Broadband / Phone provider sought

This topic was created by adnim .

1. adnim

Broadband / Phone provider sought

As an old BE customer I find Sky a corporate behemoth that does not give a shit for it's clients cattle.

Can someone please recommend an ISP that provides a good service and a static IP address?

Preferably an independent that cares, if any exist

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. adnim

Re: Broadband / Phone provider sought

I am paranoid and somewhat a control freak. I don't trust third parties to care enough should there be issues. I feel comfortable that my hardware is a home build under my desk with spares and back ups readily on hand. I accept the connection can always fail and that is something I will never have control of. I have thought of dynamic DNS and this is the way I may go.

Thank you for the advice.

2. Known Hero

Weirdly, I have heard good things about plusnet. Although my uncle has had quite a few headaches trying to get a stable line. If you already have a working line, then you shouldn't have any worries.

Other provider I have heard good things from, but is slightly pricier is Zen internet.

1. adnim

Thanks

I am sorted now. I have decided to give Utility Warehouse a go. I get broadband, phone and mobile for around the same price I was paying Sky for broadband and phone. Plus a static IP address, no port blocking and unlimited bandwidth. And no contract, so if they do not live up to expectations I can just leave.

3. Chris Walsh
    Thumb Up

PlusNet offer a static IP address for a one-off fee of £5

Been with PlusNet for a couple of years on their fibre option.

I work a lot from home and use a site-to-site VPN with the office.

BT wanted me to go "business class" to get a static IP.

Plusnet were happy to provide me with one for a one-off fee of £5.

Generally pretty happy with the service.

4. anoni mouse

I've been looking at Origin, no idea what they are like but they offer a static ip for an extra £1 a month and for me at least would work out cheaper than plusnet. Work uses plusnet with no problems.

1. StripeyMiata

I've been with them since August last year, they actually resell Plusnet if you live outside Sheffield, I think they have their own Fibre in Sheffield city but none outside. So I'm with Plusnet but pay slightly less.

Had a few hours downtime during this problem - http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/10/plusnet-users-suffer-outages-dns-problems

But apart from that been solid and fast enough.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Plusnet - awful

I've recently left Plusnet after over 2 years, for sometime they were okay. But I have found that over the last 12 months or so they are showing themselves (IMHO) to be just a shadow puppet of BT.

In short they make promises that they later retract and deny that they ever made. Year in year out they hike up line rental changes (and have the audacity to claim that they haven't increased the cost of it packages!).

You spend most of your time arguing down the phone and being put on hold for 20 minutes (you know I used to love 80's music but I swear I'll get dragged off in a strait jacket if I hear Heaven17, Robert Palmer or The Human League just one more time).

I would say that at Plusnet the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing but that would be unfair as the left hand would need to know that there is a right hand in the first instance.

I finally after much protracted arguing over contracts with Plusnet migrated across to Origin. At present speeds I think are still stabilising, downloads are a bit slower at present but uploads are around 80% faster, although download is carrying a 10db SNR margin).

It's way too early to comment concerning line speeds, but connection seems very stable (with 10db margin it would be) but service from staff so far is really good. I have a designated person (Dan) handling accounts (even though it is just a home account for each of my 2 adsl lines). When I speak to staff they seem to know what they are talking about ( yes I know they should, but this is polar opposite of my experience with Plusnet).

Oh and I also save a very substantial amount of money doing business with Origin compared to Plusnet.

All in all it is early days but I am extremely happy with Origin so far.

So if you have had enough of your ISP and feel like you are being taken for granted and duped (how I felt with Plusnet) then give Origin a call and ask for Dan, I think you will probably be pleasantly surprised at what they can do.

5. adnim
    Happy

Update

Been with Utility warehouse for a few months now. I can't complain. Connection speed is a meg up on Sky. They DON'T charge me for services I do not use... Unlike Sky who charged me for NOT using Sky TV.

Once during the early hours of the morning.... 3-4am a few weeks ago broadband was down for 10-15 mins.. I have not noticed any other downtime. They email me to tell me my bill is ready a week before they take the funds from my account... My static IP address was free, further static IP's are a fiver. So far so good. I have not noticed any traffic shaping or throttling.

Smiley cos I smiling

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon