back to article China has a chip to fry with y'all: Wants its own chip smarts and fabs

China is making more moves as it tries to set up an indigenous and patent-protected semi-conductor chip capability. Xu Jinghong, the chairman of Tsinghua Holdings, said in a Davos World Economic Forum interview that Tsinghua wanted to buy two semi-conductor manufacturing companies. Analyst haus Stifel Nicolaus' MD Aaron …

1. Christoph

So you can buy Western chips with NSA backdoors, or Chinese chips with Chinese backdoors.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or management authentication issue's

1. BillG
        Mushroom

It's more than that. When I worked (worked? it was FUN!) as a technical marketing manager for a major semiconductor company, my customers were all the major technology manufacturers in the USA and Europe. I knew their corporate roadmaps for the next three years, their product plans, the inner workings of all their stuff.

Do you want China to know what's in Ford's cars for the next three years, or the inner workings of Cisco's next generation routers, or the hardware and software inside Boeing's newest aircraft before it's released? Semiconductor companies know all these things. They know the real technology future. Do we want the Chinese government to have this information?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Do we want the Chinese government to have this information?

Depends on the market. I'm sure Rolls Royce would rather the Chinese military had this info than the US government, who would pass it on to GE just before negotiations with a US airline about whose engines get bought

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Meh

I'm sure Rolls Royce would rather the Chinese military had this info than the US government,

That said last time I checked Jet engine EMU's were running on things like Z80's and M68K's.

Not exactly cutting edge.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm sure Rolls Royce would

Those nice people in Derby have , like everybody else in that business, been using the mil-spec variants of tried and tested stuff like Z8002 (RIP) and 68xxx. Apparently they've also been using a home brewed simple MIPS-alike for a decade or two. I'm not personally aware of any engine controllers that ran on Z80, but in that era there were actually some PDP8-based systems (well, specifically, the Intersil/Harris 6100).

More recently RR's control system people appear to have developed an unusual cacheless RISC follow-on to their MIPSalike, which now includes features like speculative execution, branch prediction, etc (in a low production volume safety critical system), complete with its own flavor of gcc. Does RR's new top man (Warren East, ex top man at ARM) know of this development (which predates his arrival), or understand why it is supposed to make engineering sense in comparison with (say) a tried and tested licenced processor derivative in a hardened ASIC?

2. Mikel

@BillG

Oh please. China knows what color underwear you put on this morning, and they got the info from the NSA. They have spies in every major industry - many who don't even know they're spies. They already have this information you are afraid they are going to get, and in many cases their people were involved in making it.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

" [...] Do we want the Chinese government to have this information?"

I was rather under the impression that they already have most of it.

2. John Savard

Evidently, there's a market opportunity here for Finland or Switzerland.

3. MyffyW Silver badge

I'd always choose Uncle Sam over the Peoples Liberation Army... mind you if you ask for chips from the yanks you'll end up with a packet of crisps.

2. Peter2 Silver badge

With that amount of cash to throw around I'm half surprised that China hasn't simply bought AMD.

1. P0l0nium

AMD's X86 license becomes invalid if there's a "Change of Control".

1. Fibbles

That wouldn't necessarily prevent a buyout. If AMD gets taken over and their agreement with Intel ends, then Intel also loses access to AMD's patent portfolio.

I can't imagine Intel refusing to strike a new deal. They've got nothing with which to replace x86-64 as their main architecture.

1. P0l0nium

Nope ... If either party undergoes a "change of control" then the other party keeps the rights.

It was a clause put in the agreement to prevent "Sugar Daddies" muscling in.

1. Fibbles

Nope ... If either party undergoes a "change of control" then the other party keeps the rights.

It was a clause put in the agreement to prevent "Sugar Daddies" muscling in.

That's not what I saw reported but even if true I'd be very surprised if Intel didn't negotiate a new deal with AMD's new owners. If Intel ever becomes the sole producer of x86 chips they'll be at serious risk of the wrath of various competition watchdogs.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Well, if that's true then it effectively prevents people from buying AMD. Since buying AMD (or somebody investing a huge amount of money in it) is about the only way that anybody is ever going to seriously threaten Intel's on the desktop/server processor front again it's a nice cheap way of ensuring a dominant market position for Intel.

2. MyffyW Silver badge

With the PRC as backers I'd be far from surprised if they bought Intel.

3. John Savard

I suppose it must be frustrating to the mainland's leadership that tiny little Taiwan has TSMC, a company that owns one of the world's biggest fabs. AMD, of course, is fabless; China would have to buy GlobalFoundries instead, and Dubai may not be selling.

4. Rol

Warning, turbulence ahead.

So, do I wait a few months for the current chip players to drop their prices to make the whole deal look slightly unpalatable, or wait until China ramps up a glut. making a bucket of Cornish sand more expensive than a bucket of Chinese nand?

I'm looking forward to the day I can replace my 3KW electric heater with the equivalent BTU output in DRAM for about the same price.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Warning, turbulence ahead.

If it's the heat you want, maybe you should consider systems using electron bulbs?

5. JosephEngels

IP Rights

But we could simply ignore any IP related issues and laugh, claim it was some other guy, claim it "is being investigated" ,or simply forget how to speak whatever language they are talking in.. just like they do when we complain about Chinese companies infringing our IP...

6. Erik4872

Interesting times

Everyone loves to talk about US government corporate welfare, but China kind of takes it to a new level. We'll see how long it takes to go from "we want a chip fab and semiconductor manufacturer" to "People's Semiconductor buys Intel _and_ AMD on same day in $10 trillion mega-merger!" That would get around that "change of control" clause in AMD's x86 license.

The big difference seems to be that Chinese industry is much more aligned with state policy, which makes sense in their system. From an outsider looking in, it's pretty amazing how quickly resources are diverted to projects deemed critical. Very different from the US federal government being unable to channel highway refurbishment funds to avoid the occasional collapsing bridge...

1. Lars Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Interesting times

And the solution is of course to cut taxes for the rich and the big companies, funny how the USA got to the moon with the higher taxation then.

2. Mikel

The Top500 supercomputer list is something of a superpower penis measuring stick. China took the top spot three years ago with their Tianhe-2 based on Intel Phi coprocessors and has held it since as they build it out. The US has the fewest supers on the list than it has had since the list was started in 1993. Tianhe-2 is nearly twice as powerful as the second best, Titan at a US DOE site, and China is still building it out. China has more supers on the list than ever before.

So of course the US banned Intel from exporting the Xeon Phi coprocessors to China. And of course China responded by starting to work around the restriction.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The big difference seems to be that Chinese industry is much more aligned with state policy, which makes sense in their system.

Isn't working out so well for Chinese heavy industry and infrastructure, is it? State bureaucrats picking winners is a recipe for failure, and has been wherever it has been tried, and we're just entering the unravelling phase of China's infrastructure growth plans, where they find that there's no happy ending when you have manufacturing capacity at least double the reliable world demand for coal, cement, steel, shipbuilding, or construction work, all funded by debt they will never repay.

Semiconductors sound a lovely growth idea, but sadly they aren't manpower intensive, nor will they demand the sort of skills of (for example) the 100,000 workers laid off by Longmay Group (a large Chinese coal mining conglomerate) late last year. So seeking to build some national champions in semi fabrication isn't that clever - capital intensive, high risk, low job count, all in a cyclical industry with high fixed costs. It'll play out like the other commodity industries that the party has allowed to build up.

Just as the Soviet Union was bankrupted by economic sclerosis and excessive state directed spending (largely on the military), China is at risk of doing the same, except that the state spending is on state-directed "capitalism".

"Just as the Soviet Union was bankrupted by economic sclerosis and excessive state directed spending (largely on the military), China is at risk of doing the same, except that the state spending is on state-directed "capitalism"."

I was all set to contradict your post initally, but this is a very intriguing thesis. (For the potential irony alone... but yes, you might be on to something.)

Anyone here with a solid enough footing in economics to weigh in competently?

(Please - no trolling, no timewasters.)

1. Peter2 Silver badge

China isin't just building throwing money at a single area though. They are investing in an entire set of industries that eliminates their dependence on the west. FFS- they are selling Britain nuclear reactors because the country that designed the first civil nuclear power plant no longer has the skills to build them!

When it comes to processors, whilst their in house processors probably aren't going to wipe intel and AMD out in terms of performance they don't really need to. Achieve 20% of the performance of an intel/AMD chip and you can do everything but gaming.

China can already produce things faster than that, and given their internal market is a about 20% of humanity then they clearly have a "good enough" product for people who can't afford wintel which is large enough to be economically viable even if they don't export. Externally, a cheap but effective PC would also appear to have markets in India, and probably also Africa. This ignoring the devices that China sells to us that has to contain processors even if they aren't PC's.

No, I would say that China is at no immediate risk of bankrupting themselves by state directed spending. Most of their spending has a economic return on investment. Compare this to US Government spending. The potential ROI on having the largest military on the planet (spending more than the next ten largest militaries- many of whom are allies) is quite low in comparison. Which is more likely to go bust?

It's not China.

7. Alistair
    Windows

IP rampage.

I'm surprised that the RIAA and MPAA haven't yet sued the chinese for copyright or patent violation.

Sounds *very* much like their processes.....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Export controls?

What's the state of play with dual-use export control rules these days? Are China permitted to buy these things?

More specifically, who makes the critical bits of the chip production process (steppers and such?) and whose export control rules apply?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper

Re: Export controls?

Most of them are european, either Zeiss or ASML. Of course if you really want to advance the field you restrict exports of these and force China to throw dozens of universities and 1000s of researchers at inventing something better.

9. ian 22

All it takes is oodles of Renminbi

I've always wondered why China didn't purchase a load of FABs and begin riding the technology escalator. They certainly had the cash - more then than now.

Re: All it takes is oodles of Renminbi

As far as I understand it they work from a long term script, and maybe buying FABs was simply scheduled for a later time. Perhaps they are re-writing the script just now. But that's just a hunch, so call me Igor.

The value is in learning how to operate a fab and tweak performance and get the next generation working. There is no value in simply buying an offshore fab - you might as well just contract TMSC to make chips for you.

The reason Intel are so far ahead is that they have the hands on production engineers to make the thing work.

1. Mikel

Intel has the best engineers. Unfortunately they are managed by MBA muppets who think Windows is the answer to everything because their technology chops are limited to basic Excel spreadsheets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like