'm sure.

Sadly, I think this is probably one of the 5% of consultations that is being carried out with (some) genuine aims. Whittingdale has been very open about the fact that he doesn't yet know what to do about the BBC, and I've not heard anything from the Civil Service that indicates that any kind of decision has been made. Intelligent opinions may well have made an impact had they not been drowned in internet-assembled slurry (of course, they would have drowned in Civil Service molasses had they been listened to anyway, but this is about consultations and not the ineptitude of our tax-funded seat-warmers).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bah! Enough shouty millennials and their e petitions, tweets and emails!

Methinks you millennials have protested one too many times and politicians are no longer afraid of shouty children with way too much time on their hands and their ludicrous "causes".

Just like the "Boy who Cried Wolf"; you "Social Justice Warriors" have whined and complained too much and your collective bullying is exposed for what it is.

Now get off my lawn!

1. P. Lee

Re: Bah! Enough shouty millennials and their e petitions, tweets and emails!

>"Social Justice Warriors" have whined and complained too much

That isn't the problem. The problem is that MP's (correctly) believe that they don't care enough to do anything more than tweet. Like vote against them.

Which means they can pretty much be ignored.

1. Graham Marsden
        Thumb Down

@P. Lee - Re: Bah! Enough shouty millennials and their e petitions, tweets and emails!

> The problem is that MP's (correctly) believe that they don't care enough to do anything more than tweet. Like vote against them.

No, the MPs (correctly) believe that it doesn't matter a damn how many people complain or write petitions or stage demonstrations because of the golden rule: He who has the gold, makes the rules...

6. sandman

Sliding Scale

If you really want to change things here's a scale of effectiveness:

1. All out revolution - pretty effective, although may have undesired consequences.

2. Strikes - may work, may result in long-term unemployment.

3. Voting - for or against, your choice, it might even work.

4. Demonstrating - may be ineffective - see Iraq War demo.

# unknown: Sitting on your arse pressing a button. (Unless button is red, in which case 1. and then some).

7. John Styles

Can't both sides lose?

The MoF consultation about the BBC was ludicrously jargon ridden and (and I am no great fan of the BBC) seemed worded to be slanted towards a particular outcome.

1. Graham Marsden

@John Styles - Re: Can't both sides lose?

> seemed worded to be slanted towards a particular outcome.

Of course it was, just like every other "consultation". Governments (of whatever stripe) know what response they want to get, so they write their consultation accordingly to get that response.

38 Degrees tried to spoil their game by pointing out the flaws and suggesting how people could reply to give the answers that the people wanted instead and the Government decided to pick up their ball and go home because we wouldn't play by their (biased) rules.

8. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Pirate

Actually the ORG were right

The law gave no provision for derivative works, which could easily be treated as criminal-scale piracy. And let's face it, when have law enforcement ever worried about niceties like "what the law is supposed to mean" when there are policeman points on offer?

9. Turtle

Slow Learners Take Heart: You Too Can Be A Successful Bureaucrat.

"Whittingdale [...] scrapped the consultation, and has started it all over again."

Because some people never learn.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Slow Learners Take Heart: You Too Can Be A Successful Bureaucrat.

Alternatively, "If at first you don't succeed..."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

one glaring problem

there is NO SUCH THING as a "prosumer". No matter how much you spend on what boutique advertised stuff, you're still a "consumer". Renaming one's place because you bought into different advertising is meaningless. vegan free range conflict free computerized solar powered espresso machines are still a device, as "essential" or not as any poor bastard who picks up a percolator at a big chain. No more, no less. You can't then pretend to be different than that guy who couldn't crank out $5K or more for his coffeemaker.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: one glaring problem

It was a strange choice to use the word 'prosumer' in that context.

I've always taken it to designate kit, not people. That is, equipment that a skilled professional could use to produce professional quality results but isn't as pricey as their normal tools, and that is usually sold to enthusiasts, would-be professionals, students, or 'all the gear and no idea' idiots.

In the context, the word seems to have been used to describe amateur film makers who are earnestly attempting to make a film based on IP owned by someone else. I.e, fans.

You're right, it's not the right word.

As for coffee, I use a £30 Aeropress for convenience (don't need a wall socket for an espresso-like brew, quick to use, easy to clean), whereas my friend uses a £1000 (bought second-hand) Jura bean-to-cup machine... again, for convenience.

11. Darryl

38 Degrees' description of their name reminds me of Despair.com's 'Teamwork' poster...

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

12. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Sentencing

"and sentencing has historically been left to our independent judiciary, not crowd-pleasing politicians."

The crowd-pleasing politicians make the law and set min and max sentences for various crimes. Guideline are also issued for a more nuanced decision by the Judge. Mandatory custodial sentences for knife crime is an example.

The judiciary may be independent (a good thing) but must act within constraints.

(UK, not sure about the rest of the world.)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

Department of Culture, Media and Sport

It's the Ministry of Fun. End of.

14. Tony W

Hardly one click

The future of the BBC is probably of interest to a lot of UK residents, but from the questions, this consultation seemed to be aimed mainly at media professionals. I don't think any of the many questions had one-click options, they all required properly thought out text answers that addressed the issues. I, and friends and family that I alerted to the consultation, spent at least half an hour each thinking about our responses - which we did completely independently. We're not pleased that our homework has been binned.

If 38 Degrees allowed multiple responses, they are at fault - but not the only ones, because as far as I remember, their page merely redirected users to the government one. And the fact that such a high proportion of answers came via one source really shows how badly the consultation was written and publicised. Maybe the government was hoping to sneak it through largely unnoticed. If so, then 38 Degrees has at least made this a bit less likely.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pointless email

I've been a contractor at three organisations which have been subjected to massive email campaigns orchestrated by 38 Degrees and three others which have been on the receiving end of other roboform generated activism.

All six simply implemented a mail filter at the exchange level to block email as soon as it was identified. In the case of 38 Degrees, I believe they use a predictable enough email source that all emails get blocked now so every future campaign will simply be invisible.

I honestly think the goals of these groups is admirable, its just that technology isnt on their side.

Twitter and Farcebook campaigns might be more effective because the target cant limit the inbound flow.

1. Graham Marsden

Re: Pointless email

> all emails get blocked now so every future campaign will simply be invisible.

So even if all of those e-mails were from unique individuals and not simply an attempt to astroturf the voting, the attitude would be "you couldn't write something different, so fuck you, we're not going to pay any attention to you"?

Hmm, "Hands up everyone who disagrees with this... Ok you all put your hands up identically, so we'll ignore you and go ahead anyway."

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"So even if all of those e-mails were from unique individuals and not simply an attempt to astroturf the voting, the attitude would be "you couldn't write something different, so fuck you, we're not going to pay any attention to you"?"

Agreed. Point'n'click., no thought required, is not the way to go.

In which case, people like 38Degrees need to out more effort into creating a system whereby their members can customise and individualise their response instead of simply clicking a button to send of a form letter which may or may not have all the points the member agrees/disagrees with.

Instead of 38Degrees producing a single form letter sent from their own servers, how hard would it be to list all the salient points in a form and allow the user to choose which points they want to make. The form generator could then randomise the order of the selected points and even use a text generator to make each point response a little different.

It could even generate a mailto: link for the user to click and send it from their own address, or at least on on screen display for the member to cut'b'past into their webmail.

I'm sure there are many ways protest groups can make unique and less blockable email campaigns work without the poor members having to do little more than read the issue, try to understand it. then make a choice and, you know, do a little more than an outraged Daily Fail "click to support" kneejerk response.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@john brown (no body)

Perfectly good suggestions - no idea why people downvoted them.

16. scrubber
    Megaphone

Technology and public outrage groups ...

... enabling us to assuage or guilt about being rich and middle class by expending absolutely no energy and responding emotionally to issues we know nothing about and can't be bothered investigating let alone doing something about personally.

Says the guy ranting into a comments box on El Reg.

17. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

"Whittingdale decided this was unrepresentative...

"...scrapped the consultation, and has started it all over again."

And there we see the attitude of certain people (and our Government) writ large: If you hold a consultation and don't get the answer you want, just claim that the answers are "unrepresentative" and you can go back and try again until you *do* get an answer you like.

I was one of that 92% and the fact of the matter is that the Government's "consultation" on the BBC (like so many others) was (deliberately?!) badly written, misleading and rigged to try to steer people towards responding in a certain way.

The fact that people refused to respond as the Government wanted shows the power of organisations like 38 Degrees, but it seems that there are those who prefer to denigrate their efforts with sneering comments and misrepresentative implications, based simply on their personal opinions.

18. Kanhef

As I recall from when the FCC was soliciting comments on net neutrality, they essentially analyzed responses for uniqueness and discarded duplicates. Seems like a good way to keep form letters from dominating the responses without having to scrap the entire thing.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Democracy is a commercial thing.

Why is anyone surprised at this?

The real problem with modern British democracy is that is following the American pattern, career politicians who have been paid off by big business. Formerly we had at least a few that had risen from the "real world" and had gone into public life to make a difference - sadly now it seems to be the domain of some workshy wannabes that feel they have the answer to everything based on the experience of nothing, and operate under the mistaken belief that they "own" us and our lives, freedom and rights, rather than serve us which is how it is SUPPOSED to be. To act in the way they have illustrates how arrogant Government has become in the UK.

Responses no matter where from are valid and should be addressed, this is part of the very respect that Politicians demand for themselves. What they hate is the fact that t'interwebs gives people a way to gather support of an issue and focus a voice. The fact that the submission is a roboform just means that at best the response is a "vote" on a subject that may otherwise be unheard, it is simply convenient to do it this way. I have particiapted in campaigns by both groups on a couple of subjects I have had stroing views on, and have always added thoughts to my submission, THIS IS AS VALID AS ANY SUBMISSION FROM ANY OTHER PARTY - ESPECIALLY BUSINESS LOBBYING GROUPS - whose views dont seem to be given the same disgraceful treatment - proving that Money talks in our "democracy" and has a far louder voice than the average guy who actually holds the franchise (vote).

If you are involved in a pressure group such as ORG or 38 degrees you cant count in their estimation because you most likely haven't contributed in the correct way, It is of course only corrupt if you are an average private citizen, different rules apply in politics, business and wealth. They cannot tolerate the organising of resistance by ordinary people to laws they propose or want to change. They feel they know better than us, and having to respond to a decent number of objections wastes their precious time.

Its the usual thing with politics except that they are not usually so brazen in their disregard of the opinions of members of the electorate - although on this scale it is hard to disguise when it involves those affiliated to one group.

If the opinions of the electorate counted they would outlaw voting - the only time they pretend to listen is when they want our votes at elections which they seem to consider a necessary distraction from the business of earning their post political feather bed, while the rest of us see the rights we have paid for stripped away or moved further down the road.

A pox on modern politicians, a bunch of rich kids with no life experience.

20. 's water music

Ministry of Fun

A Reg-ism?

I'd not be so enthusiastic to appropriate David Mellor's leavings as my own

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice censoring your doing andrew

Comment seem highly censored on this story, nice to see how far the Reg has fallen with the new crew in charge, Seem like I'll need to find a better site once again!.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice censoring your doing andrew

Rejected comments do not equal censorship and never have. Go make that noise somewhere else.

On this specific bit of paranoia - One comment in this thread - someone being rude to another commenter - has been rejected, by me - at The Register since 1997.

1. John Lilburne

OTOH I've had 4 posts rejected in the last year, and it can take up to 12hr to get one approved. None of which were being rude to another commentator, and though they may have been less than complimentary to Google and wikipedia, none were libellous either.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Nice censoring your doing andrew

A quick look at moderation history by me. Accusing public figures of lying / dissembling will always prick up the moderators' ears.

1. John Lilburne

You have articles about it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/10/eu_copyright_fears_nixed_wikipedia/

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

38 degrees not leftist

Andrew your showing your bias again!.

They are non-political crossing many party lines, of course more whining is done at the tories they are the ones in power, doing random sh*t we didn't tell them we wanted doing, presuming that 30% support from the voters gives them a mandate to f*&K us all! for their friend's (in this case Murdock!!)

23. AndyJenk

Why not ignore JUST THE SPAM?

What evidence is there that 38 Degrees allowed multiple submissions? If a person emailed multiple submissions direct to the government what is the difference? It is the receiver's responsibility to filter out multiple submissions by a person and ignore THOSE not the vast majority which were not. Filtering multiple emails from the same address is not rocket science and not labour intensive. Also MPs could subvert petitions by creating multiple submissions themselves to justify rejecting genuine views.

I sent an email direct to my MP who said he was ignoring it because it was prompted by 38 Degrees! Where is the accountability if MPs ignore the same oppinion from more than one person?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

The "truth" about the ever increasing cry (by the "establishment") regarding the alleged assault by bots is they are, for those paying any attention at all, incredibly selective in their scrutiny and action against robo posts. Why is this rabidly inconsistent behavior a threat to the common man? Simply put, the "establishment" itself, and those that support it, are far and away the worst offenders of robo posting around the world today. Which means that it is the establishment itself which is using the claim of robo posting as a red herring to override the voices of the masses when ever and where ever it suits their needs.

The 2 most blatant, egregious, and ultimately the most dangerous and damaging examples are the establishments use of robo posting to manipulate the demise of net neutrality in the United States and the engineering of fictitious opposition to Brexit in England. These 2 actions without question represent a direct attack against the common man by the ruling elite. IMHO of course.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like