back to article Boozing is unsafe at ‘any level’, thunders chief UK.gov quack

The government’s chief advisor on health ignored more than 80 studies to produce her new Puritanical guidelines on booze – which asks Britons to forego their Friday drink. Civil servant Dame Sally Davies has drawn up the lowest recommendations in the West: there is no “safe drinking level”, her team declared. The question is …

Page:

1. Graham Triggs

Boozing definitely isn't safe if your pints are the colour shown in that photo

1. Big O

I have had a pint that came out around that hue - and was supposed to. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called (due to too much beer?) or I'd look it up to find out how they went about brewing it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

"Can't for the life of me remember what it was called "

Green Dragon - Pint glass. 1" orange juice, 1 shotish of Blue Curaceu (hic), two to four shots of gin and/or vodka to taste and fill up with "snake bite" (50/50 lager/cider). To add a bit more interest, use barley wine and scrumpy for the Snake Bite component. This beast tastes a lot nicer than it sounds and should have a clean crisp flavour. Bloody lethal though.

However a Green Dragon is not transparent and more grass green.

1. a cynic writes...

Bloody hell...The gin and the orange juice were a new one on me. The version I used to drink 20-odd years ago was just a snake bite and Blue Curacao.

One abiding memory is when I introduced a mate to them. A few hours later he was praying at the porcelain alter and I heard the plaintive wail "...you fucking bastard - IT'S GREEN" .

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Purple Nasty...same principles but blackcurrant + vodka + snakebite. Works quite well; but the blackcurrant gives it a sort of fruit juice taste which usually means that the victi drinker drinks it waaaay faster than is good for them.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Oh god! The memories! My friend drank 9 bottles of Orange Hooch. I guess the Yanks had to do something with their left over Agent Orange, when the Cold War ended.

I've never seen fizzy, Sunny Delight coloured vomit before.

His plaintive cry, while praying to the porcelain, was "mummy". He wasn't allowed to forget this fact. He didn't drink it again.

That shit can shorten your life.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Bloody hell...The gin and the orange juice were a new one on me"

The OJ + Blue Curacao is what makes it green 8)

4. Omgwtfbbqtime
            Thumb Up

@a cynic writes

The Percy Arms in Newcastle used to sell that under the name "Duckhams Hypergrade"

2. Marky

Big O - it could have been "Sign of Spring" from Bunces Brewery, makers of Stonehenge Ales. An excellent ale!

3. grumpyoldeyore
        Pint

Can't for the life of me remember what it was called

Stonehenge Ales Sign of Spring? http://www.stonehengeales.co.uk/sign_of_spring.html

I've drunk it and lived to tell the tale

4. John Geek

I remember a norwegian or danish or something import by the name of Green Rooster that was fairly bright green. It was a quite boring export lager other than the color.

5. Vic

I have had a pint that came out around that hue - and was supposed to. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called

Stonehenge do a beer called "Sign of Spring", which is green. I've not tasted it.

There was another one a few years ago; I've forgotten the name. It wasn't up to much...

Vic.

2. MyffyW Silver badge

I was wondering what that young lady was doing with two pints of crème-de-menthe.

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Happy

I was wondering what that young lady was doing with two pints of crème-de-menthe

"Garçon! Two pints of Absinthe por favor!

And the same for my friend!"

1. Chika

Don't forget - Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...

1. x 7

"Absinthe makes the farts green longer"

FIFY

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Billy Connolly used to tell a joke about this.

Two Glaswegians find themselves in Rome, and ask for two pints of "heavy" in a bar. The barman says he's never heard of that, so they ask him what the Pope drinks.

The barman says "I believe the Pope drinks crème-de-menthe".

"Ok", say the Glaswegians, "we'll have two pints of that then".

After downing their green pints and standing up to leave the bar, one Glaswegian turns to the other and says "Christ, no wonder they carry him around in a chair".

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Creme de Menthe

is my nick name..

I'm a fancy French licker..

3. disgruntled yank

colors

There are bars in the US that will serve green-dyed lager on St. Patrick's Day. I don't remember it being quite that Kool Aid green, but then it has been quite a while since I saw it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: colors

I was on a skiing holiday in Breckenridge, Colorado in 1993 over St Patrick's Day. Not only do they put green food dye in the beer (improves the flavour was one comment, and that was from an Australian!), but they also had a town "Beer Race".

The course consisted of a few miles interspersed by nominated bars in which the competitor had to down a medium sized (green) beer. In earlier years it had been a gentle stroll but as with everything USA, it had turned into a hard competition.

Breckenridge was a lovely old mining town especially covered in fresh clean snow. It wasn't improved with hundreds of dollops of green foaming ejecta from competitors lightening the load.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"There are bars in the US that will serve green-dyed lager on St. Patrick's Day."

Lager? Fscking heathens!

1. TRT Silver badge

That was a joke in Star Trek wasn't it? It is... it is... Green.

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

Eh, that and the bottle redhead are standard fixtures for St. Patrick's Day on this side of the pond. "Green beer means you're Irish"

1. Loud Speaker

Guiness is not supposed to be that colour.

You are supposed to brew it with Liffey water, not Iffy water.

5. Roo
      Windows

"Boozing definitely isn't safe if your pints are the colour shown in that photo"

Agreed, that's a terribly vulgar way to consume vast quantities of Absinthe.

6. el_oscuro

Yeah, yellow number 5 and blue number 2 will definitely mess you up.

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

el_oscuro "...blue number 2..."

Crikey. If your 'number 2s' are blue, see a doctor.

2. TRT Silver badge

Number 5 and number 2?

Is that like when you ask for a number 1 or 2?

So vomit is... 3? No. Vomit is 4.

You should ask in binary. So a number 3 is a number 1 and 2 simultaneously. A number 5 is a wee whilst being sick. And a number 7 is a typical night out in Glasgow.

7. Teiwaz

Boozing definitely isn't safe if your pints are the colour shown in that photo

You're urine shouldn't be that colour after a few either...

Green pints - It's not 'Loob' is it?

( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089622/ - for those too young to know of it ).

8. Semtex451
      Coat

My pee is that colour, is this a bad sign?

I'll get my coat and head to my GP then.

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Looks like

a "brain damage". Half lager, half cider, shot of blue bols.

Tastes like lilt and gets you well rubbered...

10. Efros

Pint of lager laced with a couple of creme de menthes was dubbed a Green Bastard in Glasgow. No subtlety there, but then we are talking about the city where it was not uncommon to see Carlsberg Special Brew on pub tariffs listed as "Leg Opener".

2. Dr Who

Thank God

For El Reg!

There I was feeling like a pariah and thanks to you, the Registrati, I feel normal again. Let's face it, most of us have sailed past the new weekly limit before breakfast on a Monday. By the end of a boozy Sunday lunch sitting in front of the snooker with a couple of cold ones I should, it appears, be dead. Instead, as the white ball clacks softly into the black, I find myself blissfully at one with the world and all creatures that inhabit it.

1. Just Enough

Re: Thank God

If you've "sailed past" 14 units before Monday morning, then you are not "normal". You have a problem. And no, "most of us" do not spend Sunday downing more than the equivalent of seven pints of lager. If you seriously believe that then you're seriously deluded.

The amount of bullshit macho posturing that goes on about alcohol consumption is pathetic. The fact you drink alcohol doesn't, in itself, make you a better person. It doesn't make you more of a loveable bloke, it doesn't make you more normal, it certainly doesn't make you more witty (there's nothing more boring than a drunk who thinks he's hilarious) and it isn't something worth crowing about. It just means you like a drink. You may as well brag about your potato crisp consumption.

I'm not a teetotaller, but I understand that, like everything, moderation is the key. And I don't feel the need to strut about proclaiming "See me, I drink lots me! Cos I'm such a damn fine bloke. And so does everyone else!"

As for these guidelines; if you don't like them then ignore them. No one is forcing you to do anything. They're mainly for the kind of idiots who don't accept responsibility for their own lives and, once they end up in hospital getting their stomach pumped, wail "This isn't my fault! Why did nobody tell me!"

3. Rich 11

Some or of all these things may not matter to you – but they matter to bureaucrats and diplomats when they meet on a junket.

Would there be free drinks available as part of this junket?

1. BlartVersenwaldIII
      Angel

As much free drinks as you like, however owing to new leath and safety legislation from now on all gin and tonics will be replaced by the much healthier Sivolvian chinanto/mnigs. Mmmmmm, Taste The Health Benefits!™

4. Donchik

Me?

Ish sho unfair!

I'm heintarly shobor and will remain sho, eshpeshely ash I driv home shoon...

I notice they've even misspelt Shubmit!

5. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Boffin

I predict...

Many comments. I could dive in and add my two-pennyworth but I'm still looking through the report and I'm certainly not relying on the newspaper "summaries". Most interesting observation to date - the report is one covering general health issues, including the important topic on the prospects for funding future care for an ageing population. Of course, everyone's talking about the booze.

This will have to do for a Sir Humphrey icon.

1. NotBob
      Pint

Re: I predict...

Of course, in the request for comments it says: "We are not asking for comments on the scientific evidence or how the expert group has used it to decide on their recommendations"

Even they knew it was shite.

Now I'm off for a drink.

6. MT Field
    Pint

Earned mine on Tuesday so I'm going to throw all caution to the wind tonight

1. Amorous Cowherder
      Coat

I throw my caution to the wind last week, ended up with wet trousers!

7. Locky
    Pint

I would put a pithy comment about this but...

it's beer o'clock time....

8. This post has been deleted by its author

1. BenDwire Silver badge
      Facepalm

According to the Beeb: ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35255384 )

"The 14-unit limit has been chosen because at that point, your drinking leads to a 1% risk of dying from alcohol-related causes.

This has been deemed to be an acceptable level of risk as it is approximately the same risk that someone has when they do an every day task such as driving a car."

and,

"Prof Sir David Spiegelhalter, an expert in understanding risk from the University of Cambridge, said it was important to put the 1% risk in context. He said an hour of TV watching or a bacon sandwich a couple of time a week was more dangerous."

So, not only can't we get bladdered any more, we can't sober up with a bacon sarnie whilst watching telly.

Please. Won't someone think of the children?

1. hplasm
        Pint

Aiee!

"it is approximately the same risk that someone has when they do an every day task such as driving a car."

Well, if it ain't safe to have a drink, it ain't safe to go to work. I quit!

1. R Callan

Re: Aiee!

It's worse than you think. As far back as I can detect, all of my deceased relatives, with the exception of a great uncle who snuggled up to an exploding shell in 1915, have died in bed! Perhaps beds (and acceptable substitutes like chairs or floors) should be banned as being far far far too dangerous.

1. Vic

Re: Aiee!

Perhaps beds... should be banned as being far far far too dangerous.

If you look at the stats, over 90% of all deaths occur in hospital, whereas less than 2% occur in pubs.

If ever I'm mortally wounded - get me to a boozer. It's just safer...

Vic.

2. swampdog

Pigs in bacon

Wasn't there a study just before xmas where bacon is less environmentally friendly than here? It was here (I think) - reported, as opposed to pigs and/or bacon being here.

3. Stoneshop
        Boffin

Risk comparison

"Prof Sir David Spiegelhalter, an expert in understanding risk from the University of Cambridge,

How does this compare to the risk from Oxford, from Imperial College and, say, MIT or Stanford?

4. Chika
        Pint

Please. Won't someone think of the children?

They can buy their own...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon